Sony Walkman 'Japanese Versions' – Help for Dummies thread
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #92 of 182
Quote:
Now... with regard to your Z1070 & mp3... can you upload mp3's via MediaGo and still have album-art?

I couldn't remember if I had used MGo with Z1070, so I tried it today.  MGo lists AAC, FLAC & MP3 as rip formats, so I tried all 3. To get info from Gracenote, I would highlight a track in MGo AUDIO CD view & right click for the Gracenote option.  All 4 CDs I used got art & other info in that manner.  All downloaded to Z1070 with art & info intact.  All 3 formats also played, which surprised me since I didn't think the 1070 did FLAC.  I'll have to check things out later to see if there was some conversion done or if it's just my memory or lack of understanding.  The 3 formats are called MP3 & MP4 when I look at them using Windows Explorer  and all were put in the Music folder in the WM as MGo usually does it.

If you like any of those formats, MGo works very well.  Of course, I only did 4 CDs.  If I did a few dozen, perhaps there would have been a couple that had problems due to bad info on the CDs or some other unexpected difficulty.

While checking things out, I found another variation on the on board WM cover art installer.  When listening to a track, pressing the settings icon (lower right of WM screen; 4 horizontal lines) brings up these choices:  Add cover art, Delete cover art, Add lyrics, Delete lyrics, Settings.  This 2nd Settings leads to the Player EQ settings.

This route to Add cover art lets you add cover art in the same way as in Posts 75 & 88 above, but also allows adding different cover art to different tracks in case you really want to get fancy.
Cheers

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #93 of 182
Now... you're a superstar mate for doing that... I'll do a comparison with mp3-320k v Atrac lossless this weekend... though now you found it plays Flac that could give me real options.

(I pm'ed you earlier btw)

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #94 of 182
Quote:
I couldn't remember if I had used MGo with Z1070, so I tried it today.  MGo lists AAC, FLAC & MP3 as rip formats, so I tried all 3. To get info from Gracenote, I would highlight a track in MGo AUDIO CD view & right click for the Gracenote option.  All 4 CDs I used got art & other info in that manner.  All downloaded to Z1070 with art & info intact.  All 3 formats also played, which surprised me since I didn't think the 1070 did FLAC.  I'll have to check things out later to see if there was some conversion done or if it's just my memory or lack of understanding.  The 3 formats are called MP3 & MP4 when I look at them using Windows Explorer  and all were put in the Music folder in the WM as MGo usually does it.

It didn't seem right that FLAC was working in Z1070 & that Windows Explorer was calling it MP3.  My receiver's display confirmed that the files were MP3.  MediaGo's online support Q&A said:

Can Media Go convert my files to work with my device?
Yes, Media Go can determine the best settings for your device and encode your media for optimal performance before transferring to the device.

Great. Every software company knows what is best for me!  The MGo default settings when used with the WM Z1070 are to convert any file for which the WM has no codec into MP3 at 128 kbps. If you have MGo (mine is version 2.1), you can adjust the conversion to AAC or MP3 as follows:  Right click on the WM section of the leftmost column & choose Device Preferences in the box that pops up. That choice is also on the bottom of the screen if you have selected the WM view port already.  Then choose Media Format to set your preferences (such as 320 kbps).  If you check the box that's labeled "Only encode audio when required by device" it should leave files accepted by the WM unconverted.  Then choose Apply followed by OK.

So although MGo rips CDs to FLAC. it can't load them as FLAC in the Z1070.  I had a trial copy of PowerAmp that would play FLAC if I dragged & dropped files (the only ones I had were HiRes downloads so I didn't use MGo).  I don't know if the presence of PowerAmp would let MGo load them onto a WM without conversion-my trial ran out.  One way or the other, an app like PowerAmp plus MGo should allow FLAC I believe.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #96 of 182
If I am not wrong,  the Sony  NW-Z1070 does not support lossless FLAC & APE and it costs USD$500. It doe not has Micro SD card slot for memory expansion. I don't think it worths  that much as I know Sony has never made a good MP3 player.

Alternative, I guess Samsung Galaxy Player (4.3" display) that support FLAC  with Micro SD card slot and it cost less than half of NW-Z1070 might be value for money.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #97 of 182
If value for money is your priority, definitely go for the Galaxy. If SQ is your priority, the Z is the easy choice. 
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #98 of 182
I just bought a Z1070 and I use Media Go. The album art and everything is fine except for the playlists. I create a playlist in Media Go, I chose ad to - walkman and it uploads the pla file to the playlist folder in my walkman. All is fine up to this point. But when I chose the playlist view, nothing comes up. Did you guys figure out how to create playlists on this device? 
Thnx.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #100 of 182
I installed SonicStage and if you create a playlist there and transfer it to the device, it works. But the media files in the playlist should also be uploaded by SonicStage. You cannot upload the songs by Media Go and create a playlist by SonicStage!
This is very frustrating. I don't want to install poweramp or any third party player. I was very disapointed when I realized that I can't use this with Windows MP, which I am familiar with. Media Go is OK, but I can't use SonicStage. No playlist it is then.
If anyone knows a way, please let me know.
Thnx.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #102 of 182
I can't. I don't know what to drag & drop. SonicStage puts everything in a folder but it is impossible to decipher what is what. It changes the file names of the songs as well. I have no idea where it stores the playlists. I tried to find it to figure out the format, but I couldn't. As a last effort, I'll try playlist formats other than pla. Maybe it will recognize one if I'm lucky.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #103 of 182
I did it! And it was so easy I can't believe. Media Go places the playlists in the PLAYLIST folder in .pla format. All you have to do is go there and change the file extension from .pla to .m3u8 You don't even have to modify the file. Cool :)))

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #104 of 182
I'm thinking of getting the z1070, and I may have missed this, but on first startup, I'm assuming it's in japanese, how do you set the language to english? 

and once that's done is there any residual menu's etc in japanese or other 'language' related issues?

i just want my music on there so it seems that i can simply drag and drop to the 'music' folder.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #105 of 182
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the z1070, and I may have missed this, but on first startup, I'm assuming it's in japanese, how do you set the language to english? 

and once that's done is there any residual menu's etc in japanese or other 'language' related issues?

i just want my music on there so it seems that i can simply drag and drop to the 'music' folder.

Setting it to English is very easy. When you turn it on for the first time, it asks for the language, then all menus are in English. (There is one android app that is in [size=10pt]Japanese[/size], but I couldn't figure out what it's for.) You won't have any language related issues, but I doubt that dragging and dropping will work. At first, I tried Windows MP to transfer music files. WMP put everything in the MUSIC folder, but then the device could not see anything to play. (Strange) I use Media Go now. That way, everything is in order and you get the album art as well. As you notice from my post, you can create playlists easily. So I suggest using Media Go.
The only drawback of this device (like all Walkmans or Walkmen) is that it doesn't support gapless playback. Also, if you will pay $500 for a DAP, you'd better use it with some solid headphones instead of the supplied earphones. I use it with Ultrasone Pro 2900 and am very satisfied with the sound quality. 
I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back