Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 502
I am aware of that feature, and no, the Sony's don't have this. Maybe with an update, who knows :p

But switching isn't too much of a hassle either, that's all I was aiming at :)

Cheers!

If you get a chance, could you do a more in dept review of how effective the ANC is? If you've tried other ANC headphones, how do these earbuds compare (seal + ANC)? Thanks!

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #32 of 502
_DSC7611.jpg

Went to a media event in China. Here are some pictures. Sadly no impressions since the interference was way too much and can't get a normal connection. The WF-1000X was constantly buzzing. The Sony employee at the event said the final production version will have much better Bluetooth connection quality.

They do look gorgeous though. Absolutely the best looking full wireless earphone besides the Airpods.

_DSC7623.jpg

_DSC7664.jpg

_DSC7629.jpg

_DSC7667.jpg

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #33 of 502

Went to a media event in China. Here are some pictures. Sadly no impressions since the interference was way too much and can't get a normal connection. The WF-1000X was constantly buzzing. The Sony employee at the event said the final production version will have much better Bluetooth connection quality.

They do look gorgeous though. Absolutely the best looking full wireless earphone besides the Airpods.

When was this media event? I'm curious to learn whether I got some sort of a pre-production or pre-release model since they're apparently not released yet?

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #34 of 502
Here in the Netherlands, they are available again from 2 main retailers (next day delivery). Amazon still states release on 14th of Oct.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #35 of 502
A personal sidenote: Since the other models in the series seem to have Apt-X streaming aboard, it wouldn't surprise me if they delayed these to add support for Apt-X (remember that Sony's own phones/players don't even support AAC BT streaming). On the other hand, perhaps the lack of Apt-X was done just to save costs.

I have ordered these as well, I thought they have LDAC since it says so on Sony's official swedish webpage: https://www.sony.se/electronics/horlurar/t/akta-tradlosa-oronsnackor
So hopefully that will be added with the new FW-update/revision.

My WF-1000X should be shipped next week, but I see they have changed that to around two weeks now, so it seems like they have been delayed here as well. I also bought them for around 260$, the MSRP should be 335$ here in Sweden..

- As far as the blinking lights are concerned: I actually need to check that, as I never see myself wearing them. I will try to get back on this! If I forget, just ask me again :p

Any update of this? :)

Also, thanks for the review and the discussion, I'm really hyped about these IEM's!

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #36 of 502
When was this media event? I'm curious to learn whether I got some sort of a pre-production or pre-release model since they're apparently not released yet?

Last Sunday. They're set to release in October. I've preordered mine and they'll be shipping on Oct. 13th.

I have ordered these as well, I thought they have LDAC since it says so on Sony's official swedish webpage: https://www.sony.se/electronics/horlurar/t/akta-tradlosa-oronsnackor

It doesn't have LDAC and we should hope for the best. Depending on how powerful the processing unit in the IEMs are, Sony might be able to fit LDAC into it, maybe at the cost of some battery life. Apple was able to achieve state-of-the-art wireless connectivity and efficiency by designing their own chip. Maybe Sony will do their custom chip in the next gen... like they did in the WM1 series.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #37 of 502
Sure!

1: I have no clue. At the moment, I can't find such an option. However, since the case has a USB connection and BT is too unreliable for FW upgrades, I guess they would do this over USB. I'm wondering about this too, since it seems they've delayed the release which might mean a newer FW will ship on release day. Obviously I would want to upgrade mine.

2: This is a hard one to answer, since ears are different person to person. However, mine don't fall out. It's strange and illogical, because you actually expect them to fall out by the way they sit. But they just don't. I've moved my head in every direction, shaking it and everything, but they stayed in place perfectly. Didn't even loose the seal! I don't know how they did it (I suspect the little 'wing' which sits in your ear) but it works perfect for moving about, and walking around (even with a fast pace).

3: To answer this question, I've set them up to use SBC on my MacBook. The sound lacks punch, dynamics and detail. It's perfectly listenable though, but when switching back to AAC streaming the difference is immediately noticeable. So to answer your question: yes, the loss in quality is evident. But this is due to the very nature of SBC vs. AAC. However, for day to day use you still get the same benefits as far as SQ is concerned. It's just that they're even better with AAC.

A personal sidenote: Since the other models in the series seem to have Apt-X streaming aboard, it wouldn't surprise me if they delayed these to add support for Apt-X (remember that Sony's own phones/players don't even support AAC BT streaming). On the other hand, perhaps the lack of Apt-X was done just to save costs.

I hope I've answered your questions :)

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for sharing these! Fingers crossed for firmware updates now. A lot can be added by adding updates to the app too. For e.g. finding the last location of the earbuds before you lose them, is something Bose has and is achievable purely from the app side. Same goes for better integration with Google Assistant/Siri.

So hopefully they don't abandon models after release and continue to add features via the app at least. Of course this does seem improbable going by their past track record though.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #38 of 502
I’m torn between these and the upcoming Beosound E8

E3A33E4B-A0FF-4607-949E-9504EA8CF8B1.jpeg

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #39 of 502

It's odd that the swedish product page mentions it. Must be a typo since they specs page of the same site makes no mention of it.
https://www.sony.se/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000x/specifications

I really hope it's not a typo though :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #41 of 502
They lack Noise Cancellation, but the touch controls are cool! Unfortunately, they're 50% more expensive too.

I don’t really need or want NC and at least on Amazon UK they are “only” 25% more expensive

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #43 of 502
Well, it turns out they're only available for pre-reservation at the Yodobashi store I visited in Osaka (Umeda). $239.00 USD equivalent, available October 7. I will be back in Japan October 25 so hopefully then, but if the quantities are limited, maybe not.

On the other hand I can have a set delivered from Amazon for under $200 USD on November 1.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #44 of 502
I have tried almost every other true wireless earbuds except AirPods. One thing I noticed is that none of them has stable connection. They will cut in and out once in a while. For those who maintains the connection have short battery life like one and half hours. I think it is still a premature technology except AirPods. In your review you said that it disconnects. Can you let us know how often is it?

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 502
Anyone knows if those blinking lights are only blinking during pairing? or all the time? I hope it's not all the time otherwise that will look really bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back