SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #511 of 2,082
I have done a flight travel of around 8 hours and i have discovered that when i look up it seems the seal is broken and i could hear the plane engines, i have try it again in my place and the seal was also broken.

Is someone have experienced this as well?
Yeah, I experience something of this sort when walking around with them. It's due to the headphone shifting, and it changes the sound significant for the duration during the shift.

Do you wear glasses? Is this after going through the optimizer?

I'm wondering if these are not an issue with QC 35?

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #512 of 2,082
One possible solution is to buy a set of aptX LL receiver and transmitter and bypass the XM3 own BT connection. There are many such products and I personally have a good experience with those from Avantree.
Yeah, I saw that somebody started a thread on transmitters that take in optical with AptX LL and HD. No LDAC though, I don't they exists.

I'm wondering if AptX HD also performs as LL? Because Rtings show XM3 faces latency issue with AptX as with SBC, so it's not LL.

Both the transmitter and receiver (XM3) must support the codec to be active.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #513 of 2,082
I have done a flight travel of around 8 hours and i have discovered that when i look up it seems the seal is broken and i could hear the plane engines, i have try it again in my place and the seal was also broken.
For me, the seal may break if I turn my head far enough to the side (but not from looking up). It will be different for everybody depending on how the earcups fit their head.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #514 of 2,082
So i’m not the only one...

I’m not wearing glasses by the way.
I don’t think i was experiencing this with my M2, since i have sold them maybe i will buy them on amazon again to compare them with my M3...

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #515 of 2,082
So i’m not the only one...

I’m not wearing glasses by the way.
I don’t think i was experiencing this with my M2, since i have sold them maybe i will buy them on amazon again to compare them with my M3...
Grab the cups and move it while playing, you will hear some weirdness. It's the same as cups shifting from lots of movement. I'm wondering if this is related to the optimizer, and the displacement of the ears inside the cups.

With all the circuitry, I really don't understand why they holded off on BT 5.0 and AptX LL? They saving it for XM4?

I'm wondering if BT 5.0 has to be supported on both ends? I thought about why BT 5.0 would be good, and it does have capability to output twice the bandwidth of the previous one. This means a codec can be implemented superior to LDAC 990 kbps as BT 5.0 is 2 mbps. If the BT 5.0 doesn't take advantage of the high bandwidth with a high bandwidth codecs, it's poinless of course. So, calling a device BT 5.0 is not that signficant without the knowledge of what codecs it run on. If LDAC, great!

I think the lower version BT is limited bandwidth for the LDAC 990 kbps, which cuts off at times.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #516 of 2,082
Grab the cups and move it while playing, you will hear some weirdness. It's the same as cups shifting from lots of movement. I'm wondering if this is related to the optimizer, and the displacement of the ears inside the cups.

I gave the M2’s a trial run and experienced this, so I don’t think it’s a regression in behavior. Even walking with them outside would cause slight variations when my feet hit the ground with each step. While listening to podcasts, whoever was talking would get ever so slightly louder and softer with each step. It was the weirdest thing, and not something I’ve experienced on any other ANC headphone. SilverEars theory regarding the optimizer changing the audio due to subtle (or not so subtle) variations in ear placement makes sense to me.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #517 of 2,082
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #519 of 2,082
Completely subjective, possibly bordering on useless, first impression after 60 minutes with my new XM3s...Dayummmmmm...Based on the preliminary reviews I was expecting an upgrade from the QC25s that I picked up on Prime Day, but for someone that enjoys bass the XM3s really brought the music to life.

I listen primarily to hard rock/heavy metal, but really anything from Metallica/Disturbed to Lionel Richie/Neil Diamond and lots in between. I listened to a tune or 2 from each of those artists and a few others and I can't count the number of times I said "wow, that's impressive" with a big perma-grin. That was with ANC all the way up and EQ off.

When I tried the QC25s for the first time, I was very impressed with the ANC and comfort. They were my first experience with ANC headphones, other than trying them in the store. I listened to a few songs, but did not get any emotional attachment like with the XM3s. The first thing I did was try to find an EQ app that I could use on my iPhone for not only locally stored music, but apps like Pandora, Spotify, etc. with no luck. I've pretty much only been using them to eliminate background noise with no audio source since I got them.

In contrast, on the XM3s you have full control to tailor things to your own needs via the Sony app and the various NC, EQ and other settings. For me personally, the XM3 experience out of the box is nothing short of amazing compared to the QC25s.

