Sony Walkman 'Japanese Versions' – Help for Dummies thread
Mar 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

OK-Guy

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread is for people ‘seeking help’ who own Japanese versions of Sony Walkman's.

It started with NW-Z1070 64gb (Japan Version), then onto the F807, F887 & the ZX1... see the latter part of the thread for the newer Walkman's... ask any question about any model & we'll try to help.

Original post:- 

Those who may be encountering 'Set-Up & Transfer' problems with this version of the Walkman Z-Series:-

NOTE: If you own another version of the Walkman Z-Series or are pretty nifty around a PC, none of this will affect you.

Questions:-

1- I have just downloaded Sonicstage 4.3 how do I upload music from a CD into Attrac format ?

2 - How do I transfer files from my PC to Sonicstage ?

3 - How do I transfer from WAV to Atrrac in Sonicstage ?

4 - How can I delete the pre-loaded music, video’s etc that come with the Z1070 ?

5 - How can I upload missing Album Art to Sonicstage so it shows on the Z1070 screen ?

6 - How do I use Windows-Explorer to transfer music & album art to Z1070 (step by step guide please) ?

This is what I have found so far (I’m crap at PC stuff but I’ve had some good advice from fellow Head-fi’ers)…..

MediaGo is a bit of a waste with the Z1070 (other versions it’s a boon) as it fails to connect properly with the Z1070 in transfer processes.

If you had another version of Z-Series and installed MediaGo - uninstall MediaGo before you download Sonicstage as there is interference between the Sony programs.

Turn off your Anti-Virus before downloading Sonicstage or you may be missing a ‘kernal’ as mine denied access to it….. I uninstalled then re-installed Sonicstage to be on the safe side.

I think a lot of the problems I am getting with my Z1070 (apart from my lack of technical PC knowledge), is in the Z1070’s set-up folder….. I thought (silly me), that by setting the Z1070 to English on start-up that everything else would follow suit unfortunately the set-up menu is in Japanese, I have had a few go’s at ‘click & hope’ but I get so far then it all goes pear-shaped….. I will do some Screen-Shots later of the Set-Up Menu and hopefully one of our fellow Head-Fi members can help with translating things.

Thanking fellow Head-Fi'ers for all their help & advice in advance.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 182

I don't have the 'Z' but I've had SonicStage 4.3 for years so the methods for importing etc are the same.

1. Access the menu at the top of SonicStage, and select  > music source > import a CD. You'll get the option to import in Atrac and to choose the bitrate.

2. Open SonicStage and drag music straight into the library from your music folder.

3. Select tracks you want to convert, right click and choose 'convert format'.

4. Not sure.

5. Drag the artwork onto the blank cover (while in SonicStage and in album view.) You'll get asked if you want to assign the artwork to the whole album. Click 'yes'.

6. Open your music folder and drag everything you want into the SonicStage library... isn't that the same question as number 2?

Tip: Make sure the settings are correct and that files are not set to convert to a lower format during transfer!

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 182

Quote:
6. Open your music folder and drag everything you want into the SonicStage library... isn't that the same question as number 2?

cheers for that Soozie very appreciated indeedy..... with regard to Q.6 I'm on about tranfering from Sonicstage via Windows Explorer to Z1070.... it was all so much easier recording you music to cassette or mini-disc, now I have to do about a zillion things just to get music onto a Dap.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 182

Quote:
with regard to Q.6 I'm on about tranfering from Sonicstage via Windows Explorer to Z1070....

Same as answer 2 then. Just open up SonicStage and your music folder, and then drag everything you want right into the library. Transferring a lot of music takes quite a bit of time via SS, so just set it up and go do something else! Oh, and be careful not to delete the files from your library once you've transferred them to your dap. Although you get the option to 'transfer files to library' from your dap.... if the files aren't there (because you deleted them) they can't be transferred and your music is gone. Unless that's changed, but I doubt it. I deleted about 7GB from my computer, thinking I could copy it back from my A808 if I needed to, but I couldn't. Tough lesson to learn, and pretty stupid of me to do it twice
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 182

ok on this screen-capture I click on the 'left' button - that led me to the next S-C....

The button on the right is 'cancel'..... I need advise on which one to click-on the one on the 'left' or the 'middle' one

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 182
Hmmm. My SS looks like this:

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 182

Ok I figured anything with the (N) means yes as it led me two the two following stages.....

now in this SC I click on the right hand side button and get a 'error message saying 'windows cannot install language'.... click-on the 'middle' button and it goes into set-up installation... no progress  this way either as same error message appears

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 182

OK I'm gonna leave set-up alone for the time being.... my next riveting question for Z1070 owner is.....

Which folder/files do I delete to get rid of the bundled music (it's not in 'music' folder).... I kinda think it's 'OMGAUDIO'..... any thoughts?

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 182

Quote:

ok on this screen-capture I click on the 'left' button - that led me to the next S-C....

The button on the right is 'cancel'..... I need advise on which one to click-on the one on the 'left' or the 'middle' one

i've not come across that software. how did you get it up and running and what is it for?

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 182

Quote:
yea ignore that. i just connected the 1070 to the laptop and dropped music into the 'music' folder shown in your screengrab
smile.gif

yeah that exactly what I used to do with my old Walkman.... what I never did though was upload the album covers... if I drag & drop' the Album from Sonicstage with the Album cover does it show up in WM-Z?

you figured how to delete the bundled music yet?

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you figured how to delete the bundled music yet?

no and it is bugging me a little. the bundled tracks do not show up in the stock android music player. plus i can't work out how to get playlists sorted. if i create a playlist in mediago and send it to the walkman it shows up in the android music player but not the stock player, which is what i am after. atrac files do not show up in the android player so i cant use that for playlists that contain atrac files
confused.gif
the only playlist i see that i do not want is the sample music playlist in the stock player. i'm sure i got playlists sorted on the 1060 but cant figure out why it is not working. perhaps turok has our answers!

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 182

Quote:
no and it is bugging me a little. the bundled tracks do not show up in the stock android music player. plus i can't work out how to get playlists sorted. if i create a playlist in mediago and send it to the walkman it shows up in the android music player but not the stock player, which is what i am after. atrac files do not show up in the android player so i cant use that for playlists that contain atrac files
confused.gif
the only playlist i see that i do not want is the sample music playlist in the stock player. i'm sure i got playlists sorted on the 1060 but cant figure out why it is not working. perhaps turok has our answers!

ok probs I'm having now is with album art but I've got music.... MediaGo can't be the same as the Japan version as it's not recognising certain things particular to the Z1070 (why I messed about with the above yesterday)

I now upload a CD direct to Sonicstage and then convert to atrac3plus (I've unistalled mediago)..... you may have to lable certain CD's as SS cant find artist .... I then use Sonicstage to transfer direct to the WM-Z..... the stock music/tracks will be shown in the split-screen I just deleted them from there (they're now completely gone).

think I may of found a solution to the album art problem though I'd rather not use Andriod to upload it, if you download it, let me know if you can download to the PC and transfer over.... I'm not trusting myself with Andriod yet, I've been in airplane-mode on both my Z's since I've owned them, that stuff scares me

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.birbeck.android.coverart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back