Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Mar 31, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #1,006 of 1,079
How can you leave out KORK tubes!!
Yepe! Dual Korg tubes, but it is realized already
F0EBDDB0-7A78-40E9-84AE-9F9DDBA157F0.jpeg

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #1,009 of 1,079
Does anyone one know why my wm1a 4.4 headphone connection only works with 1 of my cables?

The other 4.4 cables i have to play with them to get a connection. The 3.5 was doing the same but now it just plays at low distorted volume all the time.

All my cables work fine on other devices though.

I have no idea why this is. Really curious about this.
Please elaborate on that 1 cables working, is there any intermittent sound from other cables ? Wiggling it changing anything etc... ?

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,011 of 1,079
Other cables i have to wiggle on 4.4 and 3.5. But on 3.5 sound is low and distorted even with wiggle.

But one 4.4 cable works every time perfectly.
What brand cables?

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,016 of 1,079
After the introduction of NW-WM1 series, we just felt we need more amplification power to satisfy all the hi-end customers. While the D.A. hybrid amplifier built into the TA-ZH1ES headphone amplifier achieves a high output, producing a high-quality sound even from high-impedance headphones, it relies on a large (AC) mains power supply which often carries considerable noise as its drawback. On the other end, we have our flagship Walkman NW-WM1Z running on clean battery power, meaning the audio quality is very high. However, it is limited by its size and can’t ensure the large output required for high-impedance headphones.

The motivation behind creating the DMP-Z1 was to create a product that would allow our customers to easily get the full potential out of their headphones like the TA-ZH1ES and run on clean battery power with no external elements, like the NW-WM1Z.”

- Tomoaki SATO [TS], Walkman® Project Leader/Senior Electrical Engineer, Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.

In summary, he says that:
The TA-ZH1ES achieves high output and produces high quality sound.
The NW-WM1Z Walkman produces very high quality sound (due to its clean power) but achieves less high output than the TA-ZH1ES.
The DMP takes the best of each one and combines it in one package.

I appreciate you have your own opinions and I am fine with that.
So meaning if you have headphones with low impedance, then the WM1Z is more than perfect enough for that wonderful sound and getting the DMP is overkill? Not attacking. This is a genuine question as it certainly would put into perspective the headphones that we have if they are perfect with the sources we have now

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,017 of 1,079
So meaning if you have headphones with low impedance, then the WM1Z is more than perfect enough for that wonderful sound and getting the DMP is overkill? Not attacking. This is a genuine question as it certainly would put into perspective the headphones that we have if they are perfect with the sources we have now
According to the interview with PhileWeb, the reason the DMP-Z1 was developed was, because the TA-ZH1ES is not portable.

According to Sato, in Japan, a lot of power outlets (especially in office buildings) are not suited for the TA-ZH1ES and carrying an power conditioner together with the TA-ZH1ES was cumbersome as this device was not suited for transportation. Also there is always an player needed.

That is why he came up with the idea of an outlet independent portable TA-ZH1ES. So he was mostly scratching his own itch.

As the D.A. Hybrid AMP needs >100V, the FPGA S-Master HX was out of question and the normal one isn't capable of more than 250mW

So basically it's pretty simple

On the Go: Walkman
At Home: TA-ZH1ES
Travel: DMP-Z1

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #1,019 of 1,079
According to the interview with PhileWeb, the reason the DMP-Z1 was developed was, because the TA-ZH1ES is not portable.

According to Sato, in Japan, a lot of power outlets (especially in office buildings) are not suited for the TA-ZH1ES and carrying an power conditioner together with the TA-ZH1ES was cumbersome as this device was not suited for transportation. Also there is always an player needed.

That is why he came up with the idea of an outlet independent portable TA-ZH1ES. So he was mostly scratching his own itch.

As the D.A. Hybrid AMP needs >100V, the FPGA S-Master HX was out of question and the normal one isn't capable of more than 250mW

So basically it's pretty simple

On the Go: Walkman
At Home: TA-ZH1ES
Travel: DMP-Z1
My DMP-Z1 has never been out of the home since dau 1. For on the go and travel i take either a NW-A25 or NW-WM1A

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #1,020 of 1,079
So you keep safe at home TA-ZH1ES that costs 2000$
You take on the go WM1Z that costs 3000$
And you travel with 7000$ DMP-Z1

Sorry but this makes zero sense to me :)
The cost doesn't matter on these designer's mind. only convenience and best sound possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back