I jumped on here to leave a quick impression and to pull down some more songs I haven't heard in years, to see how they will sound on the new headphones. So far comfort is excellent, ANC seems slightly better and the sound quality is no comparison.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. I appreciate all the help you guys provided previous to my purchase decision and wanted to say thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #521 of 2,082
I randomly found a single pair of these for sale at the Best Buy in East New York. Pretty happy with them so far. A little terrified of breaking them. They feel so light and plasticy.

Do yall recommend really messing with the ANC optimizer on the app? Should i expect any significant improvement over the default? I mostly would be using them to cut out plane/subway/white noise type stuff. Or is the app more for like bringing back voice should you want it?

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #522 of 2,082
With all the circuitry, I really don't understand why they holded off on BT 5.0 and AptX LL? They saving it for XM4?

I'm wondering if BT 5.0 has to be supported on both ends? I thought about why BT 5.0 would be good, and it does have capability to output twice the bandwidth of the previous one. This means a codec can be implemented superior to LDAC 990 kbps as BT 5.0 is 2 mbps. If the BT 5.0 doesn't take advantage of the high bandwidth with a high bandwidth codecs, it's poinless of course. So, calling a device BT 5.0 is not that signficant without the knowledge of what codecs it run on.
Audio works the same on BT 4.2 and BT 5.0. An improvement for audio will have to wait until BT 5.1 or beyond.

BT 5.0 made enhancements to Bluetooth Low Energy. However, Bluetooth audio (A2DP) runs in Bluetooth Classic mode, not Low Energy mode. There is not yet an audio standard for Bluetooth Low Energy. It will come eventually, but the industry standards process is very slow (could take years).

Meanwhile, manufacturers are happy to advertise that their product supports Bluetooth 5. Technically it is true if they are using a chipset (e.g. from Qualcomm) that supports BT 5, but audio still runs the same way as BT 4.2 with no change.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #523 of 2,082
I have a pair that I use with a Galaxy s8 plus cellphone.

When I use them in phone calls then the people that I am talking to all say that when they speak then they hear an echo of their own voice. Have you noticed this?

I have seen some reviews on Amazon where people had the same problem. I am curious if it occurs with everyone's xm3s.
Thanks

Completely subjective, possibly bordering on useless, first impression after 60 minutes with my new XM3s...Dayummmmmm...Based on the preliminary reviews I was expecting an upgrade from the QC25s that I picked up on Prime Day, but for someone that enjoys bass the XM3s really brought the music to life.

I listen primarily to hard rock/heavy metal, but really anything from Metallica/Disturbed to Lionel Richie/Neil Diamond and lots in between. I listened to a tune or 2 from each of those artists and a few others and I can't count the number of times I said "wow, that's impressive" with a big perma-grin. That was with ANC all the way up and EQ off.

When I tried the QC25s for the first time, I was very impressed with the ANC and comfort. They were my first experience with ANC headphones, other than trying them in the store. I listened to a few songs, but did not get any emotional attachment like with the XM3s. The first thing I did was try to find an EQ app that I could use on my iPhone for not only locally stored music, but apps like Pandora, Spotify, etc. with no luck. I've pretty much only been using them to eliminate background noise with no audio source since I got them.

In contrast, on the XM3s you have full control to tailor things to your own needs via the Sony app and the various NC, EQ and other settings. For me personally, the XM3 experience out of the box is nothing short of amazing compared to the QC25s.

I jumped on here to leave a quick impression and to pull down some more songs I haven't heard in years, to see how they will sound on the new headphones. So far comfort is excellent, ANC seems slightly better and the sound quality is no comparison.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. I appreciate all the help you guys provided previous to my purchase decision and wanted to say thanks!

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #524 of 2,082
I have a pair that I use with a Galaxy s8 plus cellphone.

When I use them in phone calls then the people that I am talking to all say that when they speak then they hear an echo of their own voice. Have you noticed this?

I have seen some reviews on Amazon where people had the same problem. I am curious if it occurs with everyone's xm3s.
Thanks

I hadn’t tried a phone call and likely would hardly ever use them for calls, but since you asked, I just called my wife and we both have older iPhone 6 Pluses and the call sounded clear on both ends. No echo. We have Verizon with voice over LTE enabled and with the headphones it sounded crazy clear for me. I will call a relative on ATT and see if it sounds any different.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #525 of 2,082
The jabra 65t active which I just recently purchased and will be returning have a measured latency on Rtings of 227ms. It's noticeable and enough to annoy me.

Guess I'll scrap the idea of getting the xm3 then
Wired is an option as it has an aux port, and ANC can be enabled while whatching.

Edit: It seems aux has lag as well not better than LDAC. Perhaps the processing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back