Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #331 of 502
Hello.
i have been looking at these for a couple of weeks now, and i have a question.
how secure does the fit feel like?
and how does the NC handle strong wind noises?
the reason i'm asking is i am riding my bike to work every day, now i realise these aren't water proof, so ofc i'm not using them in the rain.
but when the weather is nice i would like to be able to use them, would that in your opinion be doable?

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #332 of 502
Hello.
i have been looking at these for a couple of weeks now, and i have a question.
how secure does the fit feel like?
and how does the NC handle strong wind noises?
the reason i'm asking is i am riding my bike to work every day, now i realise these aren't water proof, so ofc i'm not using them in the rain.
but when the weather is nice i would like to be able to use them, would that in your opinion be doable?

You might want to hold off on these and try out the water resistant "sports" version:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/sony-wf-sp700n-true-wireless-sports-earbuds-hands-on/

The driver unit spec, as far as I know, is identical.

On the other hand, don't think it is a good idea to wear NC headphones when riding a bike, isn't that sort of dangerous?

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #333 of 502
You might want to hold off on these and try out the water resistant "sports" version:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/sony-wf-sp700n-true-wireless-sports-earbuds-hands-on/

The driver unit spec, as far as I know, is identical.

On the other hand, don't think it is a good idea to wear NC headphones when riding a bike, isn't that sort of dangerous?
very interesting! The ambient modem would also make that model safer riding a bike...

Wonder if this model might fix some of the initial WF1000X connectivity issues?

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #334 of 502
Have just purchased a pair of these but like so many have said the audio lag when watching a video is appalling and makes the video unwatchable. I have downloaded the VLC player app and have tried to use the audio delay/forward function on the player to sync the audio to the video but had no luck no matter what I have it set on. Does anybody know if it is possible to sync audio to video using the audio delay function on the app and if so how. Incidentally have just received a pair of Sol Republics ear buds and have found that the audio/video is just about perfectly in sync.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #336 of 502
Thank's for that information.

I understood that VLC had the same functions but I cannot get it to sync no matter how I decrease or increase the delay so I will give MX player a try. I presume it is a default delay. Have you any idea what size the delay is so I can set it correctly?

I am using a Himedia Q10 for video playback can I switch hardware transcoding off on the Q10 do you know.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #337 of 502
I purchased one of these 3 days ago, mostly to use them for a series of long TGV (high speed french train) journeys and i'm pretty happy with them. I'm aware they are a bit like "first of the kind" and far from being perfect. I experience the right earpiece dropouts and cuts sometimes, but it never really bothers me, cuts are less than a second and don't happen often. It's possible to get rid of the cuts by switching to stability over audio quality but i'll never do that : )
i use them with an A&K Kann most of the time and few times with an iPhone 7.
Sound quality is really impressive for such a device, even if you should skip them if you are too sensitive to metallic highs which can be bothering on certain songs, but the bass and mids are very clean and overall the sound quality satisfies me for train/ commuting usage. noise reduction has almost no effect but to induce some hiss and i always keep it off. Passive isolation is effective enough. Wearing them is trouble free, getting a good seal was easy using the foam tips (i had good results as well with some Symbio W tips) and they fit securely in my ears. I tried running (after a train about to leave) and they didn't move a bit. I even tend to forget i'm wearing them.

Well done Sony, i'm confident the future of such wirefree devices is going in the right direction, just at the gates of the audiophile world for now, but it's only a matter of a few years before we get true audiophile wireless sound (something which was achieved by Audio Technica with the ATH-DSR9BT which i own as well and really impresses me by it's superb sound quality using aptxHD).

Now i want WF-1000X mk2 with APTX HD or even APTX !! (or whatever BT 5.0 promised wonders)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #340 of 502
I bought them, here in Europe they have come down in price and I got them for 145 eur
Installing the 1.0.7 update at this time
SoundSquare, what impressions do you have connecting them to the Kann?
I have an AK 300 and I am sure that I will try them with him and I will see how they behave
Before updating, I made a quick listen with my Iphone and they are fine (through Kaisernote with Apple Lossless files)
Obviously if I compare with my Shure SE535 or my Rosie, they leave something to be desired ... but who can think of comparing them?
I strongly recommend to all those who use Iphone buy in the AppStore and install Kaisernote in their devices, it is an impressive improvement in the reproduction of music for a ridiculous price

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #341 of 502
Currently I have the Bose SoundSport Free for review, and while they don't sound as food as the Sony's, they are much better in terms of usability and connection quality. Except for with Windows 10, they don't seem to work at all there. But otherwise, being able to switch between devices easily, have volume buttons and play pause fast forward and rewind, ... lots of good things. And if you move while listening these are really good, there's none of that in ear rumble. Also, sound may not be as good, but it still is good. I suggest trying them out if you are having too many issues with the Sony's.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #342 of 502
Currently I have the Bose SoundSport Free for review, and while they don't sound as food as the Sony's, they are much better in terms of usability and connection quality. Except for with Windows 10, they don't seem to work at all there. But otherwise, being able to switch between devices easily, have volume buttons and play pause fast forward and rewind, ... lots of good things. And if you move while listening these are really good, there's none of that in ear rumble. Also, sound may not be as good, but it still is good. I suggest trying them out if you are having too many issues with the Sony's.

I have A/B’ed both the Bose SoundSport free and the Sony WF1000X and to my ears the Bose sounds better, not by much though.
Bose has an open back design so if you need them in noisy environment they don’t do well at all.
Bose also has a few cutouts here and there.
My main driver nowadays is the Jabra Elite Sport V2 which to me is almost the complete package as a commuter, business and sport wireless IEMs. Their features work very well.

Sound quality wise the PSB Speakers TW1 are awesome - from the folks who have been doing audio for decades.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #344 of 502
Do you know if there is a dac/amplifier portable to connect it to your iphone and pairing the headphones to the dac / ampli to get better quality and sound power?
I'm thinking of something similar to the Arcam miniBlink (I think that with the Arcam it is not possible) http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/rseries/miniblink.htm
If you're really concerned about sound quality, you're better off getting a decent pair of wired earphones. No external DAC is going to help improve the sound quality of the Sonys. They have their own internal DAC. That being said, though, I think they sound pretty decent for tiny wireless in ears.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #345 of 502
What is latest firmware for the Sony wf1000x? Did they fix the disconnect issues, I have them now listening to them stationary in my house no problems, when does the disconnect happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back