Sony Walkman 'Japanese Versions' – Help for Dummies thread
May 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #61 of 182
Quote:
any ideas or advice on how I can reinstall Andriod on the WM-Z?

think I've messed up with force closing things... I've done factory reset but the apps are still showing closed.... just want to reinstall it to back as it was.

cheers for any help

OK,  are you up and running again?  Did you try the initializing procedure in Android settings?

I see your Ebay case maker has stock now.  Thanks for the tip!

May 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #62 of 182
Quote:
OK,  are you up and running again?  Did you try the initializing procedure in Android settings?

I see your Ebay case maker has stock now.  Thanks for the tip!

the WM-Z is working fine but I'm only loading about 100 tracks on it till I sort things with Sony on Monday... they'll remotely reinstall the android features for me.... still gotta get rid of that bloody game, should be able to tell you how to do it after Sony have done their stuff... interestingly I'm having this re-install done by Sony-USA so I don't fall foul of the Euro-cap... I may be real cheeky and ask if they can install a complete english-version to the Z1070 but I don't hold out much hope on that one.

pop-in to the WM-Z thread, it's kinda interesting
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #64 of 182
    I have just about given up on Media Go.  X-App is my music application of choice.  Although M Go will work and deal with the album art, it is a crude and weak program in comparison to X-App.  It still beats out Windows Media Player by a bit, but they are very similar.  It's hard to believe the same company that made X-App made M Go.  Maybe it was written on a lunch break...

I had kept M Go around in hopes of using it with my receiver & FLAC files, but that isn't working out.  The receiver plays the X-App music, but Denon didn't give the receiver the ability to display album art on anything but MP3s.  I guess Japanese companies gave up on other countries that are saturated with Iphone & MP3.

I have a US Z that I use with MP3s. I use it for music and foreign language lessons in my noisy work vehicle, so MP3 is good enough.  The X-App does not recognize it as a player, although it does recognize memory cards.  I have to use the ol' drag 'n drop method.  As long as the files are dropped into the MUSIC folder, the Z has no trouble playing them and displaying the album art.  I haven't been able to get an OMGAUDIO folder to be recognized in this Z by the X-App, but I will keep trying.
    The X-App will allow multiple copies of a CD to be imported in different formats-you just have to check the boxes manually for each track you want after the first copy. A small window will pop up when you start the import to ask if you want to change the name (choose the 2nd option-(N)- and put the name you want in the box). I just put the format in the parentheses to label them. The (R) option will stuff both copies in the same album of the library, which may be useful for an AB format comparison, but seems silly otherwise.

There does seem to be a problem if  M Go, WMP and X-app are all installed.  Each program seems to locate all the music files on the PC, but only X-App does it well.  The other two have artwork problems and WMP split an album's tracks into 2 albums today.  Since I can deal with X-App and it far outclasses the other two, it is the one I'll use.  I don't notice any problem until I open MGo or WMP.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #65 of 182
Ripping CDs in X-App

This is for those who might use X-App but can't read the Japanese.  I have language packs from Windows installed, so the pics below may look different from your screens.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/languages if interested in such packs.

The first shot shows the CD Import viewport.  It will pop up when a CD is inserted.  It can also be selected by choosing it from the column of viewports on the left edge of the screen. Pick the box with the CD icon, shown here highlighted in yellow.

Here, X-App has already read info off the CD and found album art. If if finds multiple art choices, a box will pop up listing available CD titles as in the next shot.  In that case, highlight the desired choice & click the middle button to accept-the left button would make a new Gracenote rule (I think) and the right button is cancel.
The shot on the left below identifies various parts of the CD Import viewport boxed in red.
 At this point you can edit the title, artist, or genre of the CD, but this can be done at any time later. If no artwork is displayed or you wish to change it and have an image available, go to where the artwork (in this case, Kate Bush's photo) is shown and right click. Top options (S) let you browse to your saved image and bottom (P) plays the CD. I don't know why there are 2 (S) choices (jacket and artist pictures).  
     To choose the format to rip to, click the Import Settings button as pointed to in the next shot on the left.  That menu can also be found as option (O) in the Tools menu shown in the shot below right.

