Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Aug 11, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #451 of 502
Can you pair these Sonys to a laptop like MacBook Pro? Do you need a software like Sony Connect to do this?
No, you don’t need any additional software to connect to your mac. All you have to do is to go to bluetooth icon, scroll down and click connect to your sony. But one caveat, you cant really have full control of the volume on your mac (not sure if it’s just my macbook pro). For instance, if you set your sony at 50% volume on your iPhone, you will get only 55% when the volume is set at maximum at your mac. So don’t be surprised if the output on wf1000xm3 is too soft, you might have to reconnect it back to your iPhone and adjust it. Nothing major but it’s annoying sometimes. Also, if you find the sound quality to be poor when connect to mac, you probably have bluetooth audio setting to ‘SBC’. Just change it to ‘AAC’ only.

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #452 of 502
Sorry to hijack the discussion. I am a newbie here and i don’t have enough privilege to start my own thread. Just want to tell you guys who own WF-1000xm3 to try Comply SmartCore sport pro tips!! Not only it solves my fitting problem, but it also significantly reduces the background! High recommend guys! Noisy street becomes a quiet library instantly! Best combination ever!

Hello guys!
Update on comply + WF1000xm3 combo. After using comply for weeks, i found one problem. That is, comply tips are
not so durable, especially when the foams are squished in the case when you keep them. [my comply broke only after 2 weeks of usage]. So I bought Shure Olive tips! Cut the 2mm of its base, so that they would fit into the case without being squished! And amazingly, it works! First impression - the foams do feel harder but also more durable! Fuller bass! Note that you have to really push the tips into nozzles. It doesn’t fit perfectly But it does the job. Shure Olive Tip + Sony = no more worry about buying replacing tips frequently.

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #453 of 502
Yeah Comply tips wear/tear really quickly...Good that you found a solution.
Having said that I'm guessing the Sony standard tips with ANC ON would give similar isolation/NR to the Sony+Comply (or other well sealing tips) and put less pressure on the ear canal as well.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #454 of 502
Unfortunately I can't find a good fit and moving back to my B&O E8 has my main headphones. I'll still keep them, as they do sound great but only use them when I'm not being active.

I've tried Comply tips and they do fit better but still feel like they're sliding out my ears over time. I put on some Shure form tips and don't like how much it makes the headphones stick out of my ear.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #455 of 502
If they slip out that's not going to work but if it's just a seal problem, ANC should fix the isolation problem that normally results from a bad seal. Actually with a perfect seal ANC isn't going to be very useful.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #456 of 502
Hello guys!
Update on comply + WF1000xm3 combo. After using comply for weeks, i found one problem. That is, comply tips are
not so durable, especially when the foams are squished in the case when you keep them. [my comply broke only after 2 weeks of usage]. So I bought Shure Olive tips! Cut the 2mm of its base, so that they would fit into the case without being squished! And amazingly, it works! First impression - the foams do feel harder but also more durable! Fuller bass! Note that you have to really push the tips into nozzles. It doesn’t fit perfectly But it does the job. Shure Olive Tip + Sony = no more worry about buying replacing tips frequently.

I can't seem to pair these to my MaBook Pro. With my bluetooth keyboard, trackpad connected at all time, I can pair Airpods and a Sennheiser Momentum, no problem, but not the Sony.
I wonder why? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #457 of 502
Picked up a pair of the WF-1000XM3 last week and I am quite impressed with them. NC is VERY good and the sound isn't as thick/sloppy as the WH1000M3 full sized headphones. Just some initial impressions so far. Bluetooth connectivity is spot on and they sound pretty darn good overall.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #458 of 502
Yeah Comply tips wear/tear really quickly...Good that you found a solution.
Having said that I'm guessing the Sony standard tips with ANC ON would give similar isolation/NR to the Sony+Comply (or other well sealing tips) and put less pressure on the ear canal as well.

Oh yes, i would recommend comply or shure tips to those who can’t get a good seal with their sony standard tips.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #459 of 502
Yes but wouldn't you get the same type of isolation/NR with sony+comply and sony+standard tips+ANC with less pressure on the ear canal ? I'm guessing ANC doesn't make much of a difference when you use the Comply tips ?

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #461 of 502
A thing I noticed in all the reviews is their lack of understanding of DSEE HX and how they says it improves the sound. DSEE only works if the EQ is set to OFF, which in my case renders DSEE useless.

Well unfortunately most reviews aren't really reviews, more like impressions - they just play with it and do a write-up or video and then move on to the next product. So not surprised at all.

It kinda makes sense that DSEE would only work with EQ off. It's already messing with the signal, so that would be messing with it twice, which at that point you may be listening to something much different than originally recorded in my opinion, lol.

Actually it is pretty amazing thinking about how much the original signal gets messed with until finally getting to the end user. Firstly compressed by the music streamer, then compressed through the BT stream, then w/e EQ the wireless headphone applies.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #462 of 502
I've been using the E8 for over a year and they sound great. The XM3 sound doesn't disappoint. To my ears the E8 still sounds the slightly better quality. When listening to 'Freya Ridings - Ultraviolet' I get distortion in the highs which is much less noticeable on the E8s. But very enjoy the airy and clarity of the XM3.
Many thanks. Picked up the XM3s and must say that I am sincerely impressed. Played with them for 10 days now and I think it will be difficult to return to my otherwise beloved E8. Yes they may be sounding a bit cleaner, but the NC on the xm3s makes a diffence. They are very engaging and comfortable...

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #463 of 502
Hello guys!
Thanks for this. FWIW I did the same slicing on the Comply tips. Now XM3s fit both in the case and in my ears and the tips provide excellent isolation...

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #464 of 502
Thanks for this. FWIW I did the same slicing on the Comply tips. Now XM3s fit both in the case and in my ears and the tips provide excellent isolation...
I'm curious, once you get good passive isolation does ANC still make a significant difference ?

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #465 of 502
I'm curious, once you get good passive isolation does ANC still make a significant difference ?
In my experience, the NC makes a significant difference, no matter which tips you use, provided they fit to your ears. I have used the stock foam tips and they are fine, but somewhat bulky. The comply tips fits my ears better and do give additional passive isolation, but when you add NC, the sound becomes better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back