Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
May 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #512 of 634
ya i have issues, its called taste

looks better then your plain jane sony's

6296111-rd.jpg
finally glad for once I hit see ignored content lmao someone screenshot this and just post this pic whenever this guys steps out of line speaking of gold this is golden man lololol now we are at these headphones look ugly phase this is just too good you might be the first person I unignore I have to know how you can possibly attempt to even escalate it from this peak of pure unadulterated chaos lmaoooo

May 4, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #515 of 634
mdr 1am2 have too much bass i heard. and they are higher cost

I have the 1am2 - I don't think they have too much bass. It's just perfectly tuned IMO for what I like. They're a lot less than the M3 and M4. All of which tuned to have that Sony house sound which is fun and for the most part, majority of consumers who own them like that. And for those that don't, they simply move on to the next audio brand that suits their preference and tastes.

Bloated bass is Beats. What you want and like -- sounds like the 1000X series doesn't offer. Carry on.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #516 of 634
I have the 1am2 - I don't think they have too much bass. It's just perfectly tuned IMO for what I like. They're a lot less than the M3 and M4. All of which tuned to have that Sony house sound which is fun and for the most part, majority of consumers who own them like that. And for those that don't, they simply move on to the next audio brand that suits their preference and tastes.

Bloated bass is Beats. What you want and like -- sounds like the 1000X series doesn't offer. Carry on.

the more neutral and flat and unprocessed the sound the better

and all software effects turned off.

its the only way to listen to over 1500 hours of music a year like me

bass boost is crap

virtual surround is crap

equalizer crap

flat, neutral, natural. the less thats done to the sound the better. the more boring the sound signature the better

if you dont have that then you will feel spaced out after a few hours.

i can listen to music 15 hours a day

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #517 of 634
the more neutral and flat and unprocessed the sound the better

and all software effects turned off.

its the only way to listen to over 1500 hours of music a year like me

bass boost is crap

virtual surround is crap

equalizer crap

flat, neutral, natural. the less thats done to the sound the better. the more boring the sound signature the better

if you dont have that then you will feel spaced out after a few hours.

i can listen to music 15 hours a day
6ACB70BB-3C00-478A-B9F5-150066080AB1.gif

May 11, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #518 of 634
Guyz, I luv how light this headphone is in comparison to APM and mostly the price (much much cheaper). The ANC works so well, and I use it a lot for it's noise cancelling practicality.

I want to take care of the leather/or pleather. How to I keep it from degrading too much? Does the skin oils degrade it? Also, if the battery degrades over time. Is there a simple way to replace the battery? I really don't like that it doesn't function simultaneously while charging.

God, I really dispise the APM and it's many inconveniences. Most important for this class of headphones for me is ANC and convenience. I like to travel with it as well.

May 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #519 of 634
This proves Yoasobi is super viral in Japan. I really didn't expect this from Sony. Perhaps those singer videos are sponsored by Sony. You do notice the Sony monitor.

Only thing I ask of Sony for the XM5 is just tame the bass and just give the option to increase the bass for those that luv lots of bass. Anyway I luv everything else about this headphone and the other only thing I can ask for is some sort of android/windows multi-point access. Would be very cool. I'm not in the Apple ecosystem obviously.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #520 of 634
Hey so not to interrupt the the trolling and arguing, but has anyone loaded the new firmware? Any glitches? Notice any improvements?

May 17, 2021​

Firmware Update to Version 2.5.0​

Improves Bluetooth connection stability

Applicable Model​

This information is for the following models:
  • WH-1000XM4

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Improves Bluetooth connection stability
  • Improves the hands-free calling quality

Previous Benefits and Improvements​

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Fixes an issue where the headphones cannot be paired on a Windows computer
  • Fixes an issue where, when there are 2 Bluetooth devices connected at the same time, the connected devices repeatedly disconnect and reconnect
  • Improves general performance of the headphones

May 19, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #521 of 634
Hey so not to interrupt the the trolling and arguing, but has anyone loaded the new firmware? Any glitches? Notice any improvements?

