Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 16, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #361 of 1,029
That's a bold statement but somehow it makes me hopeful.
It comes down to, is the hobby about enjoyment of music or testing ever more expensive kit. Its like 4K vs 8K, can anybody honestly say they need 8K unless you have 120"+ screens.

Personally, think I'm heading back to enjoying music over testing slightly different sounding kit, but that's just me.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #362 of 1,029
Secondly, yes you do need to tap 4 times to increase/decrease volume by one step. But THEN each consecutive tap will also increase/decrease volume by one extra step --> 4 taps = 1 step, 5 taps = 2 steps, 6 taps = 3 steps, and so on.
Anyone else try this (successfully)? Tried it this weekend, incl. w/ the app open and just watched the noise canceling toggle on/off w/ the single tap; on the right bud it didn't do anything. This was immediately tapping 4 times, then tapping 1 time.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #363 of 1,029
Anyone else try this (successfully)? Tried it this weekend, incl. w/ the app open and just watched the noise canceling toggle on/off w/ the single tap; on the right bud it didn't do anything. This was immediately tapping 4 times, then tapping 1 time.

He says that each consecutive tap to increase/decrease the volume.

So, in taps: 1-2-3-4 (volume up)-5 (volume up)-6 (volume up)-7 (volume up) and so on.

Basically 7 taps for +4 steps of volume, each tap after the third increases the volume by one step.

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #364 of 1,029
Has anyone noticed the "Prioritize Sound Quality" setting makes the sound quality substantially worse when paired to either Mac or iPhone?

I am upgrading from the XM4 and just spent the first 2 days agonizing about my XM5 purchase, trying all kinds of EQ settings, switching between different tips and was still really unhappy with the sound - no bass slam, harsh sibilance, and hardly any stereo image to give "air" to the sound. Only detail retrieval seemed better than XM4, and I was very close to returning the unit

Only after a factory reset did the XM5 really come to life! I narrowed the issue down to the "Bluetooth Connection Quality" setting, it needs to be on "Prioritize Stable Connection". Never thought to look there since I knew I was only going to get AAC on MacOS/iOS. Maybe there is a compatibility bug with XM5's Bluetooth handshake?

(WF-1000XM5 2.0.1, MacOS 13.5, iOS 16.6)

I am new to these boards so I hope I'm posting to the right place. Hi everyone!

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #365 of 1,029
Has anyone noticed the "Prioritize Sound Quality" setting makes the sound quality substantially worse when paired to either Mac or iPhone?

I am upgrading from the XM4 and just spent the first 2 days agonizing about my XM5 purchase, trying all kinds of EQ settings, switching between different tips and was still really unhappy with the sound - no bass slam, harsh sibilance, and hardly any stereo image to give "air" to the sound. Only detail retrieval seemed better than XM4, and I was very close to returning the unit

Only after a factory reset did the XM5 really come to life! I narrowed the issue down to the "Bluetooth Connection Quality" setting, it needs to be on "Prioritize Stable Connection". Never thought to look there since I knew I was only going to get AAC on MacOS/iOS. Maybe there is a compatibility bug with XM5's Bluetooth handshake?

(WF-1000XM5 2.0.1, MacOS 13.5, iOS 16.6)

I am new to these boards so I hope I'm posting to the right place. Hi everyone!
Hi, welcome. Yes, you are absolutely right here buddy.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #367 of 1,029
Hi, welcome. Yes, you are absolutely right here buddy.

I wonder if it was falling back to SBC. For Android, prioritize stable connection switches to AAC and audio quality switches to LDAC.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #368 of 1,029
Hi,

Trying to use my sony WF-1000XM5 earphones on my old Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. It will allow me to connect to the earphones using the Connect app but when I press the Headphone symbol to try to adjust any settings it says the following

"The latest version of Headphones Connect is necessary to use this headphone. Update this app from Google Play."

I have verion 8 Headphone Connect app which only supports my Samsung galaxy s7 edge which is Android 8 and if I try to update it to latest version of sony Headphone connect it will not install and get parsing the package error.
Without this option to use the Headphone settings means I have no noise cancellation.
I have been using my latest Sony xperia phone without any issues but would rather not use it as battery gets drained quicker.
Is anyone using these WF-1000XM5 earphones on older Android and successfully using the Headphone settings options?
Thanks
FWIW, I also use the XM5 with my old NW-ZX2 running android 4.2.2:smile_phones:

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #371 of 1,029
Weird. On both my S23 Ultra and M3 Ultra, Stable connection switches to SBC without any possibility to AAC it.
My S23+ goes LDAC to AAC, not SBC.

