Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #856 of 8,232
:sunglasses:

Believe me I'd love to try it out myself, but unfortuntely I've never had the chance to.
Kimber kable is one of the best cables ever made. You should try it or get it if you get the chance. You won’t need any other with kimber. It’s priced the way it is for a reason. I too am very sceptical about so called expensive cables but I trust my ears and they’re never wrong.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #857 of 8,232
:sunglasses:

Believe me I'd love to try it out myself, but unfortuntely I've never had the chance to.

See what you started. Lol. :) ^^^^^^^^vvvvvvv^^^^^^^^vvvvvvvv

The thing is if your reading about the Kimber cable for IER-M9 that’s kind of a new realm for Sony. Meaning it was confusing. I purchased my IEM Kimber for the IER-Z1R. I should have waited but I was amazed at what the Kimber does for the Z7 and Z1R full-size. The Kimber cable was not an improvement for the IER-Z1R.

In many ways the M7-M9 and IER-Z1R are closer to being the same. The Kimber does not make an improvement for the IER-Z1R. But in our recent history Sony has not made included cables as good as what came with the IER-Z1R. It may take a very expensive cable to beat the included IER-Z1R cable? Maybe that’s why you read about the Kimber being acquired taste? It’s probably synergy that the IEM Kimber does not go with everything.

But it’s pretty much standard (truth) that the Kimber goes with his MDR-Z7. That has been a historical combo and the single reason I could recommend it to him. The middle section of the bell curve all were in agreement that the Kimber and Z7 work well together. We of course found people that wanted maybe something else but it was as rare, though you read about people in this thread with the Kimber AXIOS.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #858 of 8,232

The thing is if your reading about the Kimber cable for IER-M9 that’s kind of a new realm for Sony. Meaning it was confusing. I purchased my IEM Kimber for the IER-Z1R. I should have waited but I was amazed at what the Kimber oes for the Z7 and Z1R full-size. The Kimber cable was not an improvement for the IER-Z1R.

In many ways the M7-M9 and IER-Z1R are closer to being the same. The Kimber does not make an improvement for the IER-Z1R. But in our recent history Sony has not made included cables as good as what came with the IER-Z1R. It may take a very expensive cable to beat the included IER-Z1R cable? Maybe that’s why you read about the Kimber being acquired taste? It’s probably synergy that the IEM Kimber does not go with everything.

But it’s pretty much standard (truth) that the Kimber goes with his MDR-Z7. That has been a historical combo and the single reason I could recommend it to him. The middle section of the bell curve all were in agreement that the Kimber and Z7 work well together. We of course found people that wanted maybe something else but it was as rare, though you read about people in this thread with the Kimber AXIOS.
Maybe Kimber goes best with overhead cans vs IEMs. But the IER-Z1R certainly is incredible with the 1Z in the MK2 mod. Wow

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #859 of 8,232
Maybe Kimber goes best with overhead cans vs IEMs. But the IER-Z1R certainly is incredible with the 1Z in the MK2 mod. Wow

The IEM Kimber adds great improvements too, to the Z5 and N3 for some.

I’m not going to comment about the M9 or M7 as I know very little about them.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #860 of 8,232

You should tell us how the 1Z was improved over MK1?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #861 of 8,232

The thing is if your reading about the Kimber cable for IER-M9 that’s kind of a new realm for Sony. Meaning it was confusing. I purchased my IEM Kimber for the IER-Z1R. I should have waited but I was amazed at what the Kimber does for the Z7 and Z1R full-size. The Kimber cable was not an improvement for the IER-Z1R.

Yeah the IEM kimber cable is meh but the full size & axios cables are pretty special :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #862 of 8,232
Yeah the IEM kimber cable is meh but the full size & axios cables are pretty special :)

Really you didn’t like what the Kimber did with your Z5?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #863 of 8,232
Really you didn’t like what the Kimber did with your Z5?

Not that I didn’t like it, but I didn’t hear any significant improvements with it. The M9 cable was my go-to on the Z5.

And I agree with your findings on the IER-Z1R Kimber combo. I felt it dulls the highs a little compared to stock. The stock IER-Z1R cable is fantastic imho

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #864 of 8,232
You should tell us how the 1Z was improved over MK1?
The most noticeable difference came in the MDR-Z1R. New sounds were discovered or at least background instruments came out a little further from the background when it come to music like Punk, orchestra, and R&B. Songs that had echoes in the voices, the echoes could actually be heard further away. There’s a lot more detail in the nuanced sounds that I didn’t realize were there was I listened to more songs. It’s just basically matching the DMP-Z1 at this point. It’s stellar. At least I can say that having such a powerful DAP with its full potential in your pocket is a big blessing in disguise. Just beyond amazing.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #865 of 8,232
I’m just guessing here, but the M9 cable must have made the Z5 more lively and took the mids forward a tad?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #866 of 8,232
I’m just guessing here, but the M9 cable must have made the Z5 more lively and took the mids forward a tad?
The M9 really is a clean IEM. There’s enough bass where you wouldn’t hunger for more. It’s definitely like fine wine, just smooth and sit back to relax easily in front of a chimney fire while the IER-Z1R makes the music pop and gets you to become more lively. It’s nice to have so many options people can choose from.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #867 of 8,232
Yeah it pulled back a bit of the warmth and added some treble emphasis, which the Z5 really needed for me.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #868 of 8,232
The most noticeable difference came in the MDR-Z1R. New sounds were discovered or at least background instruments came out a little further from the background when it come to music like Punk, orchestra, and R&B. Songs that had echoes in the voices, the echoes could actually be heard further away. There’s a lot more detail in the nuanced sounds that I didn’t realize were there was I listened to more songs. It’s just basically matching the DMP-Z1 at this point. It’s stellar. At least I can say that having such a powerful DAP with its full potential in your pocket is a big blessing in disguise. Just beyond amazing.

Those are big words! Hah. At any rate my own journey has not had me go MK2 on the 1Z. But I can only imagine how dramatic this must be. Also though it needs to be pointed out maybe that you really consider yourself a low volume level listener, right?

That’s the crazy thing I noted too using the 1A with MrWalkman firmware and the MDR-Z1R (Kimber) and 1A; the sound was better filled out and actually what seemed like louder. We could get someone to test volume levels as max volume levels in comparison to stock would be a pretty easy test for folks who have the equipment.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #869 of 8,232
The M9 really is a clean IEM. There’s enough bass where you wouldn’t hunger for more. It’s definitely like fine wine, just smooth and sit back to relax easily in front of a chimney fire while the IER-Z1R makes the music pop and gets you to become more lively. It’s nice to have so many options people can choose from.

You’ve used the M9 cable with the Sony XBA-Z5?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #870 of 8,232
You’ve used the M9 cable with the Sony XBA-Z5?
I just meant the M9 with the stock cable. Fine wine and enjoyable to listen with on the 1Z when it had the DMP M1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back