Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,851 of 8,232
Testing FE+ now. One word, Amazing. Just when you thought it couldn’t get better. In fact I thought I had the best sound I could ever want and then this. Well done again @MrWalkman

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,852 of 8,232
Testing FE+ now. One word, Amazing. Just when you thought it couldn’t get better. In fact I thought I had the best sound I could ever want and then this. Well done again @MrWalkman

Thanks for testing it!

Yes, it's the same sound signature, but better rendered, hence the bass gets tighter/more impactful, and more details can be heard, for example, while everything is still as harshless and smooth as before.

This may come at a little cost of some battery, hence why it will be in a different firmware package, and not just an update to DMP-WM1 FE.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2,853 of 8,232
Thanks for testing it!

Yes, it's the same sound signature, but better rendered, hence the bass gets tighter/more impactful, and more details can be heard, for example, while everything is still as harshless and smooth as before.

This may come at a little cost of some battery, hence why it will be in a different firmware package, and not just an update to DMP-WM1 FE.
Indeed. The sound characteristics are pretty much the same with FE but with more refinement. Very fine refinements that polish the sound quite significantly. Bass has better slam and tightens up. Mids are about the same if not slightly more around you. Highs are vastly improved by way of detail retrieval and ultra smoothness. Details are even more present and I feel that the entire sound field is now more holographic. I love this new version.

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,854 of 8,232
Thanks for testing it!

Just out of interest, some recent firmwares were said to possibly have improved battery life, what is different with this one that may reduce it?

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,855 of 8,232
Just out of interest, some recent firmwares were said to possibly have improved battery life, what is different with this one that may reduce it?

Basically, the S-Master will be used better when playing anything that is not DSD. This may reduce the battery life a little, but that remains to be seen.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2,856 of 8,232
Thanks for testing it!

My oh my! It’s gonna reach another level yet again??

When’s the ETA? Can’t wait!!

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,857 of 8,232
My oh my! It’s gonna reach another level yet again??

When’s the ETA? Can’t wait!!

Most probably by the end of this week.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2,858 of 8,232
I just wrote a small note to MrWalkman about FE+ and I may have to rewrite my nonsense to him on FE+? It’s growing on me by the second.

The mind is a funny thing? Perception is only perception but not reality. Though I’m starting to get chills right now. Of course I’m listening to the widest IEMs I have and the widest music I have and it’s like being in a movie theatre with stuff all around. Crazy. Need to also keep trying to learn about how correct it is. But surprisingly it’s very natural.

I didn’t spend too much time with FE, but stayed with MK1 and MK2. What I CAN say........is this is the biggest soundstage I’ve ever heard from the Walkman players. It’s wide in every $&@&/)(;-$&@ direction, yet everything seems in place.

I thought maybe the bass was not like MK2, but even that I’m really starting to understand. Mental burn-in is real. Your mind only learns to accept and see things after recognition of such things. Things have to slowly be accepted as how they are......as normally the mind only uses what it knows as correct, not necessarily what is actually correct. That basically means you could be shown better........yet it would be perceived as faulty?

Though we may have gone from 4K to 8K just now, it’s still too early to tell. But it’s amazing and so big I can’t even describe it.

:)

MrWalkman has gone next-gen on us somehow? I haven’t cried yet....but the day is young.

Using Noble K-10 Encore Universal, Hansound Zen 4.4mm cable, DUNU L tips and Walkman 1A in J region with FE+.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,859 of 8,232
so, @MrWalkman was kind enough to allow me to try the new FE+

tbh today was just a bad day at work, no sales, the city sucks this days, and im a bit tired... installed the fw realizing he got some tricks under his sleeve so non computer people dont get lost with windows defender (nice one bro)

plugged my ex1000 and prepared my EQ settings for em and man, im enjoying em so much, i even pulled the bass up, theres some sorcery in the details right now, playing Plini - Impulse Voices, guitars are quite alive, i always use the same eq with them but i can notice the change, details are impressive, theres something different in the way the sound is presented, its a step forward tbh. if we were already at 100% of capacity of the s master, this must be a different way of processing the info cause im totally impressed, this dap keeps surprising me. i can rest assured that this will keep me hooked for the longest time. impressive overall quality

will we get this for the zx300 and nw 45/55? i cant imagine how good will they sound

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #2,860 of 8,232

26D8BE27-3D31-4D13-8327-66B904744921.jpeg

DMP-Z1 emulation MK 1 is the first trophy.
DMP-Z1 emulation FE is the center trophy.
DMP-Z1 emulation MK 2 is the third trophy.

