Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #1,051 of 1,079
It will always be a divisive topic cos of the price differential with the 1AM2. I'd give it a listen if you are able to. Many variable factors, including your IEMs. It was the same debate with respect to the OG 1Z/1A. So, it is important to see what makes sense for you. :)
Sorry to not be more clear but obviously I was referring to it's direct competition and those within a similar price point, not those that are much cheaper and not flagships.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,052 of 1,079
It will always be a divisive topic cos of the price differential with the 1AM2. I'd give it a listen if you are able to. Many variable factors, including your IEMs. It was the same debate with respect to the OG 1Z/1A. So, it is important to see what makes sense for you. :)
Not same, as the tuning was different between the two last time. I think board components varied a bit too.

This time it's only the supposed improvement a copper body gives over aluminium, and use of an internal Kimber cable to the headphone out and that's it apart from extra 128GB internal memory.

To my ears and IEM's there was negligeable if any noticeable difference other than cost placebo.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #1,053 of 1,079
Not same, as the tuning was different between the two last time. I think board components varied a bit too.

This time it's only the supposed improvement a copper body gives over aluminium, and use of an internal Kimber cable to the headphone out and that's it apart from extra 128GB internal memory.

To my ears and IEM's there was negligeable if any noticeable difference other than cost placebo.
It has a completely new internal power supply. I watched a YouTube video of the two main designers showing all the differences/improvements

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,054 of 1,079
It has a completely new internal power supply. I watched a YouTube video of the two main designers showing all the differences/improvements
Its new compared to V1, but V2 A&Z are same circuit board and PSU supposedly. Only copper case and Kimber cable the audio path differences.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,056 of 1,079
Is there anyone on hear using the NW-WM1ZM2 European version that is satisfied?
You could order the A or Z from Amazon UK, try and easily return if not happy. They had one of each in stock yesterday.

As I mentioned I had the EU/UK crippled Z and sent back the following day with complaint to Sony. Now have Japanese import A and no regrets buying and saving money by not going for the Z.

EU/UK could just drive my 3 IEM's at the time but lot of money for a crippled device with no headroom and need over 100/120 for one of my easy to drive IEM's.

Z still in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NW-WM...AuMDAifQ==&sprefix=sony+WM1ZM2+,aps,83&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #1,057 of 1,079
As it's now a few years since Sony made the first version, I am guessing it will be the same before they make its successor.
Many of the other manufacturers seem to have a new model out every couple of years. Is the Sony NW-WM1ZM2 suited to take many updates over the next few years to keep up with the competition when they potentially have another flagship?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #1,058 of 1,079
As it's now a few years since Sony made the first version, I am guessing it will be the same before they make its successor.
Many of the other manufacturers seem to have a new model out every couple of years. Is the Sony NW-WM1ZM2 suited to take many updates over the next few years to keep up with the competition when they potentially have another flagship?

Many thanks
Sony never update the OS other than security fixes. It will never go from Android 11 IMO but it's a reasonably new OS that should have at least 6 good years support for Apps (streaming) and of course work as a standard (own file) music player until battery dies.

It's a positive for me that Sony seem to have a longer life cycle of 3-4 years, so you don't think your out of date too soon after your expensive purchase and tempted to 'update' each year.

I'm not aware of any other Android DAP that has the OS update though either once released.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,059 of 1,079
Sony never update the OS other than security fixes. It will never go from Android 11 IMO but it's a reasonably new OS that should have at least 6 good years support for Apps (streaming) and of course work as a standard (own file) music player until battery dies.

It's a positive for me that Sony seem to have a longer life cycle of 3-4 years, so you don't think your out of date too soon after your expensive purchase and tempted to 'update' each year.

I'm not aware of any other Android DAP that has the OS update though either once released.
Android 11 is supported until late 2023

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,062 of 1,079
Where did your get your import? Doesn't look like Amazon Japan will ship to the UK.
You can get one from e-earphone and ship through tenso etc. Just keep in mind duty on top of value and shipping.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,063 of 1,079
Where did your get your import? Doesn't look like Amazon Japan will ship to the UK.
Amazon Japan. I think I found one that slipped through Sony's export block!

It was a reseller but fullfiled by Amazon and nearly £300 less than UK RRP inc. Duties/delivery etc. I class myself as very lucky!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back