Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 24, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #916 of 1,079
I don’t think it as clear cut as that. Amplifier topology, strength of power supply block, and parts used in the audio and PSU circuits dictate the sound of each amplifier. Will u be getting the new Walkman?
And that is my point.

The odds are against the DMP-Z1 there too because it uses smaller/weaker surface mount capacitors and only a few bigger leg capacitors while the TA-ZH1ES uses an complex mechanism of giant desktop amp capacitors with an Hybrid Amp design.

So in terms of pure power output but also in terms of power supply block, DAC/AMP design, choice of capacitors, the TA-ZH1ES should have the edge.

That people still prefer the DMP-Z1 is unrelated to numbers on papers but purely on taste. And for the same reason, people dislike the WM1Z. It doesn't lack power, its just not to the taste of the people who tried it with their favourite headphone/earphone.

And that is totally fine, the Sony Sound Signature is pretty unique and far from neutral. It is no surprise to me that people dislike it, the exact same way, people dislike the sound signature of the A&K SP2000 even though it does have more than double the power.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #917 of 1,079
There is only this:
Label.jpg
This is strange. Mine was like this
download_20220224_220130.jpg

How about your box, on the sticker with the barcode?

Attachments

• download_20220224_220130.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #918 of 1,079
This is strange. Mine was like this
How about your box, on the sticker with the barcode?
Nothing strange here, as already said by nc8000 players for different regions have different labels. My WM1A I bought from the UK and had no date on the label, just the Sony address. I bought the WM1Z from Malaysia and it has the date on it (it’s funny, that it’s the same date as my IER, which I bought from Romania one year earlier:)

Attachments

• 91182F93-79B5-4A82-B47C-ED0EAD963278.jpeg
    91182F93-79B5-4A82-B47C-ED0EAD963278.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #920 of 1,079
Hello.

I bought a new NW-WM1A a few weeks ago. I would like to know what is the date of manufacture of my Walkman.

Can I find this information from somewhere?
I asked the same question no long ago. Check out this post 6683 and subsequent posts for some pics of where to find the manufacturing data.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #921 of 1,079
And that is my point.

The odds are against the DMP-Z1 there too because it uses smaller/weaker surface mount capacitors and only a few bigger leg capacitors while the TA-ZH1ES uses an complex mechanism of giant desktop amp capacitors with an Hybrid Amp design.

So in terms of pure power output but also in terms of power supply block, DAC/AMP design, choice of capacitors, the TA-ZH1ES should have the edge.

That people still prefer the DMP-Z1 is unrelated to numbers on papers but purely on taste. And for the same reason, people dislike the WM1Z. It doesn't lack power, its just not to the taste of the people who tried it with their favourite headphone/earphone.

And that is totally fine, the Sony Sound Signature is pretty unique and far from neutral. It is no surprise to me that people dislike it, the exact same way, people dislike the sound signature of the A&K SP2000 even though it does have more than double the power.

After the introduction of NW-WM1 series, we just felt we need more amplification power to satisfy all the hi-end customers. While the D.A. hybrid amplifier built into the TA-ZH1ES headphone amplifier achieves a high output, producing a high-quality sound even from high-impedance headphones, it relies on a large (AC) mains power supply which often carries considerable noise as its drawback. On the other end, we have our flagship Walkman NW-WM1Z running on clean battery power, meaning the audio quality is very high. However, it is limited by its size and can’t ensure the large output required for high-impedance headphones.

The motivation behind creating the DMP-Z1 was to create a product that would allow our customers to easily get the full potential out of their headphones like the TA-ZH1ES and run on clean battery power with no external elements, like the NW-WM1Z.”

- Tomoaki SATO [TS], Walkman® Project Leader/Senior Electrical Engineer, Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.

In summary, he says that:
The TA-ZH1ES achieves high output and produces high quality sound.
The NW-WM1Z Walkman produces very high quality sound (due to its clean power) but achieves less high output than the TA-ZH1ES.
The DMP takes the best of each one and combines it in one package.

I appreciate you have your own opinions and I am fine with that.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #922 of 1,079
After the introduction of NW-WM1 series, we just felt we need more amplification power to satisfy all the hi-end customers. While the D.A. hybrid amplifier built into the TA-ZH1ES headphone amplifier achieves a high output, producing a high-quality sound even from high-impedance headphones, it relies on a large (AC) mains power supply which often carries considerable noise as its drawback. On the other end, we have our flagship Walkman NW-WM1Z running on clean battery power, meaning the audio quality is very high. However, it is limited by its size and can’t ensure the large output required for high-impedance headphones.

The motivation behind creating the DMP-Z1 was to create a product that would allow our customers to easily get the full potential out of their headphones like the TA-ZH1ES and run on clean battery power with no external elements, like the NW-WM1Z.”

- Tomoaki SATO [TS], Walkman® Project Leader/Senior Electrical Engineer, Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.

The NW-WM1Z Walkman produces very high quality sound (due to its clean power) but achieves less high output than the TA-ZH1ES.

So true.

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #924 of 1,079

First is all, your summary is your opinion, not what is said in the text. That is your interpretation of the text.

Second, why My opinion? Official statements from Sony.

In the interview for the TA-ZH1ES, SA-Z1 and the WM1ZM2 they say, that S-Master HX is the highest quality amplification that exists and higher then any analog amp.

In an interview about the DMP-Z1, the project leader says that they couldn't use the S-Master HX Hybrid AMP, because the batteries in the DMP-Z1. They would have used it if they could but the D.A. Hybrid amp needs an >100V power supply and the DMP-Z1 could not deliver that.

