Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,896 of 8,232
I could buy a short cable in xduoo.net shop last september
This cable is working fine to use an external amp like xduoo xc-05+ or making a WM1A as a DAC for a USB-C laptop.
I imagine it's just an OTG cable and can't be used for charging a WM1A with an external portable battery.
Capture xduoo x-c13.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,898 of 8,232
Sony disappointed us eagerly waiting for some miracle as CES for Walkman lovers. Sigh
Has anyone come across a USB-C to WM-Port adapter?

Just get a tiny hardwired microUSB to usbC converter

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,899 of 8,232
Here is my quick take on FE+ firmware:

1. Installation: Definitely a step up over the previous packer file. Installation is smooth with no error. The tuning exe is zip separately to avoid windows defender detect it as virus. Smart move.

2. Initial impression on the sound
- Direct Source: On
-High Gain: On
i am using JVC FW10000 running on balance.

a. Treble/detail - improve, more detail and brighter compare to FE. This make it sound like FE has a veil and FE+ lifted it.
b. Mid - more onstage feel, mid is improve as well
c. Soundstage - i feel it is more holographic. (not sure is the right word to describe it or not. it is really hard to describe sound). I do not find it noticeable narrower than the previous FE.
d. Bass - lower bass/sub bass region is reduce

Disclaimer: This is how i hear it and it can be different from one person to the other.

Thanks MrWalkman for another masterpiece! Your contribution is a great asset to our community.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2,900 of 8,232
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,901 of 8,232
You can also use a maybe easier to find USB-C to micro USB and a Sony Micro USB/WMPort adapter
Nowadays I prefer prefer LDAC BT connection with my smartphone (for Qobuz Streaming) than this cable.
But it's working fine too as external DAC!!
20210113_152359.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,902 of 8,232
I also love the mk2 more than FE but a Lots of praise from many user fir M5 after tried FE+ fw. Congratulations @MrWalkman to bring the new revolution for everyone. As everyone I'm also looking forward to seeing it. When is it released? Special thanks to you. Hope it coming soon :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,903 of 8,232
I'm still trying out the FE+ with my 1z and I can already say it makes me wanting to revisit every single album inside my player to experience them once again, esp. the DSD files as the sound from these simply came alive like how I listen to live music!
I can say that it brings my 1z once again a big step closer to what I hear from the DMP-Z1.
Thanks a lot for your great contribution @MrWalkman:)

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,904 of 8,232
Sharing a little off topic thoughts, but @MrWalkman hard work on firmware upgrades have really helped me to change my perspective on where I spend my disposable dollars. Recently, I've focused back on music making versus music listening. With on going stay at home orders, I've picked guitar playing back and have committed myself to getting past my intermediate playing level which has been a wall for me for over a decade. What I find a bit shocking is what $2000 buys as a musical instrument versus hifi equipment. On the guitar end $2000 is a professional level, hand made instrument like a Gibson Les Paul. For headphones, DACs, DAPS, etc I don't know if $2000 gets you to that same level of equipment. Of course there is a crazy market on "vintage" guitars that go well into 6 figures, but those are purely for collectors. I pray that never happens with hifi equipment.

Back on topic - I thank @MrWalkman for giving me free upgrades to my existing listening gear so I don't have any desire to buy more on the listening side of equipment. I want to give this recognition now in case I take long breaks from Headfi as I spend more time on music making.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,905 of 8,232
Sharing a little off topic thoughts, but @MrWalkman hard work on firmware upgrades have really helped me to change my perspective on where I spend my disposable dollars. Recently, I've focused back on music making versus music listening. With on going stay at home orders, I've picked guitar playing back and have committed myself to getting past my intermediate playing level which has been a wall for me for over a decade. What I find a bit shocking is what $2000 buys as a musical instrument versus hifi equipment. On the guitar end $2000 is a professional level, hand made instrument like a Gibson Les Paul. For headphones, DACs, DAPS, etc I don't know if $2000 gets you to that same level of equipment. Of course there is a crazy market on "vintage" guitars that go well into 6 figures, but those are purely for collectors. I pray that never happens with hifi equipment.

Back on topic - I thank @MrWalkman for giving me free upgrades to my existing listening gear so I don't have any desire to buy more on the listening side of equipment. I want to give this recognition now in case I take long breaks from Headfi as I spend more time on music making.

Those are some really nice words, thanks!

I'm glad that this is possible, especially as I'm also benefiting so much from it. It's a joy to listen to my WM1A now.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #2,907 of 8,232
Looks line FE+ is consuming 5-10% more battery than FE

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,908 of 8,232
Looks line FE+ is consuming 5-10% more battery than FE

Yep, it could, though more testing should be done to establish that, maybe.

That's why it's gonna be in a separate firmware package and not an update to DMP-WM1 FE.

DMP-WM1 FE will get an update though, for the syncing of the visualizers.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,910 of 8,232
FE + is a completely different quality level. Is it possible to add low frequencies for this? Something like a fan version)

Unfortunately, it's not possible - I have no issues on my side anyway, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back