Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
May 2, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #496 of 634
black wired over ear sony h.ear on 1 - high res neutral sound signature

black wired over ear audio technica sr50 - havnt opened them yet and will sell them if they have too much bass

black wired over ear akg k361 - thinking of buying these very soon

--------

used to own:

black wired over ear vmoda m100 - sold because too much bass, thinking of trying new m200 which is supposed to be neutral

black wired over ear audio-technica m40 - sold because too bulky, didnt like coiled wire, pads too small

black wired over ear sennheiser xtra bass - cant remember which model, but returned them because they had too much bass, were not low profile enough, and creaked a bit

black wired over ear bose - pads wore out and so i warrantied them and they gave me gift card, then they discontinued the model so i couldnt replace them
I’ve tested the H.ear on 1 in Japan at E-Earphone the MDR-1AM2 easily beat them out as do the XM4. The XM4 actually sound just as efficient wired vs the XM3. I’ve enjoyed listening to the IER-M9 which produces neutral sound. The K361 sound really good for the money. Ok, I see where you’re at and now I can completely disagree with all your opinions since I’ve enjoyed neutral sound. I’m glad my ears can appreciate different sound signatures, bass or not.

May 2, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #497 of 634
I’ve tested the H.ear on 1 in Japan at E-Earphone the MDR-1AM2 easily beat them out as do the XM4. The XM4 actually sound just as efficient wired vs the XM3. I’ve enjoyed listening to the IER-M9 which produces neutral sound. The K361 sound really good for the money. Ok, I see where you’re at and now I can completely disagree with all your opinions since I’ve enjoyed neutral sound. I’m glad my ears can appreciate different sound signatures, bass or not.

mdr 1am2 have too much bass i heard. and they are higher cost

if u want to mess up your music with extra bass then use the eq, you dont hardwire it into the headphones. that just stupid. the only reason sony does that is beacuse all the idiots who buy it

and i have h.ear on 1 not 2 or 3 which are BT

h.ear on 1 i can listen to for 15 hours straight with no issues

doubt that can be done with extra bass or other artificial crap like that

another problem with BT anc headhpones is they mess with the sound more.

h.ear on 1 has no processors in it. its direct wire to speaker which produces a more natural sound you can listen to longer.

and its high res and only 24ohms so works very well with my ap80 pro

h.ear on 1 sound better to me then the bose, m40, sennheiser, or vmoda i owned before

and i would bet they sound alot better then xm4. bt and anc reduce sound quality, not to mention the bass boosted crap on the xm4

ive tried those bt anc headphones in the stores. very artificial sounding. can you listen to that for 15 hours? doubt it

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #498 of 634
I don’t label anyone an idiot for a purchase they make. That’s not right and it’s very judgmental. I really hope your life isn’t miserable as your writing makes you come off to be. I’ll just and enjoy my music, with neutral and other varieties of headphones I’m lucky to work hard for my gear. Up next, XM4 with my A55

May 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #499 of 634
- batteries are heavier then a wire
- batteries eventually die
- batteries need charging a wire doesnt
- batteries cost more then a wire
- batteries increase size more then a wire

Batteries make it possible to enjoy music in places away from a comfortable chair in a quiet room - for those who work outside the home, have kids, travel occasionally, go outdoors when the weather is nice… that’s most of our lives. Rapid-charging the XM4 once a week or so is worth the tradeoff for me. And you’ve clearly never picked up these headphones if you think they’re heavy.

- bt has pairing issues wire works automatically
- bt can get interference

I move my xm4 back and forth between an Apple setup with multipoint (Mac and iPhone) and a Sony Android-based DAP using LDAC at the highest quality setting frequently. It takes a couple of seconds to switch and works every time with a single tap on each device.

Can get interference - rarely does. On flights with the XM4s I’ve twice had to use the app setting to prioritize a stable connection (lowers the LDAC bit rate) because of skips, which worked perfectly. Have not encountered this to date otherwise.

- bt and anc adds extra cost
- bt and anc adds extra stuff to break down

I paid $278 for the XM4 and in the end it will work out to pennies per hour I’ve used them. On that basis, far cheaper than the wired stuff I use (which I generally love.)

In 6 months, no problems to date with these. I’ve had many different BT and/or ANC sets over the years - got my first ANC earbuds in 2003(!) and came to Bluetooth in 2016. I usually get a new set a year and give away the old ones. The only problem I’ve had to date was with Apple AirPods Pro (the well documented rattling issue) which Apple replaced immediately at no cost to me.

Those 2003 Sonys still work! The ANC will kick in with a fresh AAA battery installed. Not quite as good as a current Sony or Bose set though.

In that time I’ve had multiple headphone/earbud wires wear and go bad out of warranty, which ends with me tossing or stashing the set and buying a new pair.

- bt and anc produces worse sound then a wire
- more possible breakdowns and warranty issues and repairs will take longer
- cant hear outside sound as good with anc on. which is bad but also good. so 50/50 trade

BT and ANC improve the listening experience in most real-life situations. Whatever degradation in sound the compression produces is less than what most humans can perceive in perfect listening conditions, and the whole point of these headphones is for the 99% of life without those perfect conditions.

And the transparency mode on these XM4s works. The touch control to activate it was not super reliable so I mapped the function button to it. So outside sound is there when I need it, and not when I don’t.

basically for the benefit of removing the wire and getting some anc you trade off 10 other good things

wired headphones cost half as much, have less hassles, look better, feel better, sound better, and last longer

Counterpoint: the benefit of removing the wire and using ANC is often enormous, and the tradeoffs are nit picks at best in 2021.

