Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #92 of 502
Ended up going the Beoplay E8 way and received them yesterday. They have perfect video/sound sync from YouTube, NetFlix and iTunes movies. They also have a random drop out issue, in this case with the left unit, though drop out is allmost too strong a word. The best way to describe it is like the link just blinks the eye, sound is back almost before it is gone.

After a reboot of my iPhone and iPad the drop out seems to have vanished. Have now played for 3 hours with no drop outs

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #93 of 502
Ended up going the Beoplay E8 way and received them yesterday. They have perfect video/sound sync from YouTube, NetFlix and iTunes movies. They also have a random drop out issue, in this case with the left unit, though drop out is allmost too strong a word. The best way to describe it is like the link just blinks the eye, sound is back almost before it is gone.
Is there ANC on the E8? I went through the product page and found some reference to "transparent mode", I am guessing that is what they call ANC?

If so, how well does it work? I used to own the BeoPlay H9 and the ANC on it was almost non-existent, if these are better I might be tempted to have a look when they are available here.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #94 of 502
Is there ANC on the E8? I went through the product page and found some reference to "transparent mode", I am guessing that is what they call ANC?

If so, how well does it work? I used to own the BeoPlay H9 and the ANC on it was almost non-existent, if these are better I might be tempted to have a look when they are available here.

No there is no ANC on the E8 which is probably why they get 1 hour more playtime than the Sony. Transparent mode is ambient sound pass through to let you hear what goes on around you

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #95 of 502
No there is no ANC on the E8 which is probably why they get 1 hour more playtime than the Sony. Transparent mode is ambient sound pass through to let you hear what goes on around you
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. But I supposed with the earbuds sitting deeper in the ear, it will probably do a good job blocking out most of the noise anyway.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #96 of 502
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. But I supposed with the earbuds sitting deeper in the ear, it will probably do a good job blocking out most of the noise anyway.

The passive isolation is OK but not as good as my qJays

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #97 of 502
Actually they block more sound than I'd like, cause I need to know what's going on around me in my office. And while the ambient sound feature is nice, it could do with some adjustments. My office is relatively quiet, so I'd like some volume boost feature.

On public transport (haven't tried flights) the isolation is good enough for me.

What I really like is how easy they are to insert. Just push it into the ear, and it has a seal. The sound is also always the same. I've had much more problematic IEMs.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #100 of 502
I've not been able to increase the volume when connected to the laptop, all the bars are 100% but still not loud
How about other devices? Did you get a pre-production unit meant for reviews (i.e. not for sale, serial number below, say, 100, and in silver?), or did you buy a retail unit? If the latter, I'd complain to Sony. There are a couple of bugs with the headsets, but later units seem to work better...? Make sure you have gone through all volume settings (like when you go to the sound settings themselves, where you can select which audio device you want to use, I believe there are volume settings there too).

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #101 of 502
How about other devices? Did you get a pre-production unit meant for reviews (i.e. not for sale, serial number below, say, 100, and in silver?), or did you buy a retail unit? If the latter, I'd complain to Sony. There are a couple of bugs with the headsets, but later units seem to work better...? Make sure you have gone through all volume settings (like when you go to the sound settings themselves, where you can select which audio device you want to use, I believe there are volume settings there too).
its a retail unit, luckily I found out a solution, when I connect the headphones to my android, I must put the bluetooth volume at the highest, then I power off the headphones, then power on to connect to my laptop and I get the full volume!, very strange thing, I don't know why Sony did that, I'd be in trouble if I had forgotten to increase the volume and not having the phone with me, I wouldn't be able to hear anything on my laptop.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #102 of 502
also, these have a hissing sound, its clearly audible and annoying in quiet environments and especially listening to classical music, obviously this hiss is not audible when listening to rock and dance music, I didn't expect Sony to have this hissing sound, oh well!, I'll check out the new Bose.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #104 of 502
I realized that when making phone calls, only left ear has sound, is this by design or mine is faulty?

I think that is by design. Don’t know why though

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #105 of 502
its a retail unit, luckily I found out a solution, when I connect the headphones to my android, I must put the bluetooth volume at the highest, then I power off the headphones, then power on to connect to my laptop and I get the full volume!, very strange thing, I don't know why Sony did that, I'd be in trouble if I had forgotten to increase the volume and not having the phone with me, I wouldn't be able to hear anything on my laptop.
That's odd. Sounds like a bug. I hope to hear from Sony soon. Maybe I can replicate the solution... I might not be getting the absolutely highest volume possible, will try tomorrow.

also, these have a hissing sound, its clearly audible and annoying in quiet environments and especially listening to classical music, obviously this hiss is not audible when listening to rock and dance music, I didn't expect Sony to have this hissing sound, oh well!, I'll check out the new Bose.
The hissing sound sounds familiar... it happens when the noise cancelling is on. I believe that's noise being picked up by the mic, and then shifted to cancel out the noise. Just that you can't hear the noise through the seal, so you hear something that doesn't exist cancelled out. Try rubbing on the outside of the earphones just where the microphone is with the different ANC modes (off, on and ambient sound). You'll hear big differences.

I'd recommend using ANC only when necessary, as it may introduce issues you wouldn't get otherwise.

I'm having another issue right now. Sitting at home, watching IPTV on my tablet, and the right channel is having massive issues (I'm about 60 cm from the tablet?). Mostly I don't hear the right channel, instead every second I get a ticking sound. Now that I've turned it off, and reconnected the right channel it's working better. But it's obvious that the product isn't ready for prime time. And now it drops again. Yikes. The ticking sound is pretty annoying. Happens in a certain spot, must be interferences, but there's not much on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back