Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #541 of 634
Here's another model: Sony MDR-HW700DS supporting 9.1 with dedicated decoder with Multi HDMI plugs.
On the market for quite some years and available used...

Though you won't get 4k HDR 60Hz and would need an additional HDMI switch to separate video from audio to work around that...

So I am also hesitating as I
- yet own AirPods Pro and have yet experienced the effect on Apple TV 4k with beta TVOS
- don't want to have a big zoo of switches and receivers while I could just use one Airpod Max plus having head tracking and superior ANC/transparency mode...
There is also a TV station and Cinema headphones package from JVC. I still expect AirPod Max via AppleTV4k will be best. Also audio bit rate is very high on AppleTV4k streamer compared to other sources even with iTunes. Sony Android and Netflix Android don’t necessarily have high audio bit rate according to some av enthusiast geeks.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #542 of 634
Yep, I heard the JVC one is supposed to be top notch.
Still wondering why Sony isn't investing more efforts into movie capabilities for the latest X4 line, as far as I read the according app settings were available in X3 predecessor?
Haven't had those, so just wondering.
I will stick to my Airpod Pro for now as they are so versatile but every now and then wishing more impact for watching movies

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #543 of 634
Yep, I heard the JVC one is supposed to be top notch.
Still wondering why Sony isn't investing more efforts into movie capabilities for the latest X4 line, as far as I read the according app settings were available in X3 predecessor?
Haven't had those, so just wondering.
I will stick to my Airpod Pro for now as they are so versatile but every now and then wishing more impact for watching movies
That JVC is not that great. For pure sound quality the Airpod Max and Sony WH1000XM4 are better headphone speakers.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #544 of 634
That JVC is not that great. For pure sound quality the Airpod Max and Sony WH1000XM4 are better headphone speakers.
Is there any known way using the XM4 for spatial audio in movies?
As I stated before I thought that XM3 could do it through app settings while XM4 doesn't?
Besides SQ it's the ease of use which attracts me with Apple devices.
Plug and play plus getting some innovative features like head tracking and Atmos support in Apple Music and videos

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #545 of 634
How is LDAC on these, noticably better than the default codec?
Quite easy to spot it; with the setting on Best Quality instead on Best Connection.
(Tested on a Xperia 1 mk2)

Edit: I found with LDAC, that even in "Best Quality" mode, the connection seems way more stable than with my XM3s. They were more gaps/interruptions before in tricky conditions. Also, the connection stability on the new IEMs WF-1000XM4 seems better than the WH-1000XM3 as well (not that it was terrible before though).

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #546 of 634
Is there any known way using the XM4 for spatial audio in movies?
As I stated before I thought that XM3 could do it through app settings while XM4 doesn't?
Besides SQ it's the ease of use which attracts me with Apple devices.
Plug and play plus getting some innovative features like head tracking and Atmos support in Apple Music and videos
Not currently for MOVIES. I don’t think there will be for along time. My guess is this could potentially be a feature on next generation Sony XM, but the big problem is Sony needs Android TV, LG WEB OS abd others to implement Special software to do this. Very unlikely

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #548 of 634
And if Apple introduces Airplay transmission to AirPodMax from AppleTV, then game over. As that is almost losses audio. Much better then any dodgy Bluetooth mess
Actually working yet with TVOS beta and APP - including head tracking, am using it yet 😃

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #550 of 634
OK, now I understand you with Airplay vs Bluetooth.
Interesting concept, haven't heard about any headphone using wifi up to today.
Also not sure regarding latency Bluetooth vs Airplay over Wi-fi or the requirements regarding e.g power consumption.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #551 of 634
OK, now I understand you with Airplay vs Bluetooth.
Interesting concept, haven't heard about any headphone using wifi up to today.
Also not sure regarding latency Bluetooth vs Airplay over Wi-fi or the requirements regarding e.g power consumption.
Yet there is so much HIFI equipment supporting AirPlay. Why not simply add to headphones.
Bowers Wilkins Sound bar is designed first for AirPlay from AppleTV4k.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #552 of 634
Yet there is so much HIFI equipment supporting AirPlay. Why not simply add to headphones.
Bowers Wilkins Sound bar is designed first for AirPlay from AppleTV4k.
Two primary reasons:
1 - Wifi requires a great deal more power than bluetooth making it unsuitable for headsets
2 - you do not want your headphone to player link to be dependent on sharing a wifi network. Might work fine at home but useless when travelling.

We need another standard, or for bluetooth to take a big jump in bandwidth and noise rejection ability.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #553 of 634
Two primary reasons:
1 - Wifi requires a great deal more power than bluetooth making it unsuitable for headsets
2 - you do not want your headphone to player link to be dependent on sharing a wifi network. Might work fine at home but useless when travelling.

We need another standard, or for bluetooth to take a big jump in bandwidth and noise rejection ability.

We already have another better standard. It's called a cable :ksc75smile:

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #554 of 634
Anyone having luck with aftermarket pads? I'd like to get something that holds them a bit further away from my head.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #555 of 634
Anyone having luck with aftermarket pads? I'd like to get something that holds them a bit further away from my head.
Try the EarPadz Platinum (a Dekoni Audio sister brand). They don't collapse as much as the stock pads, so the drivers don't sit on your ears as much. I just got them though, so I haven't done any extensive testing yet (I don't use my XM4 that much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back