Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #166 of 583
this will be a long wait in this forum though :)

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #167 of 583
Is this testing with music off or while playing?

With music playing at 65+ dB I can't hear anything, but with music off and ANC on I can clearly hear voices, fans, motors, street noise etc.

The problem I and apparently others are having is that the headphones randomly and variably decide to reduce ANC to a low mode despite significant outside ambient noise. If the ANC is engaged at full, noise canceling seems comparable and possibly measures as superior to the prior 1000XM models, but when it ramps down the ANC is quite weak.

I think the variability in experiences being reported may reflect variability in triggering thresholds necessary to activate the full ANC mode.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #168 of 583
I just use my headphones at full NC or switch to ambient mode when needed. Nothing more. They do their job 🤷‍♂️

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #169 of 583
Is this testing with music off or while playing?

With music playing at 65+ dB I can't hear anything, but with music off and ANC on I can clearly hear voices, fans, motors, street noise etc.

The problem I and apparently others are having is that the headphones randomly and variably decide to reduce ANC to a low mode despite significant outside ambient noise. If the ANC is engaged at full, noise canceling seems comparable and possibly measures as superior to the prior 1000XM models, but when it ramps down the ANC is quite weak.

I think the variability in experiences being reported may reflect variability in triggering thresholds necessary to activate the full ANC mode.
Sorry, but I have problems with this way of thinking and explaining :)

There are 3 modes:
OFF
ANC
AMBIENT

ANC mode does not have any settings to set.
In xm4 there was an option to optimize with a button on the headphone.
In xm5 it is done all the time.

AMBIENT mode has a slider with the strength of ambient noise that we want to hear and it has an option to focus on the "voice".

I know those are semantics, but one says that they set ANC on this or on that, and it doesn't work and the headphones are worthless.
And it leads to meaningless discussions.

So, when you hear something that you shouldn't, maybe you are in ambient mode not anc.

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #170 of 583
The reason for some pleople us - you do not get any voice feedpack if ANC is on or off
just a stupid tone which means on OR off

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #173 of 583
Last week I visited my local Sony store and gave a try to XM5.
The ANC is quite good (this was the first time I tried ANC headphone, do don't have other devices for comparison), and the sound quality is so-so when I played a song using Apple Music with my iBasso DX200.
I couldn't play long as my gf was beside and she was showing impatience in her face...

Yesterday I visited another Sony store before making the final decision whether I should order one.
This time I used the phone in the shop (should be a Xperia 5 III) and play music with KKBox (a streaming service operating in Southeast Asia), this time the connection is very bad (perhaps because there are disruption from phones of people around me, the shop was quite crowded at that time). And the sound quality was quite bad (partly due to connection issue I believe. KKBox used to have better SQ than Apple Music on WM1ZM2/WM1AM2 so I don't think it's software's problem)

Now hesitate if I should give it another try...
My use case is to hear music with the air dehumidifier turned on while I am working in the same room.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #174 of 583
The ANC is quite good (this was the first time I tried ANC headphone, do don't have other devices for comparison), and the sound quality is so-so when I played a song using Apple Music with my iBasso DX200.
I couldn't play long as my gf was beside and she was showing impatience in her face...

Yesterday I visited another Sony store before making the final decision whether I should order one.
This time I used the phone in the shop (should be a Xperia 5 III) and play music with KKBox (a streaming service operating in Southeast Asia), this time the connection is very bad (perhaps because there are disruption from phones of people around me, the shop was quite crowded at that time). And the sound quality was quite bad (partly due to connection issue I believe. KKBox used to have better SQ than Apple Music on WM1ZM2/WM1AM2 so I don't think it's software's problem)

My use case is to hear music when I turn on the air dehumidifier while I am working in the same room.
Try them with different sources. I’ve used them with my Windows PC, 3 kinds of Walkman Players, and my iPhone 11 Pro and there are no issues regarding connection problems. Plus, your girlfriend not having patience didn’t help one bit.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #175 of 583

My use case is to hear music with the air dehumidifier turned on while I am working in the same room.
Hello

I tried that once, my first ANC headphones, listened to them in the store, after few days it turned out I really don't like them :)
I can honestly tell you that you rather gonna be happy or even very happy with xm5.
They have really good detailed, spacious stereo image scene with really good central image which I felt was lacking in xm4.
This is true (for me) with the "Bright" profile; default settings sound muffled to me.
When it comes to ANC it is really good and fast, I doubt that dehumidifier gonna be a problem for them :)
I work construction, have them all the time on my head and I can barely hear loud electric engines, and need to have my radio set to max volume to hear what people say over ANC, and it is a really loud radio.
I can turn ambient, but I prefer it that way.
When comes to speaking on the phone, it is just great, a friend that I speak a lot, complained all the time when I had xm4 and on xm5 when I asked him how it is now; he just said: "I don't think about it, I just hear you".

It is your decision, if you ask for advice, I would say go for it.

Cheers

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #176 of 583
you must talk about the ambient mode.

if you do just the anc - it is always 100%

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #178 of 583
Does anyone know if when run wired if there no way access ANC or EQ for headphones through app on phone? Seems default state of the headphones is off when wire them, so no access to ANC nor EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #180 of 583
ok your right, get to ANC works though can't adjust it but no EQ..

which isn't killer but like the option. so headphone is 'on' but can't see app on phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back