I use Bluetooth Codec Changer app to set as LDAC660 as default when XM5 detected and seems stable. Go LDAC990 if at home.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #372 of 1,029
He says that each consecutive tap to increase/decrease the volume.

So, in taps: 1-2-3-4 (volume up)-5 (volume up)-6 (volume up)-7 (volume up) and so on.

Basically 7 taps for +4 steps of volume, each tap after the third increases the volume by one step.

Exactly ! You need to continuously taps without any "pause" between the 4th first taps and the 5th (and more) one(s).

For instance if you want to quickly lower volume (up to mute), you need to tap "non-stop" on the left earbud :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #373 of 1,029

I use Bluetooth Codec Changer app to set as LDAC660 as default when XM5 detected and seems stable. Go LDAC990 if at home.

My A306 definitely goes to AAC when set to connection preferred in the headphone app. I just checked again to be sure.

Aug 17, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #374 of 1,029

Confirm this with the developer options. On my S10e the app changes the bit rate and sample rate, but doesn't seem to change the connection quality.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #375 of 1,029

Confirm this with the developer options. On my S10e the app changes the bit rate and sample rate, but doesn't seem to change the connection quality.

The app's FAQ sections states that applying the sound quality option may require you to reconnect the device. So I set my preference to 990kbps and I will test to see if it works this way.

Just got the WF-1000XM5s today. At first impression it seems that it can have more trouble keeping a stable connection at 990kbps in comparison to the WF-1000XM4s. Otherwise, I love that the bass is more controlled now. The XM5s sound more open now, I'd say thanks to the new and bigger dynamic drivers. The sound is definitely clearer and less congested. I didn't feel the need to use any EQ for these, contrary to the XM4s. In any case, EQ off sounds different than EQ on with all bands set to 0.

I like how smaller than the XM4s they are. The XM4s would cause little discomfort after a while, my outer ear would hurt in a place where the buds were touching it. With the XM5s they either don't sit anywhere on the outer ear, or I just don't feel them! When I take them out after an hour or more I don't feel relief, I just don't really feel anything special, which is very nice. They don't seem like falling out of the ears, and they seem to produce less thumpy noise when walking.

I wish the transparency mode would be even more transparent, but I can definitely live with it.

I'm waiting for LC3 to get out of beta, or to be made usable by other devices too, and not just those 2 Xperia smartphones. I'm curious how the latency is noticeable, or hopefully how it is not noticeable when using certain applications.

My opinion regarding some other opinions that others have about these buds (not necessarily here on Head-Fi):
1. The buds don't have enough bass no more/they have little (to no?) bass - I think they have plenty of bass, it's just more controlled, it doesn't go nearly as boomy as before, while still sounding solid, filling. The bass is also not there in a song, in the same way, all the time. If a song doesn't have it like that, it doesn't sound like that. If a song calls for bass, these buds can deliver: distortion-free, articulated, textured bass, not just a boom. You can hear the frequency of the bass better now. I listen to this kind of details, so it's definitely appreciated, especially for a pair of wireless buds.

2. The shiny part is trouble - Yeah, I get that, I also wish they weren't shiny, just so you can grip them better with your fingers. This aspect doesn't seem too bad though, I can certainly live with it. I didn't have issues taking them out of the case, but I feel like I have to be more careful when handling the buds. It also doesn't seem to get greasy that easily, so that's a good thing (maybe it was just my experience until now though).

3. The price is big - Yes, I agree, it's kinda big. It wasn't too hard for me to accept it, and I also didn't have any doubt I may not get the buds because of the price, so it wasn't that much of an issue for me. Maybe the price would be reduced in time, or there'd be some reduced price deal, but I honestly couldn't manage my excitement. I have the XM4s, and the WH1000XM5. I preferred the sound of the WH-1000XM5 a lot better than that of the XM4 buds. However, it can be uncomfortable to wear them in the summer because of the heat. The way the XM5 buds sound, I'll definitely use them a lot more!

5. Noise cancelling is worse than that on the XM4s - I don't really think so myself. In my short experience they are actually a bit better like Sony claims. I'll get to use them more in the following days though, so I'll see.

6. The XM5s seem to also have battery issues - I didn't get this kind of issues yet. The difference was never bigger than 5-10% (usually not going over 5%). Sony specifies on their help page: "The left or right headset unit works as the main headset unit, so it consumes the rechargeable battery faster than the other unit. There is a difference in remaining battery charge between the left and right headset units, but this is not a malfunction." - just to keep in mind. In the operating time/codec table they also specify "Max." for all hours specified there (ex. Max. 5 hours), so don't expect it to actually last 5 hours. In any case, they charge really fast, so there's that. Let's hope there are no actual issues with the battery, even though my XM4s are still fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back