Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #8,206 of 8,217
The Walkman doesn’t unfold the MQA file. It just recognises it and plays it as it is. As the walkman was released 7-8 years ago even before the MQA format was released.

Actually, all MQA files are fully unfolded in software, and then they're played internally by the S-Master at 32 bit/352.8/384 kHz (contrary to on-screen indications showing, for example, MQA 96 kHz).

From what I've read, MQA consists in folding and then unfolding of high frequency data, and also playing back the files using a certain reconstruction filter (out of several, depending on the audio when encoding into MQA).

As the unfolding is done in software in this case, and then the audio being played back at the S-Master's highest sample rate, the filtering part should also be done in software, and the S-Master should play the audio as it's coming from the whole MQA software processing part (as the S-Master doesn't have any built-in MQA decoding capabilities).

MQA support for these devices was added in the 2.00 firmware update, in 2017.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #8,207 of 8,217
The Walkman doesn’t unfold the MQA file. It just recognises it and plays it as it is. As the walkman was released 7-8 years ago even before the MQA format was released.
The 1A/1Z MQA firmware update was release in 2019. There's some misleading information. All MQA files are 44.1/48 kHz. The S-Master DAC is fully licensed to decode MQA (both first and second unfold).

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #8,208 of 8,217
Is mqa better than flac with some albums? is there any point of getting it if I've flac?
When MQA was released, I downloaded a lot of albums, because the idea of having the mastertape sound and all of it in a smaller file.! Whats not to like? I can't remember precisely , but I think the MQA works with something around 18bit. But......if you listen really close & carefully and pay full attention, you'll get the quality comparable to a CD. That's what my ears are telling me. Total scam to me!

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #8,209 of 8,217
The 1A/1Z MQA firmware update was release in 2019. There's some misleading information. All MQA files are 44.1/48 kHz. The S-Master DAC is fully licensed to decode MQA (both first and second unfold).
Yes. Apologies. I stand corrected.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #8,210 of 8,217
I just got a NW-a55l walkman and I am trying to figure out what firmware I should use. I am not planning on using any eq or other audio adjustment features I just want the most neutral sounding firmware possible with line out functionality. I also do not want the hold button, or any of the other buttons to adjust the tuning. One more thing I'd like but isn't needed per se is the external dac function. With all this in mind what firmware would be recommended?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #8,211 of 8,217
I just got a NW-a55l walkman and I am trying to figure out what firmware I should use. I am not planning on using any eq or other audio adjustment features I just want the most neutral sounding firmware possible with line out functionality. I also do not want the hold button, or any of the other buttons to adjust the tuning. One more thing I'd like but isn't needed per se is the external dac function. With all this in mind what firmware would be recommended?
As far as I know there is no true line out possibillity with the A55. Some of the older Walkman players allowed line out from the WM port but I don’t believe the A55 offers this so the best you can do is from the headphone out

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #8,212 of 8,217
As far as I know there is no true line out possibillity with the A55. Some of the older Walkman players allowed line out from the WM port but I don’t believe the A55 offers this so the best you can do is from the headphone out
I see, I saw in the notes of one of the firmwares that the functionality was disabled so this made me assume that it was an option. Generally other daps just put the output at max volume for line out mode from my experience so I don't think it really matters either way....

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #8,213 of 8,217

The A55 has digital out from the WM port (works also with @MrWalkman firmware), the A35 has analog out from the WM port. There are (were?) e.g. Fiio cables with respective WM-USB micro and WM-3,5mm terminations. I really don't remember anymore, if the A35 had WM-USB mini capability with the stock fw.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #8,214 of 8,217
The A55 has digital out from the WM port (works also with @MrWalkman firmware), the A35 has analog out from the WM port. There are (were?) e.g. Fiio cables with respective WM-USB mini and WM-3,5mm terminations. I really don't remember anymore, if the A35 had WM-USB mini capability with the stock fw.
Yes but he asked for line out not digital out

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #8,215 of 8,217
1713945305127.png

I have this to convert wm-port to line out on my NW-A45. Not sure if it will work with A55

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #8,216 of 8,217
1713945305127.png

I have this to convert wm-port to line out on my NW-A45. Not sure if it will work with A55
I’m pretty sure it will not as I don’t think the analog pins are active on the WM port just like they are not on the 1A/1Z and ZX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back