May 2, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #500 of 634
Batteries make it possible to enjoy music in places away from a comfortable chair in a quiet room - for those who work outside the home, have kids, travel occasionally, go outdoors when the weather is nice… that’s most of our lives. Rapid-charging the XM4 once a week or so is worth the tradeoff for me. And you’ve clearly never picked up these headphones if you think they’re heavy.

I move my xm4 back and forth between an Apple setup with multipoint (Mac and iPhone) and a Sony Android-based DAP using LDAC at the highest quality setting frequently. It takes a couple of seconds to switch and works every time with a single tap on each device.

Can get interference - rarely does. On flights with the XM4s I’ve twice had to use the app setting to prioritize a stable connection (lowers the LDAC bit rate) because of skips, which worked perfectly. Have not encountered this to date otherwise.

I paid $278 for the XM4 and in the end it will work out to pennies per hour I’ve used them. On that basis, far cheaper than the wired stuff I use (which I generally love.)

In 6 months, no problems to date with these. I’ve had many different BT and/or ANC sets over the years - got my first ANC earbuds in 2003(!) and came to Bluetooth in 2016. I usually get a new set a year and give away the old ones. The only problem I’ve had to date was with Apple AirPods Pro (the well documented rattling issue) which Apple replaced immediately at no cost to me.

Those 2003 Sonys still work! The ANC will kick in with a fresh AAA battery installed. Not quite as good as a current Sony or Bose set though.

In that time I’ve had multiple headphone/earbud wires wear and go bad out of warranty, which ends with me tossing or stashing the set and buying a new pair.

BT and ANC improve the listening experience in most real-life situations. Whatever degradation in sound the compression produces is less than what most humans can perceive in perfect listening conditions, and the whole point of these headphones is for the 99% of life without those perfect conditions.

And the transparency mode on these XM4s works. The touch control to activate it was not super reliable so I mapped the function button to it. So outside sound is there when I need it, and not when I don’t.

Counterpoint: the benefit of removing the wire and using ANC is often enormous, and the tradeoffs are nit picks at best in 2021.
Wired can also break from wearing out. Owning cans with detachable cables solves that. So another minus with wired even tho I use both

May 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #502 of 634
Geez, there is some pointless arguing going on in this thread. Cut it out, please.

I personally prefer wired headphones because they just always work and don't require charging. But I also see the benefit of wireless headphones, and in particular, active headphones with DSP as in theory they can produce the best sound available in headphones. It's just that Sony went for a target curve that emphasizes bass. Oh well. It's on balance still the best ANC headphone out there, and that's why I bought it. It's now the 6th headphone/IEM in my collection, and they all sound a bit different.

And if you truly want the best sound quality, nothing beats a good hifi setup: good dac + amp + speakers in a well setup room. Headphones don't have soundstage. Speakers do :) but yeah, the main downside is that such a setup isn't portable. But it's by far my preferred way to enjoy music. Headphones are always a compromise for me. When people say some headphones have a narrow soundstage, others a wide soundstage, I just shrug. They all sound like they don't have any soundstage to me :)

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #504 of 634
bose look better, and are not bass boosted, and have better mic
Yeah, but Bose doesn't support any high bitrate Bluetooth codecs like LDAC. It only supports SBC/AAC, and since I'm on Android I don't really get the full benefit of AAC (that works best on Apple products).

And also, Bose forces you to sign up and create an account with all kinds of tracking. I'm more and more getting fed up having to create an account for every single thing out there.

With Sony, you just download the app and it works. No account or sign up required.

May 2, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #505 of 634
Yeah, but Bose doesn't support any high bitrate Bluetooth codecs like LDAC. It only supports SBC/AAC, and since I'm on Android I don't really get the full benefit of AAC (that works best on Apple products).

And also, Bose forces you to sign up and create an account with all kinds of tracking. I'm more and more getting fed up having to create an account for every single thing out there.

With Sony, you just download the app and it works. No account or sign up required.

ya thats why i say all the bt anc headphones are flawed. they havnt made a good one yet

May 2, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #506 of 634
ya thats why i say all the bt anc headphones are flawed. they havnt made a good one yet
Don't disagree with you there. They perfect BT ANC headphone hasn't been made yet. But I can't keep waiting forever, and for all the things I'm prioritizing in a BT ANC headphone, the XM4 is currently as good as it gets.

May 2, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #507 of 634
Don't disagree with you there. They perfect BT ANC headphone hasn't been made yet. But I can't keep waiting forever, and for all the things I'm prioritizing in a BT ANC headphone, the XM4 is currently as good as it gets.

xm4 would be perfect if it was lower profile and neutral sound signature and better mic

and maybe had some nice gold trim on it too for looks

then i would buy them

xm5 maybe

May 3, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #508 of 634
Also, I'm not paying $550 for Airpods. Maybe in the future when they design it as practical as the Sony ANC headphone. It's a silly design. My XM3 does it's job as I need without paying $550 of it. I got a rig at home if I care for SQ. Airpods sound is not what I consider quality to wardant $550 with it's silly design.

Wnen I go on trips, XM3 is way more practical.

Gold trim? Dude, you got issues.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #509 of 634
Gold trim? Dude, you got issues.

ya i have issues, its called taste

looks better then your plain jane sony's

6296111-rd.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back