Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,041 of 8,232
Hi, I have installed firmware WM1A/Z+(3.02).
How to get back on 3.02. Is available somewhere firmware WM1 Back to Stock, please?
Thanks.

You don't need WM1 Back to Stock, just install the stock firmware.

Does the FE firmware on the 1Z use a lot of battery life? It's not really an issue for me as I use the player at home.My music files are AIFF rips from CDs,I understand file formats are a whole other issue, subject,etc..I'm simply curious, battery levels seem to drop pretty rapidly after not much use.Thanks!

WM1A and WM1Z have almost the same hardware (except some capacitors, resistors, and wires), and I didn't notice battery issues on my WM1A.

You could try using your 1Z until the device can't turn on anymore, and then leave it charging with the Battery Care setting off. While it's charging, don't use it. This should help recalibrating the battery.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,042 of 8,232
At the same time, I'm thinking it could also be because of the superior sound processing involved.

In that case, the same would go for all DMP FE firmware versions (for all devices).

To be honest I'm not monitoring the battery usage too much myself. Still, the recalibration process could help.

On another note, it's awesome when I use the computer for several hours, and after that I play some music from the player, and I hear again that big scene. It's like relaxation for my ears.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,043 of 8,232
At the same time, I'm thinking it could also be because of the superior sound processing involved.

In that case, the same would go for all DMP FE firmware versions (for all devices).

To be honest I'm not monitoring the battery usage too much myself. Still, the recalibration process could help.
As I mentioned, it's not an issue as such, more of a query.I very much appreciate your hard work, enthusiasm, and above all else, commitment to the whole Sony issue, and quite possibly, conundrum.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,044 of 8,232
I was wondering if the complete factory reset that is part of the installation messes with the battery calibration. I ran the A55 all the way down and have charged it to 100% so will se if that gets the battery back to 25-30 hours. So far it has played 6 hours and not lost a bar

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,045 of 8,232
OK - I had a pretty good listening session this afternoon with the Sony NW-A55 running the non-R version with my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Here's some of my thoughts.

The sound quality on some of my favourite and familiar tracks sounded somewhat flat and boring to start with. The music was kind of flowing over me rather than being absorbed - hope that sort of makes sense. However, as time went on I realised that this 'flat' sound was super detailed and the imagery was rock solid - this stability greatly helped me follow specific instruments all the way through tracks without them getting lost in the mix - and without you having to concentrate. You can drift in and out (in your mind) but when you want that focus, it's there instantly and effortlessly.

It was nice to get back the NFC functionality - I use it when pairing my Sony WH1000XM2's and it works really well. Bluetooth performance and sound quality appears to be the same (which was expected considering that it's not really using any of the cool features of the player - rather just transmitting the data). Nice solid connection with the Sony's - I haven't tried any others as I tend to use my phone with my other bluetooth headphones.

When I can be bothered, I shall change the region code from 'J' to some of the others to see if I like the possible changes to the sound characteristic. I shall keep you all posted.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #2,046 of 8,232
OK - I had a pretty good listening session this afternoon with the Sony NW-A55 running the non-R version with my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Here's some of my thoughts.

The sound quality on some of my favourite and familiar tracks sounded somewhat flat and boring to start with. The music was kind of flowing over me rather than being absorbed - hope that sort of makes sense. However, as time went on I realised that this 'flat' sound was super detailed and the imagery was rock solid - this stability greatly helped me follow specific instruments all the way through tracks without them getting lost in the mix - and without you having to concentrate. You can drift in and out (in your mind) but when you want that focus, it's there instantly and effortlessly.

It was nice to get back the NFC functionality - I use it when pairing my Sony WH1000XM2's and it works really well. Bluetooth performance and sound quality appears to be the same (which was expected considering that it's not really using any of the cool features of the player - rather just transmitting the data). Nice solid connection with the Sony's - I haven't tried any others as I tend to use my phone with my other bluetooth headphones.

When I can be bothered, I shall change the region code from 'J' to some of the others to see if I like the possible changes to the sound characteristic. I shall keep you all posted.

Well, I know I can get the NFC working now, but I still have to tinker in order to get rid of the "an error has occurred" thing, for the R version.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,047 of 8,232
Well, I know I can get the NFC working now, but I still have to tinker in order to get rid of the "an error has occurred" thing, for the R version.

It seems only some get that error, I didn't have it on the R and I don't have it on the R FE on my A55

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,048 of 8,232
It seems only some get that error, I didn't have it on the R and I don't have it on the R FE on my A55

Same, but some do have it, and I had it as well in the beginning. It was really annoying.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #2,049 of 8,232
Same, but some do have it, and I had it as well in the beginning. It was really annoying.

A bit like the stock 3.0 on the WM1. Most had no problems with it, but for me it constantly crashed my 1Z, the only Sony fw ever to do that on any player I've had

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,050 of 8,232
The veiled treble could be your IEMs as I don't have that issue as the only difference between you and me are the IEMs.
Or tips maybe?

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #2,051 of 8,232
I would love to have the veiled treble removed/improved in region J. Is that even possible Mr.Walkman? Been trying all the regions and they all seem to lack something different places. Region seem to me to have the best all round sound. But the treble sound on J can be improved!
Veiled relative to?

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #2,053 of 8,232
I was wondering if the complete factory reset that is part of the installation messes with the battery calibration. I ran the A55 all the way down and have charged it to 100% so will se if that gets the battery back to 25-30 hours. So far it has played 6 hours and not lost a bar
Let me know if and how you got the battery issue sorted for 55FE :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #2,054 of 8,232
Let me know if and how you got the battery issue sorted for 55FE :)

Just completely discharged and then charged to 100%. Seems to have sorted it again. Have so far played 8 hours and not dropped a bar yet. Looks like the installation messes with the battery calibration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back