Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #3,211 of 8,217
It shouldn't.

I imagine your answer should be the same for digital output via WMPort ? Nothing can be concerned on this way with your firmware modifications ?

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #3,212 of 8,217
I imagine your answer should be the same for digital output via WMPort ? Nothing can be concerned on this way with your firmware modifications ?

The answer should be the same. The sound signature applies for when sound is actually played through the player's hardware.

When playing to BT headphones/devices or the USB audio adapter, it's all software. They could add EQ/effects support, but the distinctive sound signature is a by-product of playing sound via the hardware.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #3,213 of 8,217
Enjoying FEv2+.
Love it.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,215 of 8,217
Hey, at this stage that would mean porting the A50 firmware for example, which I don't think it's worth spending time on.

You would lose the high gain option for example, the native DSD playing, etc.

"Sound improvements" of ClearAudio+ is processing the music by greatly boosting the bass, which makes stuff sound very boomy, and also adding some kind of hall effect. I certainly don't find it improving stuff.

When I first had some headphones, I thought that lows are boomy in songs, which was something interesting/cool, to have as much bass as possible, but in the end it was tiring. You would think it sounds cool, but you couldn't listen for too long until you got sick of that sound.

That's how ClearAudio+ is like - it sounds "cool", but your ears get tired of it quickly.

It was very interesting and refreshing to find some more normal/neutral headphones and actually hear how the song should sound like.
you think you can bring clear audio to 1A? i was allways eager to test it! specially in 3.01or give 3.00 a dual boot option if answer is no i get it ! there still work to do on 3.02 maybe... gerat work mr walkman!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #3,216 of 8,217
you think you can bring clear audio to 1A? i was allways eager to test it! specially in 3.01

I don't think I will spend time on that, same reasoning as in my post that you quoted.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #3,218 of 8,217
Will we get FEv2 for ZX300 as well?

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #3,219 of 8,217
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #3,220 of 8,217
With FEv2 The sound became much more forgiving with improved clarity, image stretches farther, and better bass control. Nice work @MrWalkman.
A small comment, you should set the V2 as Hold button down, I find turning on and off the Hold button whenever I turn on the DAP a bit inconvenient.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #3,221 of 8,217
With FEv2 The sound became much more forgiving with improved clarity, image stretches farther, and better bass control. Nice work @MrWalkman.
A small comment, you should set the V2 as Hold button down, I find turning on and off the Hold button whenever I turn on the DAP a bit inconvenient.

I'm not sure if it's worth going back and changing this, then modifying the webpage describing how this works, possibly making some people confused...

The thinking was that Plus is the additional mode, hence why it's with the "up" position of the button.

I'm sure that people having "trouble" will just get used to it.

Even I had moments when I forgot to change the position of the Hold button and I had to restart the player again, but it didn't bother me enough to go and change this, especially because this is the additional mode, consuming more battery, etc.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #3,223 of 8,217
Just loaded in the new FE v2 on plus mode and...

WOW! I love how clean and forward it is compared to the classic o.o im loving this so much! It paired perfectly with my old oriverti new primacy so much resolution o.o

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #3,224 of 8,217
If anyone has a chance to demo the Dunu Zen with WM1a, please do so. It is a match made in head-fi heaven.

Soon, Brexit making it painfully slow though...

Screenshot_20210127-091141_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #3,225 of 8,217
The answer should be the same. The sound signature applies for when sound is actually played through the player's hardware.

When playing to BT headphones/devices or the USB audio adapter, it's all software. They could add EQ/effects support, but the distinctive sound signature is a by-product of playing sound via the hardware.

A last question, should the Direct-mode be affected by yours improvements ?

PS : I am comparing these last days the WM1A FE+ with the rather new A&K Kann Alpha and a brand new Centrance M8 V2 in BT mode and USB-DAC mode from a common source which is Galaxy Z Fold 2 with Qobuz Hires Music => the WM1A FE+ gives really the most pleasant results from the 3 players with a IER-Z1R IEM connected, for the Sony Z7M2, it's more often "on par" as the WM1A is still a bit under powered compared to the 2 other DAPs for this quite demanding Headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back