SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #676 of 2,082
Listening back many of old CD collection, there wasn't any bass to heavy problem. Look like record labels especially those Pop stars label, have intentionally have their songs EQ to heavy bass tuned :frowning2:

Below music is FLAC0 ripped from Chuck Mangione 24K gold audiophile CD

Screenshot_20181021-131017_Samsung Music.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #677 of 2,082
LDAC requires Android 8 (Oreo). The iBasso website says that Android Oreo beta firmware is now available for the DX200. You would have to install this before you can use LDAC. You might also want to install the Sony Headphones app.

FWIW: I use my XM3 with NW-ZX2, which is running Android 4.2 and apparently LDAC is working fine.....

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #679 of 2,082
Listening back many of old CD collection, there wasn't any bass to heavy problem. Look like record labels especially those Pop stars label, have intentionally have their songs EQ to heavy bass tuned :frowning2:
If the track has lots of bass, it emphasizes it. Modern pop, etc.. tend to support the music with bass. But, certain tracks that's more instrumental with or without vocals don't really get such bass because I think the bass starts to lift at about 200hz.

I think when people say, if the track pushes out lots of bass, it pushes it out, but if not, it doesn't. I think this could explain such a scenario.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #680 of 2,082
If the track has lots of bass, it emphasizes it. Modern pop, etc.. tend to support the music with bass. But, certain tracks that's more instrumental with or without vocals don't really get such bass because I think the bass starts to lift at about 200hz.

I think when people say, if the track pushes out lots of bass, it pushes it out, but if not, it doesn't. I think this could explain such a scenario.
The sound recording engineer or producer should choose to record all instruments in their original sound quality, not emphasis it or specially tuned for heavy bass

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #681 of 2,082
The sound recording engineer or producer should choose to record all instruments in their original sound quality, not emphasis it or specially tuned for heavy bass
Unfortunately, this is not the reality, and depends on the type of music genre. This is why even with transparent gear, we get variations in recording response. For pop music, it's the type of sound they'd like to try to create new/different sound, and make heavy use of electronic sounds and processing. There are also sound producers that are into specific genre of music like classical or jazz, or other types of instrumentals taking importance in raw-ness of sound. I think it's just a matter of what music you'd like to focus on. Somebody may prefer the lifted bass of the XM3 due to their music preference in more mainstream pop and hip-hop. Fortunately, the headphone doesn't get upper-bass warmth of the Beats which creates too much mid warmth that reduces coherency.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #682 of 2,082
Unfortunately, this is not the reality, and depends on the type of music genre. This is why even with transparent gear, we get variations in recording response. For pop music, it's the type of sound they'd like to try to create new/different sound, and make heavy use of electronic sounds and processing. There are also sound producers that are into specific genre of music like classical or jazz, or other types of instrumentals taking importance in raw-ness of sound. I think it's just a matter of what music you'd like to focus on. Somebody may prefer the lifted bass of the XM3 due to their music preference in more mainstream pop and hip-hop. Fortunately, the headphone doesn't get upper-bass warmth of the Beats which creates too much mid warmth that reduces coherency.
That's why the old rock bands like the Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Gun N' Roses, Police and even Michael Jackson CD still ROCK, still AWESOME!!!

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #683 of 2,082
Zx2 has LDAC transmission included by Sony and not due to it being an Android OS. OREO is the first android version to have LDAC for phones.
Thanks for clarifying:)

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #684 of 2,082
FWIW: I use my XM3 with NW-ZX2, which is running Android 4.2 and apparently LDAC is working fine.....
I should have qualified my statement. Android manufacturers have always been able to add any Bluetooth codec they want to their own devices. Sony has been putting LDAC on their Android devices for years (Xperia phones, and players such as NW-ZX2).

Other Android manufacturers could have supported LDAC, but they didn't because they didn't want to pay the licensing fee to Sony. As a result, LDAC went nowhere for years with little interest in the industry. Finally, Sony kickstarted adoption by contributing the LDAC codec to be integrated into Android 8 Oreo, so that any device running Android 8 could use LDAC. This is the case with iBasso DX200, which gains LDAC support by updating to Android 8.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #687 of 2,082
Has anyone bought a replacement case for the XM3? It's a matter of preference but the cloth type case generally doesn't hold up that well to daily wear I find

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #688 of 2,082
Hi all,

I have a set of Sony MDR-1ADACs (LOVE THEM) but they are on their last legs (battery on its way out).

Is the DAC in the new wireless X1000XM3 comparable to the ADACS? Has anyone done a sound comparison?

Thanks

Richard

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #689 of 2,082
Yeah, even I would be interested to know the about xm3's sound quality compared to 1ADAC. I have 1ABT which I like

Also I came to know that noise cancelling reduces sound quality and also increases ear pressure. Not sure if I would be comfortable with that

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #690 of 2,082
Anyone had a direct comparison between the XM3 and the original 1000X? Curious about significant ANC difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back