Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jun 7, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #182 of 584
How to reduce contact pressure on Sony WH-1000XM5?
I was unable to get used to the top of the head hotspot/pain or the ear cartilage pain from my ears sinking further into the cups.

I'm going to return mine.

The reduced ANC strength/variability combined with less portability / non-folding and smaller drivers was overall a deal breaker.

I'm going to look into AirPods Max or maybe XM4 if my XM3 fails.

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #183 of 584
Hello M5 owners, thoughts on the colours of the new model - I've been debating on which one to get. Been reading about the black colour being a fingerprint magnet and smudges easy which are quite visible compare to previous generations of the 1000X series. Any truth to this versus the silver colour since there's a texture difference to the build? Thnx!

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #184 of 584
What I can say is that even if I take care of my black XM5, it is true that it looks heavy used immediately, although it never left my office at work. My XM4 after a year looked never when putting next to each other.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #185 of 584
Hello M5 owners, thoughts on the colours of the new model - I've been debating on which one to get. Been reading about the black colour being a fingerprint magnet and smudges easy which are quite visible compare to previous generations of the 1000X series. Any truth to this versus the silver colour since there's a texture difference to the build? Thnx!
Hello
It's one of those matt soft to touch plastic.
It feels to me like velvet.
It stains the same as xm4.
I have black, they look elegant.
I also like the creamy colour, you won't see as much grease on them probably - but it still gonna be there :)

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #186 of 584
I wish I had the silver to compare. The black is really horrible at picking up greasy looking stains just from the natural oils of your fingers. I'm being fairly precious about touching them and they just look kind of awful after a few days of taking them on and off and using the touch gestures; it's especially noticeable if you're in a well-lit environment. It's significantly more of a magnet for finger oils than my (blue) XM4's.

Someone did suggest using display cleaner spray and a microfiber cloth to clean them - which helps, but I'm skeptical that the soft matte finish will last very long if I do that all the time.

So yeah, I do find the finish a bit disappointing.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #187 of 584
I wish I had the silver to compare. The black is really horrible at picking up greasy looking stains just from the natural oils of your fingers. I'm being fairly precious about touching them and they just look kind of awful after a few days of taking them on and off and using the touch gestures; it's especially noticeable if you're in a well-lit environment. It's significantly more of a magnet for finger oils than my (blue) XM4's.

Someone did suggest using display cleaner spray and a microfiber cloth to clean them - which helps, but I'm skeptical that the soft matte finish will last very long if I do that all the time.

So yeah, I do find the finish a bit disappointing.
Baby wipes, I cleaned every single day xm4 and I do the same with xm5.
Outside and the material inside.
Clean and pristine.
It takes 5 minutes.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #191 of 584
It depends. If you enjoy having clean gear, why not. I have a weekly todo reminder to clean my gear and displays. It takes 10 minutes max. And I am happy when everything looks like new.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #192 of 584
Sony have to take full responsibility for their own own-goals.

Perhaps it is the use of recycled plastics that made them look so grubby?

Perhaps their obsession about battery life has lead to the much poorer ANC?

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting my money back for my returned XM5 and spending it on more gear that I don't need! :darthsmile:

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #193 of 584
Sony have to take full responsibility for their own own-goals.

Perhaps it is the use of recycled plastics that made them look so grubby?

Perhaps their obsession about battery life has lead to the much poorer ANC?

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting my money back for my returned XM5 and spending it on more gear that I don't need! :darthsmile:
To summarize "everything is bad"
:)

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #194 of 584
I had and have almost all WH and WF and in terms of ANC, I only see improvements with the XM5 now. I am so confused what I read here from some users.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back