May 17, 2021​

Firmware Update to Version 2.5.0​

Improves Bluetooth connection stability

Applicable Model​

This information is for the following models:
  • WH-1000XM4

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Improves Bluetooth connection stability
  • Improves the hands-free calling quality

Previous Benefits and Improvements​

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Fixes an issue where the headphones cannot be paired on a Windows computer
  • Fixes an issue where, when there are 2 Bluetooth devices connected at the same time, the connected devices repeatedly disconnect and reconnect
  • Improves general performance of the headphones
no glitches nor any improvements to me. multipoint has always been stable for me.

May 19, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #523 of 634
I wan't this headphones for ANC but also for djing. I have some questions, the EQ is also available in wired mode, without bluethooth??

And another, the ANC is also available when wired and without bt??

Thanks!
EQ only available in Bluetooth through the Sony Headphones app.

ANC available with or without Bluetooth (but you'll need to power on the headphone of course).

May 30, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #524 of 634
The XM3 and XM4 aren't that far off in sound sig so I'm sharing here. Got a cheap used pair of XM3 and here is a mod I made.

I've grown tired of the boomy sound after a year of using it and removed all the foam and even wore the MDR's without fabric on the earpad to get more of the highs. XM3 was a lot harsher sounding without anything in between the driver and ears for whatever reason.

I used Elmer's glue on one layer of cut up cotton pads. I dried off the glue quickly with a hair dryer. Pay attention to the areas without cotton pads because that plays a huge role in the sound. I play a bit with the amount of material and this configuration is the best I've heard of. I use this glue because you can remove it with water easily if you wanted to.

The earpad is now just a thin piece of material made from stockings. It's their remove any harshness. I again used glue to stick it on the earpad frame. I didn't put any tension on the fabric and gave it a lot of flex so that my ears can sink in without feeling any resistance from the fabric.

No more bloated over done bass. Bass is better in detail, punch and overall quality. It has more highs, better clarity and better details. It's neutral sounding instead of dark. The music is lively, enveloping and just sounds huge.

I can't stop listening to these things.

PS:
With this mod, I can reverse the whole thing and go back to stock configuration if I wanted to. There's probably some loss of noise cancelling but I don't notice it at all. I wore these things in loud environments (data centers, lawn mower/grass clipper). The trade off is worth it for me.

I tried stuffing the plastic cups with cotton and it was boomy and worse. Covering more of the inside with cotton made it warmer and definitely tames the harshness. Bass amount also goes up. For now, I'm happy with the sound. I may do more tweaks with different material in the future.

Coming from the 1st gen to the 3rd gen, these things are more durable and I've used this while walking, yardwork and other slightly sweaty activities.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #525 of 634
I hated these headphones and wish I did my homework before buying. The only thing going for them was the wearing comfort and relatively light weight. Sound-wise I am used to warmer sounding Sennheiser PX100 (original and II), and Beyerdynamic DT-250s. Sonically I did not rate WH-1000MX4 very well. The high end was a little artificial, not harshly overhyped like MDR-7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50X but still had a sheen I didn't like; mids were too recessed.

Onto the software in the headphones. It's not very intuitive like a lot of their stuff. A long press to turn them on, then it auto-calibrates by blasting some quick burst of organ sounds and other noises in succession. You can't change the volume of the voice announcements. I tried disabling the voice via the phone app because for me it's on the edge of being too loud, but it doesn't disable ALL voice. The EQ on the phone app is Android based and not EQ for the headphones themselves. If they had internal EQ (I don't see why it couldn't have onboard software EQ) which might have saved them from being returned.

If you use the audio jack in the headphones and pull it out you have to turn the headphones back on again. It was optimised for Bluetooth users to give seamless transition there. The capacitive touch panel is not very well thought out, you have to have some tactile reference point like the dot they put on the outer left ear cup. Using a whole hand to go to 'listen' mode was handy.

Noise-cancelling was good. But with the rest of it being so bad they had to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back