Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 8, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #286 of 1,079
This is an UPDATE not an UPGRADE
Which can be construed as an upgrade if you really want streaming or were looking to buy new WM1A/Z in the first place
Or a side grade/ alternative product. I’m actually considering the new WM-1AM2 to try streaming while I hesitated to try the ZX507 before because of battery life. But I’ll wait for actual review first.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #287 of 1,079
Guessing bigger more to accomodate larger battery than anything else, but that's just a guess. Android is a battery hog, IME.
Larger capacity battery and there are many internal improvements. First of all, the power supply unit has reinforcement points such as newly developed high-capacity individual polymer capacitor, FTCAP3 6.3mm large passcon, wire-wound coil, oxygen-free copper cutting block, and OFC cable for battery power cable.

There are many examples of using custom capacitors in full-size components, but it's rare for portable machines to do this far.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #288 of 1,079
228 members/guests.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #289 of 1,079
To be honest, well, yeah, it's been quite disappointing to see the output power staying the same with the same S-Master amplifier from 6 years ago.
Especially after seeing the boost in power from 2 x 15mW on ZX2 to 2 x 250 mW in the WM series in one generation, it makes sense to expect an increase.

However, as well as some bottlenecks in design (concerning S-Master silicone), it might also be an indirect message from Sony such as "hey guys, you want more power? just buy our higher models!"

So it is plausable for people to see this as a "refresh", rather than real new products whose design started from scratch.

Yet, from another point of view, the use of the so-called "old" S-Master HX is probably not a negative.

In fact, it should be an omen for the superior design of the S-Master that Sato San and the Sony design team still are using it with their bestest, most premiumest Walkman's.

And considering the fact that implementation being more important than chip used, I believe we might expect a nice substantial increase in sound performance with better optimized internal design and better components being used.

So please,
Do not be hasty people, before giving a listen to the new kids in town in the following months.

They might give us some nice surprise.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #291 of 1,079

Screws mean easier serviceability, looks like battery easier replace too
Small upgrade but not the ways we expected (power)

Screws will make for easier modding too

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #292 of 1,079
MrWalkmans Firmware more power. Thus the new editions are actually a step down in power.
To be honest, well, yeah, it's been quite disappointing to see the output power staying the same with the same S-Master amplifier from 6 years ago.
Especially after seeing the boost in power from 2 x 15mW on ZX2 to 2 x 250 mW in the WM series in one generation, it makes sense to expect an increase.

However, as well as some bottlenecks in design (concerning S-Master silicone), it might also be an indirect message from Sony such as "hey guys, you want more power? just buy our higher models!"

So it is plausable for people to see this as a "refresh", rather than real new products whose design started from scratch.

Yet, from another point of view, the use of the so-called "old" S-Master HX is probably not a negative.

In fact, it should be an omen for the superior design of the S-Master that Sato San and the Sony design team still are using it with their bestest, most premiumest Walkman's.

And considering the fact that implementation being more important than chip used, I believe we might expect a nice substantial increase in sound performance with better optimized internal design and better components being used.

So please,
Do not be hasty people, before giving a listen to the new kids in town in the following months.

They might give us some nice surprise.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #293 of 1,079
As predicted before, there will be DAC mode available, so ZX507 running Walkman One may have this feature too! That is sweet.
507 is Android so can’t use WalkmanOne.

Well there is 0,03% chance I’ll buy any of these, well 0% actually

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #294 of 1,079

Screws mean easier serviceability, looks like battery easier replace too
Small upgrade but not the ways we expected (power)

I never expected them to increase the power because they don't have a new S-Master chip.
Unlike other DAP makers which relies on AKM/ESS where they have yearly refreshes on their DAC/amp chip line ups, Sony's entirely in-house S-Master takes a lot longer to improve, and the last couple of years of COVID makes the situation even worse.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #295 of 1,079
Exciting! It's great to see that Sony is still working to improve the WM1A and WM1Z series.

I'm a bit disappointed that it will be using Android. Does that mean there won't be custom firmware like MrWalkman's amazing firmware? If custom firmware is not possible, the important question for me is how will the WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 in stock firmware sound compared to the WM1A and WM1Z with MrWalkman's firmware? I'm looking forward those comparisons when these new devices get into people's hands.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #296 of 1,079
265 members/guests.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #297 of 1,079
265 members/guests.
I thought that you were counting the Youtube viewers silly me. 😹 Turned out it was viewer of this thread hahaha.
274 members/guests now

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #299 of 1,079
I thought that you were counting the Youtube viewers silly me. 😹 Turned out it was viewer of this thread hahaha.
274 members/guests now
Member count seems to be generating more interest than that premier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back