SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 29, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #466 of 2,082
Just search around, higher res is available,:
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-CM6631-Coaxial-Optical-Convertor/dp/B017QP1WHG/
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Coaxial-Optical-Converter-Recording/dp/B075882K4X/

However I think obsessing over this (or LDAC vs aptX HD) is unproductive compared to things that make a real difference such as the choice of headphone. For a PC source and in a relatively quiet environment, you can choose from headphones that may have lesser (or no) ANC but better sound, such as the B&W PX or one of the high-end AT models.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/21/16140238/audio-technica-dsr9bt-wireless-headphones-review
Well, I've been noticing LDAC to sound best out of BT headphones I've tried so far.

Have you heard it? I don't find Vlad's reviews always reliable. He was being a bit hasty with his impression of iSines as the tonality is a bit off.

Sometimes I notice the M3 being a bit warm with mainstream music, but with well recorded with LDAC, it sound very good. Particularly with horns and cymbals.

Lately, my go to for good tonality and imaging has been Sennheiser openbacks, particularly the HD58X. It's hard to match it with a closed-back which lacks imaging.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #467 of 2,082
...For a PC source and in a relatively quiet environment, you can choose from headphones that may have lesser (or no) ANC but better sound, such as the B&W PX or one of the high-end AT models.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/21/16140238/audio-technica-dsr9bt-wireless-headphones-review

The PX does sound amazing, but the comfort is simply terrible. I had to return the PX despite loving the sound as I found them very uncomfortable after only a few minutes and at that price, comfort should be as with the xM3 very good.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #468 of 2,082
I am still a bit thorn whether I should swap my XM2 to the XM3. There are so many controversial opinions out there. I am aware none of these NC headphones will even come close to the sq of my home system, but I need something listenable when I am traveling 6-8 times a year. XM2 is bass heavy and a bit claustrophobic but still a listenable sound on the go. LDAC from phone provides an acceptable sq for flights. It is a compromise compared to my home system but an acceptable one.
Some say XM3 has better sq, some say it is the same. Some say XM3 has even more bass, some say it is the same. Some say XM2 is slightly closer to neutral. I do not really want to bother with EQ.
What is the most appealing in the XM3 to me vs XM2 is USB C and the bigger space for the ears. I prefer the metallic headband of the XM2. The most annoying thing to me with the XM2 is ventilation. If it is over 20C degrees, it can be very sweaty after a while. Is this improved in XM3 at all? Sometimes I was wondering if a built-in micro fan could improve this ventilation. :)

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #469 of 2,082
I am still a bit thorn whether I should swap my XM2 to the XM3. There are so many controversial opinions out there. I am aware none of these NC headphones will even come close to the sq of my home system, but I need something listenable when I am traveling 6-8 times a year. XM2 is bass heavy and a bit claustrophobic but still a listenable sound on the go. LDAC from phone provides an acceptable sq for flights. It is a compromise compared to my home system but an acceptable one.
Some say XM3 has better sq, some say it is the same. Some say XM3 has even more bass, some say it is the same. Some say XM2 is slightly closer to neutral. I do not really want to bother with EQ.
What is the most appealing in the XM3 to me vs XM2 is USB C and the bigger space for the ears. I prefer the metallic headband of the XM2. The most annoying thing to me with the XM2 is ventilation. If it is over 20C degrees, it can be very sweaty after a while. Is this improved in XM3 at all? Sometimes I was wondering if a built-in micro fan could improve this ventilation. :)
Unless slightly more comfort has the biggest weight, it's not worth upgrading. XM3 still is not better beathable than XM2.

NC performance is not better, tiny bit of isolation is better, and better charging, but not large enough changes for a necessary upgrade IMO. It's only slightly incremental adding various tiny changes in aspects. I think they got all the review sites hyping up the M3 so they can sell their next iteration and get people to buy another 1000X (which is not big enough change as must buy upgrade).

For all the intended purpose for my needs, I'd just stick with M2.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #470 of 2,082
Does this mean the EQ setting from the app will be save on the headphone so that EQ will remain active no matter what device you connect to?
Yes. I leave the headphones on my Custom 2 setting, and it stays on that setting when I switch from iPhone to iPad, and back again.
That Sony EQ is so watered down that it's almost useless. I wish they have EQ like Jaybird apps. I really don't see why Sony can't provide better EQ like Jaybird. Would be nice to be able to save this EQ to the headphone.
I’m just happy that the XM3 sound as great as they do once the ClearBass is dialed back a bit. But I agree, it would be nice to tweak things further.
If it is over 20C degrees, it can be very sweaty after a while. Is this improved in XM3 at all? Sometimes I was wondering if a built-in micro fan could improve this ventilation. :)
Just to +1 what @SilverEars said, yes, the earcups on these headphones get quite warm.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #471 of 2,082
Just search around, higher res is available,:
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-CM6631-Coaxial-Optical-Convertor/dp/B017QP1WHG/
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Coaxial-Optical-Converter-Recording/dp/B075882K4X/

However I think obsessing over this (or LDAC vs aptX HD) is unproductive compared to things that make a real difference such as the choice of headphone. For a PC source and in a relatively quiet environment, you can choose from headphones that may have lesser (or no) ANC but better sound, such as the B&W PX or one of the high-end AT models.
I have the 9BTs & they are quite more detailed than the M3s.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #472 of 2,082
I was wondering about this NC optimizer the 1000X series provides. Does anybody notice a difference if they run this after putting on the 1000X? I think if I optimize it after I put it on, I get a better sound response?

