Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #1,606 of 2,999
Hey all, so just picked up the SHure aonic tws2 (or whatever they are called). Solid reviews, but the XM4 is quite obviously better. I was shocked how muddy the Shure sounds in comparison. Since the iem can be detached, ai do wonder what potential it has. Curious if others have tried it to create a reasonably affordable improvement to the XM4, which seems to be the best on the market in my experience.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,608 of 2,999
Sold them. Regret it

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #1,609 of 2,999
:) regarding walkman….as long as you have one which can transmit ldac it doesn’t matter as you’ll send best quality to the sony which have their own dac chip on board.

Sorry, wrong post quoted :wink:
Wait! LDAC is also waterproof?
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #1,610 of 2,999
Lol :dt880smile: let us know.

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,611 of 2,999
Quick Look: Tuscan leather for your Sony

I have to confess, I have a bit of a fetish for cases. Fortunately this crazy hobby of ours affords me every opportunity to indulge in my case fetish, be it for storing IEMs and DAPs, taking gear on the road, or even covering and protecting individual items.

MITERXM4_01.jpg

The latter is my focus here, with the latest case design from South Korean start-up Miter. I've already had the pleasure of reviewing some of Miter's larger storage cases, most recently the Miter Classic, which is now the official keepsafe for all my portable gear at home.

So when Joey (the voice of Miter for us westerners) suggested I take a look at their new case design for the XM4, I jumped at the chance.

MITERXM4_06.jpg

The Miter Case for the Sony WF-1000XM4 (to use its full name) comes in two versions: PU leather, in a choice of three colours (black, navy and red), and genuine leather in a choice of three colours (Turkish Blue, dark green and peach pink).

I chose black PU and Turkish Blue leather for the purposes of this review, but little did I know how much thought and effort went into this seemingly innocuous accessory.

MITERXM4_07.jpg

For one, the leather case isn't just any leather. Opening the black storage box the leather case was shipped in, the first thing I noticed was a small certificate of authenticity from none other than the famous Conceria Il Ponte leather tannery in Tuscany, Italy. Turns out Miter sourced genuine vegetable tanned Pueblo leather for their tiny leather cases!

Structurally, the case is a simple two-part affair: a cover for each of the top and bottom sections of the case. The top part covers the entire lid of the case, while the bottom part has a cutout at the back to allow for easy access to the USB charging port. The two-part design also ensures the charging case opens fully without impediment.

MITERXM4_02.jpg

I can't say the PU leather case has anywhere near the uber-premium feel of the genuine Tuscan leather, but it's clean, simple and minimalist for those wanting less bling and more bang-for-buck (albeit the price difference between the two is a mere $5).

Both versions are very well made, the leather case exceptionally so. The fit is snug and the case won't come off with ease during regular use. The inside of the case is lined with a soft material that won't damage the scratch-prone Sony case, and the seams are cleverly placed on the back, so the facade appears seamless. Importantly, both cases don't interfere with the wireless charging function, and the case LED is clearly visible at all times.

MITERXM4_05.jpg

Closing thoughts

In my opinion, the XM4 case, for all its compactness, utility, and style, needs protecting. The matte finish is susceptible to scratches, fingerprints or worse when dropped or thrown casually into a pocket or bag.

Initially I bought a basic silicone cover to protect it for a few bucks off Amazon, and it did the job just fine. But if you want to add a touch of class, or better yet make a statement with a genuine Italian leather coat on your XM4s, the Miter case is an excellent, inexpensive and genuinely stylish option.

MITERXM4_03.jpg

Miter's XM4 cases can be found online here:

Leather:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F5S2JN1

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09F5S2JN1

PU:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F5VP18J

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09F5VP18J
I’ve got the basic blue version

274EEE4D-A90A-4B21-8309-5156B13273CD.jpeg

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,612 of 2,999
I'm sitting at home on the couch with these in. I could have my Elex, or AKG K371, or M50x on instead, but I really enjoy these. They obviously aren't on the same level as an Elex, but the convenience of TWS is sometimes worth it. After owning these for a few months now, I'm still loving them. Just a simple tip swap, no EQ with LDAC locked at the highest bitrate and I'm really liking what these do. Enjoying some Opeth right now, the "My Arms, Your Hearse" album.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,613 of 2,999
I can't believe there isn't more action in this thread. I've owned all kinds headphones/earphones over the years, and I constantly feel like my Amazon return threshold is in jeopardy.

That said, I've been listing to these Sonys skeptically for about 2 weeks now and I think they're the best I've ever owned or tried. (Wired / wireless / iem / tws / etc.) The tonality and staging is really good. Just listening to lossless out of apple music.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,614 of 2,999
I can't believe there isn't more action in this thread.
That's because instead of posting to this thread everybody who owns these wonderful XM4s are jumping into the other threads in this forum spreading the XM4 gospel... joking.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,616 of 2,999
I can't believe there isn't more action in this thread. I've owned all kinds headphones/earphones over the years, and I constantly feel like my Amazon return threshold is in jeopardy.

That said, I've been listing to these Sonys skeptically for about 2 weeks now and I think they're the best I've ever owned or tried. (Wired / wireless / iem / tws / etc.) The tonality and staging is really good. Just listening to lossless out of apple music.
That is pretty high praise for the XM4. I would agree they sound great, and are a fantastic total product. I wouldn‘t go so far as to say the sound better than my wired IEM, but they do sound better than my other TWS. But I don’t have the ones others have been raving about - EQ, PI7, or Devialet, so there is that…

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,617 of 2,999
Just curious how often do you guys still listen to your wired IEMs... I almost never do now except for gaming where I can connect wired IEMs to my PS5 or XBox Series X controller. Airpods Pro and WF4 all the way for me. I have yet to find a pair of wireless that allows me to side sleep comfortably though. I can do it with Westone W80 (it can be wireless technically) but not any main brands out there with ANC.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #1,618 of 2,999
Just curious how often do you guys still listen to your wired IEMs... I almost never do now except for gaming where I can connect wired IEMs to my PS5 or XBox Series X controller. Airpods Pro and WF4 all the way for me. I have yet to find a pair of wireless that allows me to side sleep comfortably though. I can do it with Westone W80 (it can be wireless technically) but not any main brands out there with ANC.
I can side sleep with the Earin M2 but the battery only last just under 3 hours. I only use my TWS when out and about, otherwise I always use my wired iems and phones

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,620 of 2,999
Any comparison between the XM4 Vs. Galaxy Buds Pro in terms of Sound, I don't care too much for ANC.
I stated mine a while back in the going wireless thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back