There are lots of settings that can be made from this port.  Ensure that you are in the CD Import Settings by highlighting the 3rd item on the left column as shown below.  If you are in the right place, you should see ATRAC in at least a couple spots on the right side as below.

The options on the right from top to bottom are
(D) choose CD drive if you have more than 1

Then the capture & playback section
(P) Auto play inserted CD
(I)  Auto import of inserted CD
(T) Auto play and import of CD (for ATRAC only)
(N) Do Nothing on CD insertion

Then options at end of rip
(L) Play CD while importing after start import button pushed (ATRAC only)
(E) Eject CD when import done

Format & Bit rate settings are drop down boxes & not in Japanese
(M) chooses priority for speed or quality but don' show up as any recognizable language-my guess is that the longer gibberish is for better quality.

Then choose OK (left), cancel (middle) or (H) Help (right, & you're on your own there!)

That window will close, then click the large blue button to start import.  Once started, the percentage completed will be displayed at the bottom edge of X-App.  Immediately to the right of the percentage is a white suspend/cancel button.

Is this stuff helping anyone out there?
Is this very similar to SonicStage?

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #66 of 182
Hello!  I've been considering buying the Japan model since there isn't a 64gb model in the US, but my only concern is the language settings.  Do you happen to know if everything in the Walkman is set to Japanese and can be easily changed to English?  Or is it the same as if I were buying one in the US?  I know it might seem like a silly question, but I've never bought a Japan version of anything and I want to know if it will present any problems that a US version wouldn't have.  I just don't want to settle for the 32gb when there's a 64gb available.
Thanks! :)
-Omar

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #67 of 182
Quote:
Hello!  I've been considering buying the Japan model since there isn't a 64gb model in the US, but my only concern is the language settings.  Do you happen to know if everything in the Walkman is set to Japanese and can be easily changed to English?  Or is it the same as if I were buying one in the US?  I know it might seem like a silly question, but I've never bought a Japan version of anything and I want to know if it will present any problems that a US version wouldn't have.  I just don't want to settle for the 32gb when there's a 64gb available.
Thanks! :)
-Omar

Omar.... soon as you turn it on there will be a little icon in Japanese, you click on that and the it ask you if you want English or Japanese.. click on English & hey presto.

Read what 'Now' and others have put and follow the instructions... I've go the SonicStage route which means I have to download album-art then load it on to every track & album if I want art... if you just want mp3-320k you're ok to use MediaGo... that'll sort everything out.

ps.... it's worth it & the hastle.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #68 of 182
Now What:

Is this stuff helping anyone out there?
Is this very similar to SonicStage?

I know it's helping Fortis and Turok has mentioned it... so I'd guess its helping lots & Fortis has told me it's similar to using SonicStage.

For me it's not similar to SonicStage as there's 'no sheep jumping over fences'... that's what I call loading up album art onto every track
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #69 of 182
Quote:

I know it's helping Fortis and Turok has mentioned it... so I'd guess its helping lots & Fortis has told me it's similar to using SonicStage.

For me it's not similar to SonicStage as there's 'no sheep jumping over fences'... that's what I call loading up album art onto every track
wink_face.gif

Thanks OK.   Now that the most important stuff has been posted for X-App use, I think I'll wait for questions & discussions instead of further detailed translation/how to posts.
Cheers

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #70 of 182
X-App & Classical music

Besides loading up the WM, I also use X-App to load my CDs onto hard drives for convenience and less CD clutter.  With classical music, that means multiple CDs by different artists of the same composer's music.  The CD title and track names will often be identical.  This led to a problem yesterday.  I loaded a popular piece onto X-App, but it never appeared in the library. I forced it onto X-App a second and third time, but it still didn't show up.  I thought I had screwed up the program by inserting a CD while it was moving files from PC to WM, so I uninstalled & re-installed X-App (which doesn't lose the library, BTW). Still AWOL.  Finally found that it had merged the 3 sets of tracks into another CD of the same music already in the library while keeping the 1st one's artwork.

