Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 10, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #497 of 1,079
In a Japanese livestream last night with project leader Sekine-san, they were saying how even though it has gotten heavier, thanks to the new design, it feels lighter.

Having felt it in person, I beg to differ. The hump makes it impossible to lie flat on the table and the bigger display means the walkman is more unwieldy, even more so than the old WM1Z

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #498 of 1,079
Is the ui quick and responsive?
Mildly sluggish, swapping between apps is a bit slow
Allow me to answer in detail.

When swapping between apps by tapping the multitasking button, it took like one second before the device reacted. The device performance is noticeably smoother when using just the W.Music app. The display itself is wide and really beautiful. There is a notification LED at the bottom left as well. Perhaps @MrWalkman can extract the W.Music APK for me to use in my Xperia :wink:

Considering it used the same CPU as a ZX507 (Even though its about 4x more expensive mind you), I am hardly surprised by its performance.

For those considering this WM1ZM2, please keep in mind that android obsolescence really is an issue which will be exacerbated with such an old CPU. Ask any owner of the ZX1 or ZX2 and you will know.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #499 of 1,079
Also, for all of us where Amazon Music HD/Qobuz isn't available and Tidal is the only option, the new walkman did MQA 192kHz with Coldplay's Everglow so rest assured.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #500 of 1,079
I honestly have no disappointment or negative feelings towards the new models. I am sure there will be a small but noticeable improvement in sound like the 1Z > 1A but the side by side spec sheet highlights how minor the upgrades are.
For me:
*Having used Walkmans for many years and only playing local files the efficient Sony OS serves me well.
*As eye candy as a larger screen would be for album art I only briefly browse so a larger screen would only eat more battery.
*Likewise I only use direct source, so as much as the DSD mastering might be a good thing I probably wouldn't use it to preserve battery life. You can never have enough battery life but it is already very generous and I'm always at home so can charge at any time so the increased battery capacity isn't a major one as I see it.
*The larger size would be less than ideal as I am perfectly confident navigating my hefty 1Z with one hand and after the recent 1Z purchase, doubling the weight of my 1A I wouldn't appreciate even a few more grams.
*USB-C would be handy but an extra cable is no bother to me, and having the dock and conversion cable already there is little to really gain.

One surprise is the same onboard storage, after 6 years storage has dropped in price dramatically, either they could have offered only dual microSD card slots or at least upped it to 512gb. I like everything on 1 SD card so the storage provided goes to waste.
For others I understand it may tick all the boxes - one day I may be listing these as selling points myself 😉

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #502 of 1,079
The recent video by Sony will go down as one of the most ridiculous efforts by Sony to release new gear probably in their complete history. Sony has improved the copper purity by under 1%, changed to slightly better solder and replaced some capacitors in the power supply. From what I have read the SOC is only slightly better. This is now offered as a new/upgraded player. Not bad going in 5 or more years since the last offerings. What this shows to me is that their S-Master is effectively dead. They have no where to go with this dead tech. Lets now look at the iBasso DX240. ibasso never sold this as new player, it was exhibited as an upgrade to the series, and what an upgrade. Beefier SOC and substantial DAC improvements and software refinements were offered. I'm not here pushing the DX240 although showing that Sony is sick and needs emergency care. They have released some of the best TVs of late and other gear although in this realm failed miserably. They ought to be embarrassed at this offering if you could call it that. Sony this was a complete joke.

Having the near identical UI/CPU guts as an A107/ZX507 for £1300 is a disappointment no matter how much slightly better it will sound.

Think I will pass on it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #504 of 1,079
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #506 of 1,079
Having the near identical UI/CPU guts as an A107/ZX507 for £1300 is a disappointment no mater how much slightly better it will sound.

Think I will pass on it.
That's the clincher though, it cannot possibly sound better since they haven't done anything. I was so looking forward to this release and since it's Sony expected and demanded some almost magical player to replace their now old fare. What did I get for waiting, I've now been treated like some idiot. No problem the competition is strong and there is many to choose from. I did predict here some two hours or so before the video went live that I thought the new daps would not be an upgrade although some sought of side grade. Well, I was slightly wrong on that part, one could quite easily argue that we received a down grade in that nothing new SQ wise was provided and adding insult to injury had to wait 5+ years for that insignificancy.

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #507 of 1,079
That's the clincher though, it cannot possibly sound better since they haven't done anything. I was so looking forward to this release and since it's Sony expected and demanded some almost magical player to replace their now old fare. What did I get for waiting, I've now been treated like some idiot. No problem the competition is strong and there is many to choose from. I did predict here some two hours or so before the video went live that I thought the new daps would not be an upgrade although some sought of side grade. Well, I was slightly wrong on that part, one could quite easily argue that we received a down grade in that nothing new SQ wise was provided and adding insult to injury had to wait 5+ years for that insignificancy.
Well since very few have listened to them yet we don’t really know if the sq is better than the old models or not

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #508 of 1,079
Well since very few have listened to them yet we don’t really know if the sq is better than the old models or not
Piwer does latter f.e if you have high performance HP like let’s say Final D8000 or Senn HD660s/800s or utopias. From 250mW they may be driven OK’ish but at 60mW excuse me

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #509 of 1,079
Whilst im sure the sq will be better in some ways and I really appreciate streaming and bigger screen, that’s about it, too much money and now im sure things at Sony are definitely not what they uses to be.
Sad really ..
But im overly happy with my DX240 and its light form factor and sound, so who cares anymore..

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #510 of 1,079
That's the clincher though, it cannot possibly sound better since they haven't done anything.

Haven't done anything? Did you even read the release materials? Just in terms of active components they created a completely new power regulation stage (the massive silver capacitor), new FTcaps (version 3 vs version 1 in the WM1) which they specially customised, and more accurate clock crystals.

In terms of passive components, new PCB boards, thicker internal cabling, much better compartmentalisation between components, more EMI shielding, new solder etc just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back