Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 21, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #5,837 of 8,232
It’s the new firmware the “ Walkman One WM1Z” just make sure which ever firmware is in your 1A, that you do a correct “StockRevert” first, then that’s it.

It really IS different than all that came before?
Redcarmoose, What combination did you use on your WM1A to get it to sound closest to the WM1Z sound? Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #5,839 of 8,232
Thanks for the post. I guess I meant, what additional tuning features did you use? MX3 or others, normal DAC or the other, etc?
Nothing I go direct. No EQ. Ummm..... I didn’t even check what region the new one comes in? So just straight as it comes. Normally MrWalkman will optimize the settings. Like I normally use J region and of course I had to change the MX3 region (to J) on the new Midnight v2 (for 1A) normal....as it’s on the brighter side, but ended going back to MX3 due to how 3D it was and the tone instruments had.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,840 of 8,232
I just spent 2 hours this time with Sennheiser IE900 (as my Z1R is definitely out of order and in the box with no chance to repair them as there are not supported in my country) .... comparing AutoEQ PEQ via Neutron and No EQ at all...
Again, the WM1A is a real pleasure in both mode (with and without external PEQ)... Though I feel AutoEQ PEQ quite necessary for a less recessed stage with IEM less V shape with uncontrolled low frequencies, though there is no chance, even with PEQ, to reach an open back headphone's stage.
Next step in a few days, give a try to the wm1Z tuning.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #5,841 of 8,232
Thanks for the post. I guess I meant, what additional tuning features did you use? MX3 or others, normal DAC or the other, etc?
Wm1z is nice with MX3, plus v2 and different dac mode. Sounds really nice.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5,843 of 8,232
There was a little issue with the Walkman One release, which was fixed, and the download link on the website was updated.

Long story short, don't try to switch the sound signature from Bright to WM1Z. In case you did and you have issues with your player, please PM me.

If you currently have Walkman One installed, I strongly recommend using the StockRevert package, and then reinstalling Walkman One from the new download link, which works fine when switching from Bright to WM1Z.

Thanks, and sorry for this.
Did it (again) & now everything seem fine. Had the wm1z signature on MX3, but decided to go back to Bright on J. 🤩 Woow. Thank you for correcting the Walkman One FW.

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #5,844 of 8,232
Yes, the IER is maybe best way to hear the 1A now but I wouldn’t know......:)

I have to admit I’m using the Noble Audio K-10 Encore......most all the time. I mean it’s actually kinda a messy “W” tune, in that it’s weird. But I’m so used to it. So after all these years (using the Encore) maybe it’s also adjusting to my high treble hearing loss.....I’m 59.5 years old.

But with both “tunes” I have been using it’s delivered the goods! The Midnight v2 has this realism of guitar sound and tone of the drums......the timbre is amazing. Sorry as I haven’t got a chance to try them with the IER? But typically the IER is even better. Bigger, more even sound than the Encore. Some people actually really find the Encore to be messed-up. It’s like gin, an acquired taste?

Initially I hated both 1A and IER, but ever since the FW changes, boy IER just shines on 1A. It is both technical and musical. I will buy a backup one day, just like I did with EX-1000.

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #5,845 of 8,232
Initially I hated both 1A and IER, but ever since the FW changes, boy IER just shines on 1A. It is both technical and musical. I will buy a backup one day, just like I did with EX-1000.
Yes, I bet the IER-Z1R IS special I have to try it. Actually in the olden days (before firmware) the 1A seemed to be the synergy with the IER in my use? The IER was the only IEM that seemed to make the 1A ok?

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5,847 of 8,232
Im there too its really good! wait bright has a plus mode? how many options in total?
A lot. 4 signatures, 2 dac initialisation modes (normal + alternative), 3 plus modes (normal + 2 alternative), 3 gain modes (normal, lower and higher)

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #5,848 of 8,232
Congrats on the new firmware Mr. Walkman! BTW does anyone know if the glitching issue on Plus v2 is resolved? Previously when I used plus v2 and BT receiver mode together and turned off the screen, my WM1Z would freeze. I remember I read a post before from Mr. Walkman saying he was working on a fix but would reset the device. Does that mean we still need to keep the screen on? (Might be better to update instructions if that’s still the case) Oh oops sorry please ignore me, the question’s been asked a few pages ago and I missed it. Still, it’s probably better to mention this in instructions.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #5,849 of 8,232
Congrats on the new firmware Mr. Walkman! BTW does anyone know if the glitching issue on Plus v2 is resolved? Previously when I used plus v2 and BT receiver mode together and turned off the screen, my WM1Z would freeze. I remember I read a post before from Mr. Walkman saying he was working on a fix but would reset the device. Does that mean we still need to keep the screen on? (Might be better to update instructions if that’s still the case)
The glitch is still there for some. Unfortunately there’s no fix for it.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #5,850 of 8,232
Still, it’s probably better to mention this in instructions.

It is mentioned in the settings file, at the "Plus mode version" section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back