Sony WF-1000XM5
Sep 1, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #511 of 1,029
Hi.

I had the Sennheiser momentum true Wireless 3. I really loved the sound. Also the wind noise you could turn on in the app. But the left one got broken. It suddenly produced som noise/cracking sound. Had to return them. They where like 1 year old. I have now gotten refunded the money. That will say, i have to use the refund in the same store i bought them.

The dont have the tws3 in stock. But they do have the xm5s. How are they compared to the tws3?

I have some factors that are important.

They have to be comfortable, have good call quality, handle rain/windy situations and of course good sound.

I listen to all kind of music. Electronica, rock, pop, metal, classical, blues and so on. But i will mainly be using these outside. And then i mostly listen to rock,metal,edm and pop.

Im afraid these will be an downgrade in sound compared to tws3. I liked the sound of tws3 right away i puted them on. Too bad the got detected. I have also read on reddit that there are more people having problems with tws3.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #512 of 1,029
Hi.

I had the Sennheiser momentum true Wireless 3. I really loved the sound. Also the wind noise you could turn on in the app. But the left one got broken. It suddenly produced som noise/cracking sound. Had to return them. They where like 1 year old. I have now gotten refunded the money. That will say, i have to use the refund in the same store i bought them.

The dont have the tws3 in stock. But they do have the xm5s. How are they compared to the tws3?

I have some factors that are important.

They have to be comfortable, have good call quality, handle rain/windy situations and of course good sound.

I listen to all kind of music. Electronica, rock, pop, metal, classical, blues and so on. But i will mainly be using these outside. And then i mostly listen to rock,metal,edm and pop.

Im afraid these will be an downgrade in sound compared to tws3. I liked the sound of tws3 right away i puted them on. Too bad the got detected. I have also read on reddit that there are more people having problems with tws3.
I didn't expect this, but I got the Sennheiser CX, and I like it. I EQ to vocals to bring up the upper-mids and it helps. Without EQ'ing to pop vocals forward, I can't make out the vocals too well (during podcasts when I'm outdoors with higher noise floor) due to recessed upper-mids, which sounds too buttery. Well worth the price I paid for, $50 on sale. It fits so well and doesn't slip out for me even if it looks kinda bulky. It feels snug, which feels good to me. I use it for jogs all the time.

These won't be a downgrade. Stock frequency response comparison, XM5 wins. And I'm sure you'll get better ANC than what Sennheiser can do.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #513 of 1,029
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #514 of 1,029
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #515 of 1,029
So, a noticeable improvment with a good seal of the Spinfit ?
yes, a great seal here.

i had always a great seal with final typ e, but for the first time - with the xm5 - not.

Why you testing against Z1R? That's a no contest right there!
i mean...
I'm currently using more than my M9's and FD7's! Admittedly for their super convenience too.
i wanted to understand you :p

both were next to each other. i wanted to have a direct comparison here. I have to say... Xm5... Great job... once you find a great sealing... Great job xm5, really.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #517 of 1,029
yes, a great seal here.

i had always a great seal with final typ e, but for the first time - with the xm5 - not.

i mean...

i wanted to understand you :p

both were next to each other. i wanted to have a direct comparison here. I have to say... Xm5... Great job... once you find a great sealing... Great job xm5, really.
Glad you're hearing what I've been hearing, really amazing for a cheapish, single dynamic TWS.

I'm even using them with my gaming laptop while playing Baldurs Gate 3 and sound great.

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #519 of 1,029
Sep 2, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #521 of 1,029
How do the xm5s handle wind?
it does not have an explicit wind mode like xm4. However, based on ai, it should learn and improve noise against wind... We will see.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #522 of 1,029
I just got mine, they are so tiny compared to the two previous versions.

Sound wise they are very impressive once you get rid of the provided ear tips.

I had some Spinfit W1 handy so I immediately swapped after trying the standard Sony ones.

I walked home, about an hour and a half elapsed after buying them, I live in Windy Wellington New Zealand, with just ambient mode switched on there really wasn't much wind noise to speak of.

The biggest surprise to me was the soundstage and clarity, it is virtually up there with way more expensive wired iem's.

Prior to buying them I'd been using a Fir VxV, the Sony's really aren't that far off for out and about listening.

Early days but so far I'm really impressed!

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #523 of 1,029
Sep 2, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #524 of 1,029
I'm pretty sure Apple iPhone AAC is fixed rate 256 Kbps.

I wish there's an easy way to check the bitrate on iPhone. On a MacBook Air with Bluetooth 5.3, I found this line in the Console app which shows a fixed bitrate of 192Kbps (WF-1000XM5 set to Prioritize Sound Quality):
Code:
ACMP4AACBaseEncoder.cpp:692   (0x1514cae40) @@@@ 'aac ' encoder configuration: srIn = 44100, srOut = 44100, chans = 2, bitRateFormat = 3, bitrate = 192000, quality (complexity) = 32, VBRQ = -1, speechOptimization = 0, packetSizeLimit = 5952 (bits), packetBitSizeMin = 256 (bits), mMaxPacketSize = 1536 (bytes), userBandwidth = 0, delayMode = 0, mCodecDelay = 2112, drcConfiguration = 0, mPrePostFillMask = 0x0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back