Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 18, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #842 of 8,231
I've tried the Z1R with about all the high end dapa (excluding the LP6 family), and with Mr Walkman dmp FW, for me, WM1A is the second best source for the IER-Z1R, right after stock DMP-Z1.
For me, 1A (Mr Walkman) is much better balance compared to stock 1Z.
1Z pairs great with M9, which to me is able to bring more detail out of the recording than Z1R. Paired with 1Z, there is more body and warmth, which just brings a very nice alternative to WM1A pair with IER-Z1R.

Now that I think about it, I should have bought the dmp instead of hm1000 and P6, first world problems.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #843 of 8,231
I really do like the MDR-Z7MK1 and have it near by.
Yep, I put my hands on them used recently and like them,
with an unbalanced cable yet,
want to go balanced, bought a custom balanced cable inexpensive but it came with the wrong wiring
on the headphone jacks as the master (a nice guy) wasn't sure about how Sony wires it.
Sent it back for a redo,
next week should be backhere, so will see how sound would be compared to the stock unbalanced cable.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #844 of 8,231
Hey guys! Hello everyone from Moscow! It seems this is my first post here, and yet I have been following this topic for a long time as well as the previous one. It seems that all of us here have become one big family - club of lovers of the true Sony sound. and I am grateful to each of you for all the experience and just pleasant communication. I think everyone here feels at home. An amazing place!

want to go balanced, bought a custom balanced cable inexpensive but it came with the wrong wiring
on the headphone jacks as the master (a nice guy) wasn't sure about how Sony wires it.
Sent it back for a redo,
next week should be backhere, so will see how sound would be compared to the stock unbalanced cable.

I'm sure you'll find it much better. It was always before when I made this comparison and I have no doubt that now it should have even more flavor with all the spices added by MrWalkman

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #845 of 8,231
I received my A55L this morning. :)

First things first:

As I have no Windows machine, I fired up my Linux laptop and

- I used the scsitool to change the region to E2 - suddenly I gained radio, recording, etc

- I installed the DMP50 mod & sound tuning. I extracted the .upg files from MrWalkman's windows executable, and used again the scsitool to install the two upg files. Worked without a hitch.
- Checked if the WM-port out still works - yes it does, so I still can get a digital signal out!

- Then I went ahead and downgraded my A30 back to the official firmware. It's important that after the downgrade you make a full factory reset, the error messages go away! It still shows it as a Z300, but that's just cosmetic and I don't know how to reset THAT. Anyone?
In the process I lost all the improvements (GUI, functionality), but got back the WM-port out (that was lost in MrWalkman's firmware) and the radio, etc. so I can use it again with my Fiio Q1mk2 dac/amp and its balanced output.

Can anyone confirm if the digital out on the WM port works o not with the DMP50R version?

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #846 of 8,231
Sent it back for a redo,
D9D94BB5-4DAF-4178-A11C-9A9CAA8BA93A.png

I’m sure your familiar with the (Sony MUC-B20SB1)..... though I’m just mentioning it again as it’s a big deal bringing balance to the Z7 even with the 1A.

This would be just a suggestion to get one if your not happy with your new cable or are still curious.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #847 of 8,231
D9D94BB5-4DAF-4178-A11C-9A9CAA8BA93A.png
I’m sure your familiar with the (Sony MUC-B20SB1)..... though I’m just mentioning it again as it’s a big deal bringing balance to the Z7 even with the 1A.

This would be just a suggestion to get one if your not happy with your new cable or are still curious.
Kimber cables are an... accquired taste

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #848 of 8,231
Kimber cables are an... accquired taste

That would be a correct statement if there was a minority of folks who liked them or found value in them. Since there are easily four folks on this very thread with them, your statement is invalid....sorry. :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #849 of 8,231
That would be a correct statement if there was a minority of folks who liked them or found value in them. Since there are easily four folks on this very thread with them, your statement is invalid....sorry. :)
Well this is a Sony thread after all :p

But from what i've seen on budget,midrange cable threads that seems to be the general concensus on kimber cables. People who first hear it often say its muddy or something to that effect.

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #850 of 8,231
Well this is a Sony thread after all :p

But from what i've seen on budget,midrange cable threads that seems to be the general concensus on kimber cables. People who first hear it often say its muddy or something to that effect.

You’ll see.....actually we will see the various comments to follow. :)

Lol.

In case you we not aware.......of all the folks here on this thread who nothing short of worship what the Kimber does for the MDR-Z1R, the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z72?

Not to mention the total historic and years long use by a huge group to match the IEM Kimber with the N3, Z5 and others. So to show up with that comment in a Sony thread where you will find a propensity of passionate Sony IEM and Headphone owners......

You obviously didn’t know about the Kimber use with the correction for the Z7 and Z1R?

We will let this go.

So your not going by personal use or even the combination by what people use on this thread? But your basing your comment about stuff you’ve read on line? Good luck with that methodology...hope it works for you.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #851 of 8,231

Lol.

In case you we not aware.......of all the folks here on this thread who nothing short of worship what the Kimber does for the MDR-Z1R, the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z72?

Not to mention the total historic and years long use by a huge group to match the IEM Kimber with the N3, Z5 and others. So to show up with that comment in a Sony thread where you will find a propensity of passionate Sony IEM and Headphone owners......

You obviously didn’t know about the Kimber use with the correction for the Z7 and Z1R?

We will let this go.

So your not going by personal use or even the combination by what people use on this thread? But your basing your comment about stuff you’ve read on line? Good luck with that methodology...hope it works for you.
I use kimber kable with my Z5 and have tried numerous other cables. I will never use any other cable apart from kimber for my Z5. It’s bloody darn good. It’s the best cable for the Z5. Period!

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #852 of 8,231

Lol.

We will let this go.

I had to test it out and I bought the MDR-Z1R BECAUSE of the Kimber Kable and it powered up my Z7M2. So now I have 2 Kimber Kables for both headphones. Been the best change I've done for those 2 cans

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #853 of 8,231
I had to test it out and I bought the MDR-Z1R BECAUSE of the Kimber Kable and it powered up my Z7M2. So now I have 2 Kimber Kables for both headphones. Been the best change I've done for those 2 cans

Not to beat a dead horse here, but (even with cables being questionable) the Kimber has brought some of the best sound quality value for the money of anything I’ve ever purchased..........while using the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #854 of 8,231
Not to beat a dead horse here, but (even with cables being questionable) the Kimber has brought some of the best sound quality value for the money of anything I’ve ever purchased..........while using the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R.
Another happy kimber cable user with MDR-Z1R here 👌

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #855 of 8,231
:sunglasses:

Believe me I'd love to try it out myself, but unfortuntely I've never had the chance to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back