SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #498 of 2,082
I don’t think so. It’s more emphasized than it should be, but that’s not always a bad thing when listening in a noisy environment, even when NC is on. And it’s not that hard to tame the extra bass, either by using the EQ in Sony’s app (which persists on the headphones themselves), or by using a better wired source (eg. a Dragonfly Red).

So yes, the ANC is exceptional. The sound out of the box is fun, and becomes pretty great with a little extra effort.

With respect, I disagree. The bass is exaggerated to an almost absurd degree. I'm only keeping them because I am prepared to EQ and the ANC is very good. I could not listen to these without EQ.

IMHO any purposeful "colouring" is a bad thing, as you are no longer listening to what the artist intended (unless the artist is assuming bass emphasized reproduction?!). Sadly with branding like "Beats by Dre", it seems that some headphones are even bragging about screwing with the sound.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #499 of 2,082
As I've said elsewhere in this thread, Sony's EQ does not work with LDAC, a major selling point of the headphones. So it is worth pointing that out.

Yes. I leave the headphones on my Custom 2 setting, and it stays on that setting when I switch from iPhone to iPad, and back again.

I’m just happy that the XM3 sound as great as they do once the ClearBass is dialed back a bit. But I agree, it would be nice to tweak things further.

Just to +1 what @SilverEars said, yes, the earcups on these headphones get quite warm.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #500 of 2,082
With respect, I disagree. The bass is exaggerated to an almost absurd degree. I'm only keeping them because I am prepared to EQ and the ANC is very good. I could not listen to these without EQ.

IMHO any purposeful "colouring" is a bad thing, as you are no longer listening to what the artist intended (unless the artist is assuming bass emphasized reproduction?!). Sadly with branding like "Beats by Dre", it seems that some headphones are even bragging about screwing with the sound.
There's lots of bass, but I find it's separated enough to not muddy up like Beats Studio. Also, try with the optimizer done, it does seem to improve the response, but still with lots of bass.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #502 of 2,082

I agree, without EQ the bass is way overcooked. I also couldn't listen to them without EQ unless the material was really balanced, not overly loud and with the bass almost deemphasized. I am torn about keeping these. Now that I have an EQ setting that works, I really love them, but damn I hate spending this much and needing to use an EQ. Principle mostly. Still, really do love the sound, ease of use and comfort. If the PX were this comfortable I would have been in heaven as I loved that sound signature. Still, the 1000xM3 is a very nice headphone once you dial the bass down. But yes, to say the bass in stock is anywhere near acceptable, is just not something I could personally say. Different strokes for different folks as they say. And I do like Sony, I owned and loved the Z1R, owned and liked the Z7 and also really enjoyed the MDR1A.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #503 of 2,082
I agree, without EQ the bass is way overcooked. I also couldn't listen to them without EQ unless the material was really balanced, not overly loud and with the bass almost deemphasized. I am torn about keeping these. Now that I have an EQ setting that works, I really love them, but damn I hate spending this much and needing to use an EQ. Principle mostly. Still, really do love the sound, ease of use and comfort. If the PX were this comfortable I would have been in heaven as I loved that sound signature. Still, the 1000xM3 is a very nice headphone once you dial the bass down. But yes, to say the bass in stock is anywhere near acceptable, is just not something I could personally say. Different strokes for different folks as they say. And I do like Sony, I owned and loved the Z1R, owned and liked the Z7 and also really enjoyed the MDR1A.
Everything would be great if the bass were to be toned down a bit as I like the upper frequencies. I find it to be quite resolving up top, but the bass surrounds the sounds a bit much with certain tracks. I've noticed that if the track has a bit of a bass push, it just amplifies it a bit than always putting lots of bass because it depends on the track as some tracks do not contain the lower energy all that much (hardly) or it's not the popular (including rock) music type bass (which you will find bass emphasis). For example, my Marantz Demo CD sound very detailed and great with mainly vocals and real instruments. It's not the thumping type of music is the reason why. These thumping type of sound comes from the added electronic bass effects. Typically that's what you expect from a bit of emphasis above neutral you see on the graphs, and this is for lower bass (as the upper bass will bleed to the mids).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #504 of 2,082
I've downloaded PowerAmp's last RC build (797) to give a try to the new interface (that Im loving BTW) and tried to play a little with the numerous new sound options.

Man ! I feel like this has made such a difference with the sound quality of my XM3 !
I've changed the output to OpenSL ES Hi-Res for Bluetooth and enabled "No DVC", "No Headroom gain" and "No equ/tone".
Changing the output also resulted in a higher volume, so did the "No Headroom gain" option, so now I'm listening to my XM3 barely past the middle of the volume when I was at about 90% previously.

And more importantly, I feel like the sound quality has improved a LOT ! With LDAC enable it's pure bliss !

Maybe someone can confirm on this ?

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #505 of 2,082
FYI there is an android app called Neutralizer that is a systemwide eq that you personalise to your hearing and headphones. It runs a series of tones that you adjust until you can just hear them and then you save the resulting frequency curve adjustment. It may suit the xm3 very well. It's free too.
This app seems to work well here for aptX/M2. The M2 sounds much more neutral with Neutralizer, although volume goes down a bit.
EQ seems to have become a dirty term, but if Sony can incorporate Neutralizer into its Headphones Connect app then its headphones might be even more quickly appreciated. Not only are headphone speakers not identical off the same production-line, but our ears aren't the same left-to-right or person-to-person.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #509 of 2,082
That's a smart way to figure out without trying it out. I guess we have different threshold in what is acceptable or not.

Here's the issue at hand. BT is probably not area you want to look for if such a level of latency is annoying for you. I watch movies on my TV due to movies looking it's best through it, and you will find that TV support for codecs isn't great. Mine has AptX, but not AptX LL. Another issue is, both sides has to have the codec, and with AptX LL, it would be rare to find one on either side that has this codec. So, a very good audio sync via BT will be near impossible to find given the options out there.

One possible solution is to buy a set of aptX LL receiver and transmitter and bypass the XM3 own BT connection. There are many such products and I personally have a good experience with those from Avantree.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #510 of 2,082
I have done a flight travel of around 8 hours and i have discovered that when i look up it seems the seal is broken and i could hear the plane engines, i have try it again in my place and the seal was also broken.

Is someone have experienced this as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back