Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #481 of 1,079
Awesomely well!
I did notice what you told me about MDR-Z1R but hen updating my WM1A to FW 3.02. They had overwhelming bass presence and was feeling dissappointed.
DMP-Z1 seems to have cleared them from this fog and sound at time too lean 😆 in a good way. Like the Bass on a LIVE REAL LIFE CONCERT

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #482 of 1,079
On sony Germany i see both WM1AM2 and 1ZM2 support cue-sheet. That is good for the people who have single FLAC/APE files with an associated cue file to split the big file into virtual tracks.

@MrWalkman is this feature available in Walkman OS DAPs?

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #485 of 1,079
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #486 of 1,079
On sony Germany i see both WM1AM2 and 1ZM2 support cue-sheet. That is good for the people who have single FLAC/APE files with an associated cue file to split the big file into virtual tracks.

@MrWalkman is this feature available in Walkman OS DAPs?

I think I saw at least a mention of it somewhere in the firmware files, but I never actually tried it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #488 of 1,079
i use the 1a for over 2 years already and its just enough. We need to consider android 11 implementation on the signature series. We all know sony will put bare minimum cpu that can cover just enough of moderate usage. Considering multitasking, im sure it will be alot of lag over time, not to said the software update might even be so rare on android platform till it eventually get sluggish overtime like any other android phone. High refresh rate is just a waste of function on DAP, better keep at 60 and save battery.
Probably, the fear of these very expensive devices becoming sluggish, almost impossible to use bricks (like it happened to my ZX2) is my greatest concern.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #489 of 1,079
Probably, the fear of these very expensive devices becoming sluggish, almost impossible to use bricks (like it happened to my ZX2) is my greatest concern.
Yup, I own the ZX1, ZX2, Z1060, and F807 and I can relate to that.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #490 of 1,079
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #493 of 1,079
The recent video by Sony will go down as one of the most ridiculous efforts by Sony to release new gear probably in their complete history. Sony has improved the copper purity by under 1%, changed to slightly better solder and replaced some capacitors in the power supply. From what I have read the SOC is only slightly better. This is now offered as a new/upgraded player. Not bad going in 5 or more years since their last offerings. What this shows to me is that their S-Master is effectively dead. They have no where to go with this dead tech and it's obvious. Lets now look at the iBasso DX240. ibasso never offered this as a new player, it was exhibited as an upgrade to the series, and what an upgrade. Beefier SOC and substantial DAC improvements together with software refinements were provided. I'm not here pushing the DX240 although showing that Sony is sick and needs emergency care. They have released some of the best TVs of late and other gear although in this realm have failed miserably. They ought to be embarrassed at this offering if you could call it that. Sony this was a complete joke.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #494 of 1,079
For me, the Z1R and 1Z was underwhelming at best - the bass was flabby and lacking control, the mids were uneven, and the top end was piercing. The headphone lacked dynamics overall and technical merits were soft and lacking. Wasn't as bad as the MDR-Z7M2, I grant you that - that was even worse. Both of these headphones can scale up and sound decent being driven properly, so I'm assigning blame here to the source.

When I had these DAPs, I did my best to generate more power by stacking them with various portable amps (CV5, BA300s, Fostex HP-V1, etc), but because of the lack of line-out it never sounded coherent. Given Sony are using the same tech here, I suspect they'll continue with the lack of a line-out.
Sounds like you were using the stock cable which is a piece of crap and cripples it's performance.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #495 of 1,079
I might have missed if this was shared before, but it is good for a quick comparison of the new models.
It's from an e earphone blog:

https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1413849

Screenshot_20220210-153242_Facebook.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back