SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #527 of 2,082
Tried these finally today. The comfort had kicked up quite a bit over its predecessor and the NC was off the charts! Soundstaging was really good too. Now knowing that an MK4 is about 10 months out, I think I might pass on these and stick with my beloved Z1R for home and Mobius / NAD HP70 / Bose QC35II for on the go.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #528 of 2,082
What's an MK4?

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #530 of 2,082
Lol, I figured Mark 4 but of what? I know I should know but I don't remember :)

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #532 of 2,082
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #534 of 2,082
I am glad that i returned my M3 - qc35 will be fine for another 12 months.
Will Qc45 or m4 be the winner next year?

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #535 of 2,082
I get it now :). I got the XM3 and am enjoying the heck out of it so the 4 will have to really be special to get me to even think about it.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #537 of 2,082
Tried these finally today. The comfort had kicked up quite a bit over its predecessor and the NC was off the charts! Soundstaging was really good too. Now knowing that an MK4 is about 10 months out, I think I might pass on these and stick with my beloved Z1R for home and Mobius / NAD HP70 / Bose QC35II for on the go.
What didn't you like about the xm3? How do you rate the Möbius?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #538 of 2,082
I have a pair that I use with a Galaxy s8 plus cellphone.

When I use them in phone calls then the people that I am talking to all say that when they speak then they hear an echo of their own voice. Have you noticed this?

I have seen some reviews on Amazon where people had the same problem. I am curious if it occurs with everyone's xm3s.
Thanks

I called a relative this morning and spoke for 5 mins and it was also super clear. Both iPhones, me on Verizon and them on TMobile. No echo or issues at all.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #539 of 2,082
I finally tried the XM3 on the airplane. Airplane noise is LOUD. Up to 80 dB loud. How can you enjoy music or hear videos to the best with such noise level? ANC makes a huge difference.

You don't notice it as much once your ears adjust to the ambient noise, but when you take off or turn off ANC, you will notice a huge difference!

As a comparison, I have my speakers up to about 57 dB at home. The noise in the airplane is much louder than the sound level out of my home speakers!

How is it reasonable to be so critical of amp/dac noise level and not for such a loud ambient noise level?!

One way to compare ANC performance to iem noise isolation is wear both at the same time with ANC on. I realized a typical iem don't really reduce well as ANC in a such a loud environment.

I wish I had the ER4 to compare.

What I liked about these is that PA sound is passed through while the engine noise is reduced.

I rrally don't notice the lag in movies with LDAC.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #540 of 2,082
What didn't you like about the xm3? How do you rate the Möbius?

The NC was off the charts and the comfort had improved (though the comfort was not quite the QC35II level). Sound quality wise, it's still a bit thick sounding and not as open as the Mobius or HP70. The Mobius are simply amazing headphones and bring that wonderful Audeze sound to a Bluetooth headset and the head-tracking is out of this world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back