Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #481 of 502
location pm me please tq
at kota kinabalu sabah haha

so.. how many still reporting issues on the X ? cause mine has no problem on connection, with NC and ambient off, cause they WAY too sensitive and keep lowering the right earpiece volume, and taking both out of case default ons the ambient mode

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #482 of 502
Hello guys!
Update on comply + WF1000xm3 combo. After using comply for weeks, i found one problem. That is, comply tips are
not so durable, especially when the foams are squished in the case when you keep them. [my comply broke only after 2 weeks of usage]. So I bought Shure Olive tips! Cut the 2mm of its base, so that they would fit into the case without being squished! And amazingly, it works! First impression - the foams do feel harder but also more durable! Fuller bass! Note that you have to really push the tips into nozzles. It doesn’t fit perfectly But it does the job. Shure Olive Tip + Sony = no more worry about buying replacing tips frequently.
Are you still happy with the Shure Olive tips ? You say they're harder but do they compress as well as the Comply so that they can be inserted in the canal too ?
I now have the XM3 and after trying many tip options I've settled for the Comply Comfort + (work better than the Isolation for me) but longevity seems dubious !

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #485 of 502
Got these yesterday. While they obviously cannot compete with TOTL IEMs I am quite happy with them for what htey are. So far I'd say the best tips I've found for them are Spiral Dots and AET07. I do believe the AET07s sound a little better, but the Spiral Dots provide better comfort for me.

The stock tips do not work great for me. I can't deep seal with the ss or small tips the way I can with the IER-Z1R and some other IEMs. The mediums fit but loosely, and the large ones are hard to adjust to get balanced sound for my ears though they do seal well. The Spiral Dots don't take any adjustment to fit in correctly for me. I also tried regular old EP-EX11 tips. I think the problem with the EP-EX11 and stock tips is the bore is too narrow. The bass sounds too bloated and one note. The Spiral Dots help a bit, and the AET07s are even better but less comfortable. Haven't tried my Symbios just yet.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #486 of 502
What is a fair price for a used set of wf-1000x?
I just ordered a set of spunky beats and now got offered a pair of these Sony's with "a bit of a volume issue"
How much should I offer,if anything at all?
Is the volume issue well known or might it just be earwax clogging them?

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #487 of 502
What is a fair price for a used set of wf-1000x?
I just ordered a set of spunky beats and now got offered a pair of these Sony's with "a bit of a volume issue"
How much should I offer, if anything at all?
Is the volume issue well known or might it just be earwax clogging them?

Unless you know how to fix it, I personally wouldn't offer anything.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #491 of 502
Battery issues

Have not visited here for a while - looks quite quiet. Have not used my WF-1000XM3 for a while - use them when travelling which during lockdown isn't very often. They have been in their case for maybe 6 months. Fully charged them and then started to use them. They sound as good as ever, am delighted with them.

BUT...

The battery life seems to be about one hour now. Maybe less. The Sony Headphones app is showing battery levels at 20% for right d 0% for left after maybe an hour with the case at 100%. Have let them go to flat then recharged them. Done that for a few cycles. No difference. Am gutted. Am not sure what to make of this as I have never had battery problems with anything else before. Maybe this has surfaced here and I have missed it.

And... I did the same with my WH-1000XM3s and they seem fine.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #492 of 502
Battery issues

Have not visited here for a while - looks quite quiet. Have not used my WF-1000XM3 for a while - use them when travelling which during lockdown isn't very often. They have been in their case for maybe 6 months. Fully charged them and then started to use them. They sound as good as ever, am delighted with them.

BUT...

The battery life seems to be about one hour now. Maybe less. The Sony Headphones app is showing battery levels at 20% for both IEMs after maybe 50 minutes with the case at 100%. Have let them go to flat then recharged them. Done that for a few cycles. No difference. Am gutted. Am not sure what to make of this as I have never had battery problems with anything else before. Maybe this has surfaced here and I have missed it.

And... I did the same with my WH-1000XM3s and they seem fine.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

This is one of the major issues with TWS headphones. Their battery life isn’t the most stellar (and I mean that from a longevity point of view). Most batteries have a number of cycles before they wear out, typically around 3-500 or so (it may have improved). So take the battery life of the TWS (without the case) and multiply that by 3-500 and you get an approximate number of hours you can run on them max (not including the drain from standby). So we have a quoted battery life of 6 hours (which may decrease with use), that multiplies out to 1800-3000 hours of total runtime. Say you use them for just 2 hours a day, that’s 900-1500 days of total life (3-5 years essentially). However, if you use them more than 2 hours a day, say closer to 4 or 5, then you start seeing the tolls hit in just 1-3 years before the battery is considered depleted. Getting the battery to last longer would require better battery tech (which can only get so good chemically) or more efficient headphones (very possible to do).

Edit: my OG AirPods lasted maybe 1½ years before the battery went to trash. My pros have been getting swapped out just about every year due to the ANC issues. We’ll see how long they last after the warranty runs up. Though the OG AirPods had a 4 hour battery life (vs 6 of the Sony), I think the Pro is the same (don’t remember off hand though).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #493 of 502
Thanks for the rapid response.

I should have pointed out that the last time they were used before they were put in their case in a drawer around 6 months ago the battery life was pretty much as new: 5-6 hours of continuous use. It wasn't a slow deterioration with use. Rather a complete drop after no use. I see that some folk have made their own cases so that the IEMs don't have to travel in their charging case and wonder if that is linked?

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #494 of 502
Thanks for the rapid response.

I should have pointed out that the last time they were used before they were put in their case in a drawer around 6 months ago the battery life was pretty much as new: 5-6 hours of continuous use. It wasn't a slow deterioration with use. Rather a complete drop after no use. I see that some folk have made their own cases so that the IEMs don't have to travel in their charging case and wonder if that is linked?

I’m not sure what would cause that. I know that extreme battery drain is bad for lithium ion batteries too. If you completely drain them, like well past the 0%* mark (which the software wouldn’t let you do anyways) it could permanently damage the battery. So if they died (0%) then continued to drain slowly past some point of no return that could cause major issues. Normally what happens in that scenario is that the battery is completely dead (won’t take any charge) though.

*0% that the software shows you is never actually 0%. They always leave buffer space so you don’t hit the true 0% to avoid this condition actually being met.

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #495 of 502
Just checked - they were purchased in September of 2019, not even 18 months ago. They got used when traveling - which I did a lot, air and rail - but nowhere near enough for the batteries to reach a normal end of life state. As I say, they still sound really great, I have no complaints there and the Comply tips really work for me. If they stay at one hour battery life then they really aren't good for traveling - journeys are often 3-10 hours. I guess time will tell if they recover. What would be good to know / find out is if this is normal behaviour if they are in there case and not used for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back