I deleted the merged album and loaded them in opposite order. Got two separate albums in the library with proper artwork. But despite loading them into the WM individually, I got one merged album with one artwork on the WM!  
angry_face.gif
  Deleted the Frankenstein CD and then changed the title, genre and a couple track names.  That finally gave me two proper copies.  I'm pretty sure just changing the title name would have done the trick since I had a 3rd CD of the same music with a different title, but I never got a threeesome album.
I don't know what MediaGo or WMP would have done.  3 unknown albums maybe?
wink_face.gif

X-App/Gracenote finds multiple or no artwork choices more often in classical music, likely due to the multiple re-releases and versions of the same title. But it does give you a window to deal with the multiples, so it's no big problem.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #71 of 182
Quote:
Thanks OK.   Now that the most important stuff has been posted for X-App use, I think I'll wait for questions & discussions instead of further detailed translation/how to posts.
Cheers

Now... you have helped create what I deem as a 'legacy' thread... yours, Fortis & others help has been invaluable in helping others... cheers truly
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #72 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Wha

3 unknown albums maybe?
wink_face.gif

I do something similar on SonicStage... If I've got say a triple 'live' album and only want certain songs off the cd's I re-title them so each title, genre & artist all match it then puts them all in same folder/album, I then re-tag the tracks numerically... I also do this with albums where I only want one or two tracks... but then I have to use my own album title and put 'various artist' in 'artist' box, so I end up with song title only, gotta find a way of fixing the artist name on track. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #73 of 182
Quote:

... I also do this with albums where I only want one or two tracks... but then I have to use my own album title and put 'various artist' in 'artist' box, so I end up with song title only, gotta find a way of fixing the artist name on track. 

So..., are you saying you group tracks off a bunch of albums and merge them into one album?  Isn't that like a playlist? (which I've only made accidentally so far)

I just tried WMP, but can change the artist only at album level so far. If you are desperate, maybe you could make a bunch of 1 track albums, change the artist, then change the album title to merge them.    Don't make me load MGo again to check that.
wink_face.gif

X-App lets you change Properties at track level.  In SS library-is there a little triangle at each album to let you open up to a list of tracks? If so, right click a track and see if you get a menu including Properties the way XApp does.

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #74 of 182
Quote:
X-App & Classical music

I deleted the merged album and loaded them in opposite order. Got two separate albums in the library with proper artwork. But despite loading them into the WM individually, I got one merged album with one artwork on the WM!  
angry_face.gif
  Deleted the Frankenstein CD and then changed the title, genre and a couple track names.  That finally gave me two proper copies.  I'm pretty sure just changing the title name would have done the trick since I had a 3rd CD of the same music with a different title, but I never got a threesome album.

Updating post 70:

Found a 4th CD of the same music & decided to try my luck.  Gracenote gave me four choices (as text) so I picked the shortest one. Despite having the same title as one of yesterday's troublemakers, XApp kept the 2 albums separate.  Then I deleted the new album and tried again, this time choosing a different Gracenote option.  This time the new CD got merged with the existing one. Started over with my original Gracenote choice & got a separate album.  Maybe Gracenote is part of the problem. Yesterday's 2nd album was given artwork for an entirely different artist.  Lots of track titles seem to match, but this situation is rare enough that I won't try to figure out the problem.  
      Next time I have such similar albums, I'll copy 1 track only of the 2nd album & see what if anything needs to be done to get separate albums.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #75 of 182
D'oh!   Didn't know I could do that with album art!

Once your album is loaded on the WM, you can add, delete or change the abum art. Go to the album view of your library (In music player-Press the library icon, then the album view).  Hold your finger on the desired album for a few seconds.  A box pops up to let you Throw (move files by WiFi) , Add cover art, or Delete cover art. Tap Add cover art to add or change it.  You are then taken to the Pick screen.  It may take a few moments to populate this screen with picture files that you previously dragged and dropped into the WM Picture folder. Tap on the desired artwork and follow the on screen directions.  The art will be added or replace the existing art on all tracks.

Luckily for me, I've been keeping an album art folder on my PC when XApp didn't find any or what I preferred. I dragged that whole file into the WM. Doesn't take up too much room compared to music.

OK-Guy, I'm so sorry I didn't stumble onto this before...
frown.gif

Of course, it's much better to have your music app do this automatically when you rip CDs.  But if you somehow lose it later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back