Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #61 of 502
I posted above regarding this. On my iPhone 7 Plus, it gets plenty loud around 1/3 of the volume bar. I cannot imagine going over even 1/2 of the maximum.
Care to share the silver number at the bottom of the charging case? As in roughly... what sort of ballpark? Also, is it possible for you to try an Android phone or another Bluetooth source? As I've mentioned they sound plenty loud on an iPhone, but rather quiet on anything else I tried.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #62 of 502
Care to share the silver number at the bottom of the charging case? As in roughly... what sort of ballpark? Also, is it possible for you to try an Android phone or another Bluetooth source? As I've mentioned they sound plenty loud on an iPhone, but rather quiet on anything else I tried.

The serial number is 5047871. It's in black thou instead of silver. I bought the gold color WF1000X for what it's worth. I have just tried it on my secondary phone, a Xiaomi Redmi 4A, and it's almost as loud as my iPhone 7 Plus at around 1/2 of the max as well. At max it's crazy loud. Same goes for my Macbook.

Could it be that I am getting a newer version updated by Sony? I am located in Singapore btw, and my WF1000X is made in Malaysia.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #63 of 502
I think you have a production WF1000X, while I have a pre-production one that was sent out to reviewers. There's plenty of not for sale written everywhere, the serial number is written under the recycling and CE logo. I'll try to get some info from my contact through whom I have received these.

Mine are made in Malaysia as well.

I've also had some pretty serious connection issues. It doesn't always turn itself on coming out of the box, I sometimes have to turn it off, on again and then I need to turn on the right channel manually. The right ear may drop connection at times. And so on.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #64 of 502
Lots of people have reported this right-ear problem, both in official reviews, and on Amazon reviews, etc. It's amazing that they can push a product to market when there's such clear fundamentally problematic connection issues.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #65 of 502
I must say I have not experienced connection issues at all. Occasionally for 1-2 seconds there's a small glitch but that happens even with Apple Airpods which has possibly the best true wireless implementation.

I'm starting to think that a lot of people have received pre-production samples like kadajawi. Sony shouldn't have let that happen.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #66 of 502
I must say I have not experienced connection issues at all. Occasionally for 1-2 seconds there's a small glitch but that happens even with Apple Airpods which has possibly the best true wireless implementation.

I'm starting to think that a lot of people have received pre-production samples like kadajawi. Sony shouldn't have let that happen.
I’ve had two pairs. One from an early batch (manufactured August) and another from Amazon’s second batch (manufactured in September). Both had the same problem. It’s interesting to note that Amazon UK are out of stock and they don’t know when or if they’ll be back in stock.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #67 of 502
How can one find the production date for the WF-1000X? I have silver serial number, and I'm curious to know how old it is (as far as production is concerned).

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #68 of 502
Did you try to adjust the volume on the Sony app? /r/Expat123456 on reddit said this:
/r/Expat123456 said:
Just learned realized that the headset does not follow the default Volume bars of the Android device. The headset can go louder by controlling volume via the Sony Music Center app.
https://imgur.com/a/OmShF
So keep the Android volume bar at max and control with the app.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #69 of 502
Hello guys,

I just got my pair, and I have been trying to make them work for like 1 hour, simply trying EVERYTHING.
The problem is, the left earbud does not turn on. I have tried holding the power button down for 7 sec. Charging the headphones multiple times, lifting them up from the case etc.
Nothing works.

I can make the right earbud blink thats it.
I have tried putting the case up to my note 8 by NFC - it is able to find it and when im trying to connect it says fail.

Is there anything I have missed? I did read the intruction manual, but i simply cannot turn on the left earbud for some reason.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #70 of 502
Hello guys,

I just got my pair, and I have been trying to make them work for like 1 hour, simply trying EVERYTHING.
The problem is, the left earbud does not turn on. I have tried holding the power button down for 7 sec. Charging the headphones multiple times, lifting them up from the case etc.
Nothing works.

I have tried putting the case up to my note 8 by NFC - it is able to find it and when im trying to connect it says fail.

Is there anything I have missed? I did read the intruction manual, but i simply cannot turn on the left earbud for some reason.

I'm afraid you will have to send it back. It should just turn on after pressing the button for 7 seconds, like the manual says.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #71 of 502
The serial number is 5047871. It's in black thou instead of silver. I bought the gold color WF1000X for what it's worth. I have just tried it on my secondary phone, a Xiaomi Redmi 4A, and it's almost as loud as my iPhone 7 Plus at around 1/2 of the max as well. At max it's crazy loud. Same goes for my Macbook.

Could it be that I am getting a newer version updated by Sony? I am located in Singapore btw, and my WF1000X is made in Malaysia.

Hi ,

Care to share u use what format song play from your iphone ? eg like ALAC or AAC ?

Thanks
Nobody

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #73 of 502
Make sure you insert the earphones firmly in the case. Not just pose them but gently push the outer part so that they click in. There's a latch that needs to give in and fix the earphone. You can't miss it. Charge them for a couple of hours.

I had a similar issue :wink:

Hello guys,

Nothing works.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #74 of 502
Did you try to adjust the volume on the Sony app? /r/Expat123456 on reddit said this:
I can't find the option in that app... :-/

I did connect it to my Mac mini at work, and there I get the full volume that seems possible. However that computer can only stream in SBC quality, so basically I can have bad sound quality, but loud, or good sound quality but quiet. Hm. Will try a newer MacBook Pro tomorrow... but it's odd how the earphones seem to work better with Apple products.... Forcing SBC on my Android didn't help the volume, though sound quality did noticeably suffer.

First observation with higher volumes is that the sound is more present... more... direct (at lower volumes it just sounds like the musician is at some distance... it lacks urgency). However the highs get... harsh and aggressive... more prominent at higher volume. It's not too pleasant, and doesn't sound as balanced as it does at low volumes (there's a sweet spot where you get good sound and the necessary aggression and punch).

I have sent an email to my contact's contact at Sony, we'll see how they will respond.

@andersj1992: Does the left earplug show any lights, for example when charging? It has to click in, the same way the right earplug clicks in. To turn it on I hold the button pressed until it starts blinking. That's the point where you should stop pressing the button.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #75 of 502
I can't find the option in that app... :-/

I did connect it to my Mac mini at work, and there I get the full volume that seems possible. However that computer can only stream in SBC quality, so basically I can have bad sound quality, but loud, or good sound quality but quiet. Hm. Will try a newer MacBook Pro tomorrow... but it's odd how the earphones seem to work better with Apple products.... Forcing SBC on my Android didn't help the volume, though sound quality did noticeably suffer.

First observation with higher volumes is that the sound is more present... more... direct (at lower volumes it just sounds like the musician is at some distance... it lacks urgency). However the highs get... harsh and aggressive... more prominent at higher volume. It's not too pleasant, and doesn't sound as balanced as it does at low volumes (there's a sweet spot where you get good sound and the necessary aggression and punch).

I have sent an email to my contact's contact at Sony, we'll see how they will respond.

@andersj1992: Does the left earplug show any lights, for example when charging? It has to click in, the same way the right earplug clicks in. To turn it on I hold the button pressed until it starts blinking. That's the point where you should stop pressing the button.

Not sure about the Mac Mini but on Macbook you will need to enable AAC streaming using the Bluetooth Explorer software provided by Apple's Xcode Tools. Only the latest version (4.4) has the option. I have no idea why Apple by default only streams either SBC and aptX. WF1000X doesn't support aptX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back