Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,636 of 2,999
Finally had opportunity to take these on flight and must admit I brought the WH M4 with me just in case -- DIDN'T need them as these were impressive enough in blocking out 90% of the annoyances of being on a packed flight.

The stock tips are brilliant. I'd even turned the music off so I can fall asleep with the slight hum of engine rumble serving as white noise.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,638 of 2,999
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,639 of 2,999
They are to me. Probably not purely on sq but certainly as a complete package
I would agree with that. You can get some amazing sound quality between $200-$300 with wired IEMs that will blow the XM4 out of the water, but you'd need to invest more if you want an over-ears Bluetooth amplifier, and they would mostly lack in sound isolation plus calling functions if you use those.

drftr

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,640 of 2,999
I returned the WF-1000XM4 only after 1 day of use. The sound quality was a huge let down for me. As per the graphs, the treble and detail in these things are very recessed, and even with max settings in the eq. they still lacked detail, air and finesse for me.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,641 of 2,999
I returned the WF-1000XM4 only after 1 day of use. The sound quality was a huge let down for me. As per the graphs, the treble and detail in these things are very recessed, and even with max settings in the eq. they still lacked detail, air and finesse for me.
Well, I suppose that's why all the comments of this thread exist and that's essentially the jist of it. I guess the features and ease of use didn't make it worth to you and that's okay. There are certainly better headphones for the same money if the only requirement is stellar sound quality.

I'm glad you managed to return them however. Where I live I'm not able to return them, in the case I didn't like them because once you open them the packaging isn't in retail quality anymore. All this talk about the environmental impact of the packaging, it is nice that it's recyclable but I do think that Sony could have made it a little more reusable too.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,642 of 2,999
Maybe it’s because I’m a fairly young person (late 20s) but I really haven’t had an issue with treble and detail retrieval on the XM4s. Obviously I can tell that these are a long way off from being bright (or even balanced) but I do still hear cymbals just fine.

I will agree with you that they sound the opposite of airy, they’re fairly closed-in, but we’re talking about ANC earplugs here, so that’s somewhat par for the course (you can’t really demand soundstage comparable to even closed-back headphones from these things, I don’t think.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,644 of 2,999
The xm4 do have details and excellent resolution. They don't employ the trick of making highs artificially bright to give an illusion of details. They sound smooth which may give an impression of lack of details.
Exactly. Its smooth and engaging sound is what makes them work really well for me.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #1,645 of 2,999
Exactly. Its smooth and engaging sound is what makes them work really well for me.
Same here. They're not artificially bright, nor are they closed in. If you prefer bright, airy sound, maybe look elsewhere. Warm, smooth and punchy is what these are all about. Perfect for my daily use/travel/streaming needs.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #1,647 of 2,999
Hi, I intend to grab a pair of these. However, from many sources I hear that the stock ear tips aren't up to standard. I do have SednaEarfit Xelastec tips and also Final Audio E type tips - both work well with my BD Xelento. So I will try these with the XM4

In the forums Sony Hybrid tips are recommended often times. Which of these should I get? I thought it would be the wisest idea to go with the tips that come with the higher end models IER-M9 and IER-M7. What is the model number for these tips? I find the numbers to be a bit confusing. EP-TC50, EP-EX10/11...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,648 of 2,999
Hi, I intend to grab a pair of these. However, from many sources I hear that the stock ear tips aren't up to standard. I do have SednaEarfit Xelastec tips and also Final Audio E type tips - both work well with my BD Xelento. So I will try these with the XM4

In the forums Sony Hybrid tips are recommended often times. Which of these should I get? I thought it would be the wisest idea to go with the tips that come with the higher end models IER-M9 and IER-M7. What is the model number for these tips? I find the numbers to be a bit confusing. EP-TC50, EP-EX10/11...
Stick with the Sedna's & Final Audio tips if you like them. Both fit the XM4's perfectly & into the case without issue.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,649 of 2,999
Stick with the Sedna's & Final Audio tips if you like them. Both fit the XM4's perfectly & into the case without issue.
The Final Audio E tips might make an already treble-light XM4 sound signature even leaner in the treble…. The Sednas, in my experience, are a good choice. I should add that I have not tried the Final E tips on the XM4, so take my comment with a boulder of salt.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,650 of 2,999
wx_camera_1634611383998.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back