See that light coming down?

That’s the reflection off the FE+ trophy, that’s so big it’s can’t fit in the frame. That light is the reflection off it though. :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #2,861 of 8,232
so, @MrWalkman was kind enough to allow me to try the new FE+

tbh today was just a bad day at work, no sales, the city sucks this days, and im a bit tired... installed the fw realizing he got some tricks under his sleeve so non computer people dont get lost with windows defender (nice one bro)

plugged my ex1000 and prepared my EQ settings for em and man, im enjoying em so much, i even pulled the bass up, theres some sorcery in the details right now, playing Plini - Impulse Voices, guitars are quite alive, i always use the same eq with them but i can notice the change, details are impressive, theres something different in the way the sound is presented, its a step forward tbh. if we were already at 100% of capacity of the s master, this must be a different way of processing the info cause im totally impressed, this dap keeps surprising me. i can rest assured that this will keep me hooked for the longest time. impressive overall quality

I'm glad that you like it!

Did you notice the visualizers? :D At least I like them very much now that they are such in sync.

will we get this for the zx300 and nw 45/55? i cant imagine how good will they sound

ZX300 will get it, but I'm not sure about the A45/A55. I will have to check some stuff.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #2,862 of 8,232
Thanks to Mr. Walman for allowing a preview of the new FE+

I just listen for about an hour but the hype is real. I just got a gist of it, but new FE+ is definitely better than FE. Realism, every line, every tone are delineated sharply and accurately. It sounds sharper than FE, it feels like another layer of fog is lifted from FE. I know how it sounds unbelievable ( I listen to FE all the time) but after listening to FE+, it feels FE has some fog on certain parts of the songs. Technically, the improvements doesn't sound much, slight improvements in tightening bass, but my ears tell differently. It sounds sharper, everything is so clear, but not harsh. Its like when we watch 4K tv sets compared to 1080 plasma, it just seems sometimes plasma looks, move more natural. That's how it feels like with FE+, music flows and more importantly sounds very natural, although its now 8K. It also sounds even more emotive, easier to get carried away into your music. I'm using Fir M5, very capable iem, does everything well, except, well its not emotive. FE+ changes this iem by adding even more realism and emotions. A small step in technical improvement, an even greater leap to our listening pleasure. FE+ sucks you deeper into the music

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,863 of 8,232
Thanks to Mr. Walman for allowing a preview of the new FE+

I just listen for about an hour but the hype is real. I just got a gist of it, but new FE+ is definitely better than FE. Realism, every line, every tone are delineated sharply and accurately. It sounds sharper than FE, it feels like another layer of fog is lifted from FE. I know how it sounds unbelievable ( I listen to FE all the time) but after listening to FE+, it feels FE has some fog on certain parts of the songs. Technically, the improvements doesn't sound much, slight improvements in tightening bass, but my ears tell differently. It sounds sharper, everything is so clear, but not harsh. Its like when we watch 4K tv sets compared to 1080 plasma, it just seems sometimes plasma looks, move more natural. That's how it feels like with FE+, music flows and more importantly sounds very natural, although its now 8K. It also sounds even more emotive, easier to get carried away into your music. I'm using Fir M5, very capable iem, does everything well, except, well its not emotive. FE+ changes this iem by adding even more realism and emotions. A small step in technical improvement, an even greater leap to our listening pleasure. FE+ sucks you deeper into the music

Awesome!

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,864 of 8,232
Looking forward to the release of FE+,

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #2,865 of 8,232
I was offered an opportunity to try the new FE+ firmware and offer any feedback - I just installed it a gave it a quick run through some tracks.
*Disclaimer: I have been busy during our summer holidays so I haven't listened to music much on my WM1A with FE firmware and I have recently got a new iem cable.
I am not great with words and my impressions will be simplistic but I wanted to add my 2 cents, which is probably what it is worth literally, before I read others opinions.
I always have a quick listen to 3.02 stock when I revert before installing to make sure I'm not imagining the improvements these Mr Walkman's firmwares bring, stock is really average sounding and if I had to go back I may even look at another device - god bless you Mr Walkman.
To my ears the new FE+ still has great bass but I perceive a lift in the treble and mids that gives it more detail and a bit more energy but it definitely doesn't come across bright or harsh at all, although my iems are on the warmer side. I really like what I hear.
Like I said this is just my input that may vastly differ from others experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back