For the XM3, Sony site says this:

"Unique Atmospheric Pressure Optimizing delivers optimal sound at high altitude."

"Unique Personal Optimizing analyzes the sonic characteristics caused by head size, glasses, and hair, then optimizes sound to you."

After this, I can't help but wonder if this process EQ the response as well?

I looked up what this is doing, and somebody quoted this:

"I own a pair as well, and from my understanding it's got an internal microphone that can listen to how the sound it plays during optimization bounces back from your ears, hence working out distance and how the ear sits in the cups. This in turn allows the anc to better compensate. I think to get the best optimization do it everytime you put them on, and don't move them during the process."

"There are internal microphones in the cups that figure out how the sound coming from the headphones bounces around off your ears, to better optimize the noise cancelling to account for this."

And this:

"From the app, you can initiate Sony’s noise cancelling optimizer, which measures the unique shape and response of your ears and the atmospheric pressure to tailor the sound of the headphones just for you. You want to redo the optimizer if you change the way you wear the headphones or if the atmospheric pressure changes."

"In Sony's Headphone app, you can run a "noise cancelling optimizer," which measures the noise in your environment and the room's atmospheric pressure — it also registers how you wear your headphones — to adjust its noise cancellation based on your current environment. You might think that measuring a room's air pressure is superfluous, but remember, the headphones were made with plane travelers in mind."

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #474 of 2,082
Some say the XM3 is darker than the XM2 and some reviews say the treble is airier. So you might keep to try them to see. I suspect though that if you didn't like the XM2 treble the 3 won't be different enough to change your mind.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #476 of 2,082
Well, I've been noticing LDAC to sound best out of BT headphones I've tried so far.

Have you heard it? I don't find Vlad's reviews always reliable. He was being a bit hasty with his impression of iSines as the tonality is a bit off.
The main point I was making is that to optimize wireless listening in a home setup (presumably not noisy environment), don't forget the option of a different wireless headphone. If you don't need XM3/QC35 level of ANC at home, then headphone choices expand considerably and you can prioritize sound quality. A different headphone could make a far greater improvement than concerns like 16 bits or LDAC vs aptX HD.

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #478 of 2,082
Does anyone use these regularly to watch videos on YouTube/Netflix? I just wanted to know if there's any noticeable lag?
If you don't pay attention, you don't notice the lag, but if you really pay attention, you will notice the mouth and voices are out of sync. It's not what I really consider out of sync as I have tried some wireless headphones that were obviously out of sync. So, it's very minor to be really noticeable unless you really pay attention for it. So, it's acceptable for video watching.

Rtings measured the latency to be 224 ms. So, you will hear .2 second delay when watching video.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #479 of 2,082
Sent my M3 back for a replacement.

There’s a rattling noise from the right earcup whenever the headset is moved (when you’re walking or on the bus or when you quickly move your head), as if there’s a loose part in the earcup itself. The noise is not related to the headband or any of mechanical pieces for folding/unfolding the headset as the rattling noise can only be heard when the right earcup is over your ear).

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #480 of 2,082
The main point I was making is that to optimize wireless listening in a home setup (presumably not noisy environment), don't forget the option of a different wireless headphone. If you don't need XM3/QC35 level of ANC at home, then headphone choices expand considerably and you can prioritize sound quality. A different headphone could make a far greater improvement than concerns like 16 bits or LDAC vs aptX HD.
Please don't think I don't understand (or haven't considered) what you are suggesting.

I have my reasons for interest in the M3. And I have a dedicated home setup already. I prefer open-backs if I had a choice, and that's what I use at home. I'm not all that interested in wireless unless there is practical application for it (like for the gym or running). Otherwise, I'd like to keep it wired as it's the simplest and most reliable connection.

I've recently got interested in ANC for reducing vehicular noise during flights, commutes, and for use at work (and there's a lot of noise that needs reducing in other areas as well! Many of us are surrounded by noise.). I'm sure people who are in the market for ANC headphones are in it for one or more of those reasons. And I like to try something different/new at times, and ANC headphones hasn't been on my radar until recently. So, I can geek out on this tech for the time being. :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back