Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #121 of 502
I could be wrong but I don't think Android phones support bluetooth AAC. Only SBC, or aptX. WF1000X does not support aptX.

I think you are indeed correct.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #122 of 502
I just completed 48 hrs using these and my experience is pretty good. Don't have any issue with audio on You Tube or Netflix. Noise cancellation works well in windy walks around town and on planes.

The only thing is a chime that occurs during calls that obstruct the conversation. I have not been able to figure which notification is triggering it

LowMids/Bass are good and matching other Sony DD units

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #124 of 502
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #125 of 502
Think I'm returning mine, the sound quality is good for what it is but I'm not happy with only having SBC, plus I'm also having drop out issue's mainly with the right earphone.

I might just have to bight the bullet and get the Wireless adapter for my XBA Z5 and keep them, my plan was to downgrade as I don't use them a lot but want to move to bluetooth for convenience.

Either that or I give the WI-1000x ago, I believe it supports APTX and HD

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #127 of 502
youtube way out of sync for me, I only use mine for music. For video you be better off with WI-1000X IMO

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #130 of 502
youtube way out of sync for me, I only use mine for music. For video you be better off with WI-1000X IMO

According to Apple, current BT IEMs that are not wired together pose a major challenge with latency. This is because BT is only wirelessly connected to one ear piece. After that, the connected earpiece has to wirelessly relay the other channel to the other earpiece. In order for right and left channels to stay in sync, there is some buffering required. This was the main reason why Apple created their our wireless technology that enables both ear pieces to simultaneously connect wirelessly to the source for low latency performance. The other reason was probably due to Apple not wanting to pay the Apt-X licenses.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #131 of 502
Got the dreaded right bud disconnections today. Was in a busy bluetooth area, but still, drove me pretty crazy.

Ended up going home, packing them up and returning....

However I still need headphones, so... glutten for punishment I splashed the extra cash on the WI-1000X. Was expecting them to be the same, but with a more reliable connection... was unsure about the neck band...

WELL let me tell you these are in a whole new level to the WF-1000X. Don't even notice the neckband, the ANC is off the scale - so much better, it now plays in high quaility rather than stuck on SBC, and all the issues of youtube syncing have been resolved.

I'll wait till the honey moon period is over before I give a full report, but swapping over directly from WF to WI has blown my mind!

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #132 of 502
How does the isolation on the WF-1000X compare to the QC35 or WH1000XM2 in something like a loud gym environment? I realize it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but just curious if I should give these a try.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #133 of 502
Got the dreaded right bud disconnections today. Was in a busy bluetooth area, but still, drove me pretty crazy.

Ended up going home, packing them up and returning....

However I still need headphones, so... glutten for punishment I splashed the extra cash on the WI-1000X. Was expecting them to be the same, but with a more reliable connection... was unsure about the neck band...

WELL let me tell you these are in a whole new level to the WF-1000X. Don't even notice the neckband, the ANC is off the scale - so much better, it now plays in high quaility rather than stuck on SBC, and all the issues of youtube syncing have been resolved.

I'll wait till the honey moon period is over before I give a full report, but swapping over directly from WF to WI has blown my mind!

You won't regret. I have WI-1000x for a few weeks and it is awesome. The sound quality is superb. The sound stage is wide and the connection is great! At first I feel like it is kind of awkward due to the hard plastic around my neck. However, after a few minutes, it is not as bad as what I thought. There is a soft padding around the neck so it is very comfortable. I tried to wear it at sleep and it works except it has to be connected to Bluetooth or it shuts off after 5 minutes. I do not understand the logic of Sony in this regard. I don't know what their engineers were thinking.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #134 of 502
I have been interested in WF-1000x since I saw its their prototype pics from CES. But the release was too long and I bought the Airpod instead. I am not that serious listener (although I still use Mojo paired with stax srm-002 for in home use), And the Airpod is really enjoyable due to its superb connectivity with really fast pairing. The sound wise is not the problem for me since I am not concentrate in this regard much as I listen outdoor.

Now I have been using the Airpod for almost a year and want to have some upgrade. The noise cancelling is what I think a major upgrade and is a must for now. The sound quality should also be better. So should I buy WF-1000X or not? I have done some search here and in jap sites and saw many negative reviews and connectivity problems. Or it is more wise to buy the WI-1000X wgich are far better in all issues except the comfortability. I have never experienced in neck band type earphones before.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #135 of 502
Used them quite a bit over the last week, I have not encounter any audio dropouts or clicking sounds. The default iOS video player and Netflix(both streamed and saved videos) are the only apps I have that can play video without any audio lag; YouTube, Facebook and even the message keyboard click sound lags with the WF-1000x. I don't really watch videos during the commute so this doesn't really affect me much. The ANC does produce a slight hissing sound, but I don't think it is really noticeable - I didn't even realise it was there until I read another forum user mentioning this. I tried playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons on them and I don't hear the hissing once music starts, you really only notice it when nothing is playing, even then I think it is really a mild hiss.

Also, I previously mentioned that the ANC is as good as the QC35 but I don't think that is really the case now. I have an exceptionally noisy fan in a guest room so I turned them on the other night and with the QC35 the fan noise were mostly gone but I can still hear them with the WF-1000x(both with no music playing). If the QC35 were able to cut off say about 80-90% of the fan noise, then I'd say the WF-1000x were only able to cut off around 60% of the noise. They are fine for general commute though; the ANC is still effective enough to cut down the droning of bus/train making it relatively quiet and enjoyable listening experience. I also ran after a bus some days back and the earbuds stay in my ears without breaking seal, so I would say they will stay on your ear very securely with the right tips.

Sound quality is good, not IE800 or even IE80 good but still good enough for travels IMO, I’d leave my “serious listening” at home with my HD800S. My only issue with them is that I feel that separation and/or soundstage could have been a little bit better; music tend to get a little cluttered whenever a complex passage is playing. You can probably get better sounding IEM for less money, but the freedom of wireless earphones make it such that I don’t want deal with cables anymore(at least on the go) - I have had enough of earphones being yanked off my ears or cables being stuck to another commuter’s bag or pole when I am moving about.

Overall, I think it is a solid first effort from Sony, obviously still plenty of areas for Sony to improve with quite a number of users having problem with connectivity. The small package with solid sound quality makes it a perfect companion for commuters, just a crying shame it isn’t working for everyone. I will be keeping mine for the foreseeable future, unless the BeoPlay B8 manages to impress me more, heh…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back