Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #181 of 502
The sonys wf 1000x sound really good, even though they don't get as loud as the jam ultras and original Samsung iconx. lots of texture separation from the top to bottom frequencies which I like.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #182 of 502
They sound better now that they have burned in some, at first they did not sound very good but after breaking in they sound better and louder. I have experienced the right ear bud losing connection about 3 times today while I was outside walking to car, not good... I also noticed when it losing connection it takes solid second to reconnect, too long! Other headsets I have tried reconnect much quicker. If this continues I will be returning them even though the sony's sound very nice I just can't deal with that issue.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #184 of 502
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.

I’ve been walking all over Tokyo for the last couple of weeks in some of the most RF saturated places on the planet. Have had zero problems with drop off’s or any other misbehavior with the exception of one specific audio track with a flaky VBR encode. Running an iPhone 7+, generally in the left front pocket.

The performance of the situational adaptive settings for NR have been particularly impressive. The system can tell when I get on the train, when I’m walking, or when I arrive at my hotel room, with appropriate and automatic settings for each situation. Really impressive.

Battery life has also been as advertised.

I have no complaints at all. I even got a great fit right out of the box with the silicone medium buds that come preinstalled.

I have the same experience. Except that I experienced terrible signal strength at a very specific location: a local track with more than 200+ people jogging around. Never experienced any drop-offs or issues anywhere else, even in crowded gyms.

Although, they do have a lot of quirks that needs constant attention: you need to do things in a certain order to prevent right-ear to turn itself off...

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #185 of 502
Hi friends, just made an account here!

I just bought these and so far have been mostly impressed, especially with the SQ. But, I have a concern about the ANC; it doesn't seem to do much of anything. The ambient mode clearly works and augments outside noise (and i can tap over the microphone and get a response), but the NC mode just sounds the same as OFF. Traffic, train noise, voices, or even just rubbing my hands together doesn't seem to be attenuated beyond what's already happening passively. There is a very faint constant whoosh/static in the background when ANC is on. I haven't owned a pair of ANC headphones so I'm not sure if this is a problem with my pair or I just had poor expectations for how much of an effext AND would have. Anyone else having this? Thanks!!!

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #187 of 502
I’m beginning to think that some of those having issues with these are doing something wrong. It’s unlikely that I have the only trouble free pair out there, and yet, still no problems. At all.

You know, I think I did read somewhere that Sony designed this model specifically so that one smug guy on the internet was the only one who could use them properly. We're all thrilled you're happy with yours, but clearly a lot of people are having issues and looking for help, not you telling us how great you are for figuring out the ancient wisdom of headphone mojo.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #188 of 502
Hi friends, just made an account here!

I just bought these and so far have been mostly impressed, especially with the SQ. But, I have a concern about the ANC; it doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I'm still experimenting with the different eartips, but yeah, I'm not at all impressed with the ANC either. I find that it doesn't really do much for me. The faint white noise in Sony's ANC implementation is normal and is present even in their over-ear ANC headphones. The Bose in-ear QC30 does a somewhat better job at noise cancellation than these, but I still don't think either the Sony or Bose in-ear ANC is anywhere close to their over-ear counterparts like the QC35 or the MDR1000x/WH-1000XM2, which do a pretty good job at ANC. I'm almost wondering why they even bothered including ANC in these. For in-ear isolation, you're much better off with passive isolation using Etys with the triple flange tips or the longer comply P-series foam tips. But of course, no wireless and no cool high-tech features with the Etys.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #189 of 502
I’m beginning to think that some of those having issues with these are doing something wrong. It’s unlikely that I have the only trouble free pair out there, and yet, still no problems. At all.

Bluetooth as a technology generally stinks in its design. And then you can add in the fact that lots of people are using Android devices, which each have their own bluetooth stack (bluetooth chipset+bluetooth driver version+Android OS version supporting different BT codecs) specific to the manufacturer and phone. This is a recipe for all kinds of problems due to variability in the implementation of the bluetooth stacks and the poor design of the bluetooth protocols as far as robustness goes. This is why Apple implemented their own stuff on top of bluetooth using their W1 chip even though they have full control of the bluetooth stack on both ends of their iDevices.

Even though I'm using Android, I have been lucky and not had any connectivity issues because I am using a Google Nexus device which is supposed to be a reference implementation for the Android ecosystem and gets software updates directly from Google. It's running a beta of the latest Android Oreo 8.1, which likely has a reference implementation of the bluetooth stack with the widest BT codec support and works like it's supposed to. But if you're on a non-reference Android device, all bets are off. You may or may not run into bluetooth issues.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #190 of 502
The ANC absolutely makes a difference over not having it. Its not as good as the over ear phones, but for years I tried to be satisfied with etymotics and triple flanged tips on planes. Once the engines start going, bass is forever lost and it doesn't matter how good the seal is. With these I can hear the bass and the depths of the image (reverb, quietly mixed elements) with engines roaring, its definitely a difference. The high end elements are not cancelled as effectively maybe, but the low end is blocked out much much better.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #191 of 502
Bluetooth as a technology generally stinks in its design. And then you can add in the fact that lots of people are using Android devices, which each have their own bluetooth stack (bluetooth chipset+bluetooth driver version+Android OS version supporting different BT codecs) specific to the manufacturer and phone.

Given the AAC implementation and lack of AptX support in these earphones, my (totally speculative) hunch is that they were more thoroughly tested with iOS devices than Android. Very early impressions with my iPhone X is positive in the connection stability department.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #192 of 502
Make sure your using ear tips that really seal your ear. it make a huge difference in sound quality and anc, the tips that came in the box did not work for me, I had use others I had. I have to say pretty good job Sony!

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #193 of 502
The ANC absolutely makes a difference over not having it. Its not as good as the over ear phones, but for years I tried to be satisfied with etymotics and triple flanged tips on planes. Once the engines start going, bass is forever lost and it doesn't matter how good the seal is. With these I can hear the bass and the depths of the image (reverb, quietly mixed elements) with engines roaring, its definitely a difference. The high end elements are not cancelled as effectively maybe, but the low end is blocked out much much better.
Yes, this is what Sony themselves say in the Help Guide, "The noise canceling function works for noise in the low frequency band primarily. Although noise is reduced, it is not canceled completely."

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #195 of 502
Given the AAC implementation and lack of AptX support in these earphones, my (totally speculative) hunch is that they were more thoroughly tested with iOS devices than Android. Very early impressions with my iPhone X is positive in the connection stability department.
My experience with these earphones with Android is that the BT connection to the Android device is pretty solid - I've found myself listening in another room, forgetting I'd left my phone on the other side of a brick wall. The connection problem I've experienced is between the two earphones.

I'm on my second pair (after getting nowhere with Sony support, I contacted the Sony Centre distributor and they sent out a courier to swap them for a new pair the next day, at no charge). The new pair have had a few right earpiece dropouts too, but just occasional so far, not for lengthy periods. If they don't get any worse, I can happily live with them. I'm hoping the new BT stack and codecs that come with Android Oreo may give better results.

It's early days for this kind of technology, so I expect the odd hiccough, but manufacturers are going to have to conquer the interference problem because its only going to increase in future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back