Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 18, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #391 of 1,039
I might try it on my A307 to confirm I get same, just that I only use the A307 wired for its sound sig rather than the TWS DAC/amp sig.
for

Cool... it would be nice to know if you are seeing the same thing on your Sony.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #392 of 1,039
Cool... it would be nice to know if you are seeing the same thing on your Sony.
Yep, same as you, so looks like the Sony BT audio preference setting is either LDAC 990 (Sound) or LDAC default (Connection) and doesn't show actual default bitrate, and overrides the BT Codec app config.

If Sony set to Connection, BT Codec app just shows 'default' in quality setting.

App works perfectly on my S23+ but looks like not on A307/A306 due to Sony having their own two BT quality options (best or adaptive), and no way of seeing if Adaptive is at 330, 660 or 990 as it goes.

Since getting my S23+ 256GB, a BTR7 and now also the XM5 I've rarely used my A307!

If I want top sound then my BTR7 USB connected to phone using 4.4mm balanced and UAPP app is best audio for me vs using the A307, and A307 is much, much slower to navigate and of course has its much smaller screen to work with. Small size/weight can obvious be an advantage of the Sony and fact it's not a phone with interruptions.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #393 of 1,039
Yep, same as you, so looks like the Sony BT audio preference setting is either LDAC 990 (Sound) or LDAC default (Connection) and doesn't show actual default bitrate, and overrides the BT Codec app config.

If Sony set to Connection, BT Codec app just shows 'default' in quality setting.

App works perfectly on my S23+ but looks like not on A307/A306 due to Sony having their own two BT quality options (best or adaptive), and no way of seeing if Adaptive is at 330, 660 or 990 as it goes.

Since getting my S23+ 256GB, a BTR7 and now also the XM5 I've rarely used my A307!

Thanks for checking! I figured it was probably a Sony thing...

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #394 of 1,039
Some amateurish comparison photos between the XM4s and the XM5s.

20230818_173235.jpg
20230818_173132.jpg
20230818_173327.jpg

20230818_173349.jpg
20230818_173358.jpg

20230818_174813.jpg
20230818_174835.jpg

The infrared sensor port, not visible unless I use the flash:
20230818_175619.jpg
20230818_175638.jpg

A close up of the wind mesh:
20230818_173615.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #395 of 1,039
I finally took the plunge and purchased a WF-1000XM5, owning an XM4 since last year. It was mainly the reports here plus a narrow selection of the ”professional“ reviews out there that persuaded me to invest. My main use case for TWSs is moving around inside and outside of the house with my iPhone, i.e. with AAC codec. Everything works out of the box, plus Headphone Connect app. Updated to firmware 2.0.1. Sometimes my use will be with my Cayin N8ii DAP, i.e. with LDAC. You are correct when you conclude from these statements that I am moving in the directions of giving priority to enjoying music over investigating gear, and giving some priority to simplicity.

No in-depth sound impressions yet, except for a ”not at all disappointed“ as of now. I am using Sennheiser IE Pro tips (M), as these are the only ones in my small collection with wax guards. The seal self-test easily yields an okay. (My XM4s have Final E.)

I need to ask one question though: My XM5s do not snap into place in the case as snappily and firmly as my XM4s do with their case. I yet have to compare my tips to the stock ones size-wise. Your experiences, please? Any problems with charging the earpieces in the case?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #396 of 1,039
I finally took the plunge and purchased a WF-1000XM5, owning an XM4 since last year. It was mainly the reports here plus a narrow selection of the ”professional“ reviews out there that persuaded me to invest. My main use case for TWSs is moving around inside and outside of the house with my iPhone, i.e. with AAC codec. Everything works out of the box, plus Headphone Connect app. Updated to firmware 2.0.1. Sometimes my use will be with my Cayin N8ii DAP, i.e. with LDAC. You are correct when you conclude from these statements that I am moving in the directions of giving priority to enjoying music over investigating gear, and giving some priority to simplicity.

No in-depth sound impressions yet, except for a ”not at all disappointed“ as of now. I am using Sennheiser IE Pro tips (M), as these are the only ones in my small collection with wax guards. The seal self-test easily yields an okay. (My XM4s have Final E.)

I need to ask one question though: My XM5s do not snap into place in the case as snappily and firmly as my XM4s do with their case. I yet have to compare my tips to the stock ones size-wise. Your experiences, please? Any problems with charging the earpieces in the case?
Mine snap in strong and no charging issue. Can't say I consider it less magnetic than XM4 I had.

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #397 of 1,039

Mine don't snap in as firmly as my XM4 did either, something that really bugs me about them.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #399 of 1,039
This is the "Alternative A2DP Driver" configuration window - this software provides LDAC support on Windows.

I was standing perfectly still, not moving my head up/down/left/right, nothing, at a distance of less than a meter away from my laptop. My laptop is put on a stand at my desk, on the right, and it's staying basically at head level. It has the Intel AX201 adapter, a Wi-Fi 6 and BT 5.2 card. The Wi-Fi was turned off, as I use an Ethernet cable.

If I set the bitrate fixed on 990 kbps, the audio is mostly fine. There is a little glitch every once in a while, most of the time it's fine though.

I then set the quality to 990 kbps preferred, but with the option to automatically reduce the quality if necessary to keep the connection stable. Here's 12 seconds of how it goes, check the bitrate:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

It's interesting to notice how it sometimes go to 492 kbps, and not only to 660 kbps. So the buds may be a lot more stable on 660 kbps rather than on 990 kbps. Maybe with other devices it's better, though with the WH-1000XM5 I don't have any issue at all, so I'm not sure it's my laptop's fault :D

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #400 of 1,039
I really enjoy the 1000XM5, after a few weeks I think they are the best TWS I ever owned for more than a decade (Apple, B&O, JVC, Samsung, Technics, Cambridge Audio, Soundcore, ...) tough there is still some room for improvement :
-> software which don' t allow to assign touch functions as we would like,
-> no android short-cuts to allow or disallow touching functions, ...
-> buds are still a bit too thick to be comfortable for side sleepers .. a bit larger buds with lower profile would have been better.

But, I am surprised by the quality of the foam ear tips which are, for my ears, really good, comfortable with an impressive passive noise cancelling (which makes ANC mostly useless for music)..
I even tried them with some IEMs like XBA-N3AP, Kiwi Ears Quintet and now I want to find some more of those tips, but they seems not really available anywhere in the world (only models for XM3/XM4).
Any idea where we can get them from Europe ? I am looking exclusively for those genuine Sony's models which are EP-NI1010L & EP-NI1010M and nothing else.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #401 of 1,039
But, I am surprised by the quality of the foam ear tips which are, for my ears, really good, comfortable with an impressive passive noise cancelling (which makes ANC mostly useless for music)..
I even tried them with some IEMs like XBA-N3AP, Kiwi Ears Quintet and now I want to find some more of those tips, but they seems not really available anywhere in the world (only models for XM3/XM4).
Any idea where we can get them from Europe ? I am looking exclusively for those genuine Sony's models which are EP-NI1010L & EP-NI1010M and nothing else.
I‘m sure you will have checked already: Sony‘s German on-line store says ”new product, available soon“ for these. Forgive me for mentioning s.th. obvious.

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #402 of 1,039
Aug 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #404 of 1,039

Users who are viewing this thread

Back