Because a lot of wall outlets in Japan produce unclean output, they were worried to demonstrate the TA-ZH1ES and had to carry power conditioners to any showcase.

That is when the idea for the DMP-Z1 grew the first time

So official statements from Sony:
- S-Master HX is better than analog
- S-Master HX can not output more than 250mW
- D.A. Hybrid Amp solves this issue
- DMP-Z1 can not use the D.A. Hybrid Amp
- Battery can be cleaner then an Wall Outlet (especially in countries where 110V is used instead of 220V)

I posted the links to these interviews several times.

Sony never said anywhere, to this day, that the analog amp in the DMP-Z1 is better then the S-Master HX. That is your opinion and interpretation from an cleverly written article that leaves out any direct answer to this question. The DMP-Z1 was not developed or designed to sound better and nowhere did Sony ever said this.

But Sony did say, several times, that the best technology they have is the D.A. Hybrid Amp and that they are very proud to be the only company to build that one and the SA-Z1 shows, that they are still developing it and consider it the best.

Sony said, D.A. Hybrid is the best
Sony never said the DMP-Z1 is the best

Everything else is opinion

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #926 of 1,079
Ah so I should move my TA-ZH1ES to a power conditioner.
I do because I have a dirty and sometimes unstable 90 year old power installation in my house but I won’t claim that I actually hear any difference so it’s just for peace of mind

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #927 of 1,079
First is all, your summary is your opinion, not what is said in the text. That is your interpretation of the text.

Second, why My opinion? Official statements from Sony.

In the interview for the TA-ZH1ES, SA-Z1 and the WM1ZM2 they say, that S-Master HX is the highest quality amplification that exists and higher then any analog amp.

In an interview about the DMP-Z1, the project leader says that they couldn't use the S-Master HX Hybrid AMP, because the batteries in the DMP-Z1. They would have used it if they could but the D.A. Hybrid amp needs an >100V power supply and the DMP-Z1 could not deliver that.

Because a lot of wall outlets in Japan produce unclean output, they were worried to demonstrate the TA-ZH1ES and had to carry power conditioners to any showcase.

That is when the idea for the DMP-Z1 grew the first time

So official statements from Sony:
- S-Master HX is better than analog
- S-Master HX can not output more than 250mW
- D.A. Hybrid Amp solves this issue
- DMP-Z1 can not use the D.A. Hybrid Amp
- Battery can be cleaner then an Wall Outlet (especially in countries where 110V is used instead of 220V)

I posted the links to these interviews several times.

Sony never said anywhere, to this day, that the analog amp in the DMP-Z1 is better then the S-Master HX. That is your opinion and interpretation from an cleverly written article that leaves out any direct answer to this question. The DMP-Z1 was not developed or designed to sound better and nowhere did Sony ever said this.

But Sony did say, several times, that the best technology they have is the D.A. Hybrid Amp and that they are very proud to be the only company to build that one and the SA-Z1 shows, that they are still developing it and consider it the best.

Sony said, D.A. Hybrid is the best
Sony never said the DMP-Z1 is the best

Everything else is opinion
I sure wish I *like* the TA-ZH1ES as much as the DMP-Z1 given its “superior technology”. Amplifier technology is one thing but sound tuning can perfect that technology. As a current owner of both units, I have come so close to selling the TA-ZH1ES many time but decide to just “collect” it instead. Never once I feel that the TA is better sounding than the DMP. Of course, to his each own. The beauty of Class D is its very efficient design….more output from the same footprint. I personally felt that the tuning on the TA-ZH1ES could have been better. It is overly soft, colored especially in the midrange and somewhat diffused despite very large soundstaging. I consider myself one of Sony biggest fanboy, and I don't think the S-Master HX (a fancy name for Class D amp circuit) is any better than a Class A discrete analog amplifier. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #928 of 1,079
In general if I were getting into the WM1A/Z before the M2 I would have looked at the DMP-Z1 as a serious consideration when you think of the cost of adding a TA-ZH1ES to a NW-WM1Z, it starts to get into the realm of best option (2 micro sd card slots, etc), but I dont really think like I have any use for a DMP-Z1 since I have a TA-ZH1ES and NW-WM1A and any perceived gains in sound quality I dont think are worth separating myself from almost 10 thousand bucks.

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #929 of 1,079
In general if I were getting into the WM1A/Z before the M2 I would have looked at the DMP-Z1 as a serious consideration when you think of the cost of adding a TA-ZH1ES to a NW-WM1Z, it starts to get into the realm of best option (2 micro sd card slots, etc), but I dont really think like I have any use for a DMP-Z1 since I have a TA-ZH1ES and NW-WM1A and any perceived gains in sound quality I dont think are worth separating myself from almost 10 thousand bucks.
Why not getting a used DMP? I don't think you will enjoy the TA-ZH1ES & WM1Z combination more than the DMP unless you need a highend portable DAP. The WM1Z just serve as a digital transport to the TA. You can get by with 1A or ZX300 and use it as a transport.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #930 of 1,079
Why not getting a used DMP? I don't think you will enjoy the TA-ZH1ES & WM1Z combination more than the DMP unless you need a highend portable DAP. The WM1Z just serve as a digital transport to the TA. You can get by with 1A or ZX300 and use it as a transport.
Yes I usd my 1Z exclusively as my travel rig while at home the TA is fed by an Auralic streamer. Have never heard the DMP it has not been available for demo nor sale in Denmark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back