New firmware update available for the Z(2.03)and F(1.13):

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/update/index.html

Enjoy:)

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #170 of 182
cheers mate, appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #171 of 182
My review of the latest 2.03 firmware update of the Z here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/3900#post_10496928

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #173 of 182
Hey guys,
A proud NW-Z1070 owner for two years here :) I use Ultrasone Pro 2900 headphones and the result is amazing.
I was just wondering is ZX1 worth the money? Can anyone compare the sound quality of the two?

Thanks.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #175 of 182
No, not actually. I'm pleased with my Z1070.
As far as I can see, 128GB memory space of ZX1 is very appealing. And there's a big question mark on my mind about this 'HD Audio'
I guess it means that the player has a 24 bit DAC. But since all my music files are 16bit, will it work as an up-scaling player? ...and even if so, would it make a difference? Frankly I don't hear any difference with my 24 bit DAC in my hi-fi system while listening to CD's.

As to your point about getting a DAC/amp, I'm also puzzled. Since the output of the walkman is analog, how will a DAC help with the sound quality? Can you even feed an analog line to a  DAC?  The sound level is also good for me, so why would I need an external amp?

Thank you very much. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #176 of 182
Anyone still using their Z1070's out there? New firmware 2.04 is out !

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #177 of 182
Yep I
Anyone still using their Z1070's out there? New firmware 2.04 is out !

Yep, me!

Bought a second one this year as a backup and no interest in buying a zx1 or new A series as I doubt it would increase my pleasure of the specific sound(warmer/analogue)the Z delivers.

2.04 update only sorts out better bluetooth connectivity I guess..No other changes noted yet in this update. Did Sony ever keep updating one of it's players this long, 3 years, after initial release?Pretty great indeed!

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #178 of 182
Exactly. 128GB memory is tempting, but imagine my disappointment if I buy the zx1 and then I find that it doesn't even sound as good as my Z. Not worth $600 to put to the test :)
And I don't understand why they started pitching the HD audio angle. It is established that 24 bit audio does not make any difference when it comes to playback sound quality. 
Anyways, until Sony releases a Walkman that supports gapless playback and sounds at least as good as the Z series, I too am not buying anything new :)

Cheers. 
Yep I
Yep, me!

Bought a second one this year as a backup and no interest in buying a zx1 or new A series as I doubt it would increase my pleasure of the specific sound(warmer/analogue)the Z delivers.

2.04 update only sorts out better bluetooth connectivity I guess..No other changes noted yet in this update. Did Sony ever keep updating one of it's players this long, 3 years, after initial release?Pretty great indeed!

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #179 of 182
Hello to OK-Guy and others reading this thread !  I haven't been on Head-Fi for some time, so I thought I'd post an update.  Having been out of touch, this could be old news.

Sony has updated X-App, which I still use extensively.  Version 6 is now available.  It accepts DSD and FLAC files now.  What it actually loads into your device will depend on the device, of course.  Media Go also uses such formats.  I have purchased DSD format albums from acousticsounds and then been able to tell X-App where to find the files succesfully (I limit its access to certain folders).

I found out today that X-App can be migrated into Media Go, but I will continue to keep them separate on my PC for now. I haven't investigated this recently, but I believe it is easier to use MGo with US WM and X-App with Japanese WM.  

Going to the Media Go website provides a simpler path to the X-App website if you can't read Japanese, but you would like to use X-App    Go to mediago.sony.com (for my location on the planet this added enu/features to the address). From there, click on the firle formats tab.  Just above a shaded horizontal bar labeled AUDIO there is a "click here" link  (or similar in your language).  Click that to go to another page with a white box decribing how to migrate files to MGo.  There are two "click here" choices at the bottom of the box-click on the 2nd from the bottom one (it includes the name  X-Application in the sentence).  This will take you to a Sony Japan page in Japanese giving you a chance to download X-App (the down arrow over a 3 sided box icon) or to view instructions for using X-App.

You can translate the instruction pages using Google Chrome or other page translators.  Firefox has some translator add-ons (search firefox translator add ons).

If you download X-App on a non English PC you will need to follow instructions in post 1294 of http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review which is on page 87 . You might also want to check post 24 and subsequent posts of this thread.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #180 of 182
Hi,

I hope someone here can help me.

I have installed the x-application (latest version) on my laptop in order to transfer some oma files to my ZX1. However the app doesn't see or recognise my player.

Plugged in my old MZNH1 mini disc recorder for fun's sake and it recognised it straight away. I could even transfer some files accross.

Does X-app support new Sony walkmans?

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back