Sony Walkman 'Japanese Versions' – Help for Dummies thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #136 of 182
ok the update means you can now play Flac files and I believe that means gapless for that file type... you probably missed the previous update as Sony rushed this one out a few days later which restored the bass depth, the highs have been tweaked slightly they're better defined imo.... Purk is the guy to ask, he's real helpful on the technical side.

I use SonicStage to upload my music but this will mean your uploading music into Sony's own format Atrac... I'm going to re-rip all my music into both Flac & Wav in the new year and will probably use DB-Poweramp to do it.

Now-What is a genius at what are the best programs etc. so I'd pm him on that topic... if all else fails hunt down Turokrocks, hth.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #137 of 182
I can rip the CD's in Wav using windows media player, or in FLAC using MediaGo. If FLAC is also gapless, do you think there is any benefit re-ripping them in FLAC instead of Wav? (I also use Media Go to upload the files. I treid SonicStage but unless they updated it, it was a nightmare for me to find my way around.) 
Thank you very much. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #138 of 182
I had nightmares when I first started using SonicStage but I'm used to it now so it'll suffice for the time being.

The advantage of using Flac over Wav is file-size, some people prefer Wav over Flac but it's debatable which is best, you save on memory using Flac.... I never knew you could upload into MediaGo as I only use that when I know there's a firmware update, I wondered why my Hi-Res file uploaded straight into it, think I may have a go at uploading stuff, cheers for that (might be asking for your advice lol).

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #139 of 182
Your welcome.
I had to do a bit of search for it too myself. First of all, MediaGo will convert the files to 320 kbs MP3 when you want to upload them, whether you want it or not.  (This drove me crazy.) The trick is, you have to highlight the files you want to upload, and drag them (by right-click) to the device on the left panel. Let go the mouse and comes a menu where it says "advanced transfer" and you can chose "never convert" :))) Hallelujah  

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #142 of 182
ok the update means you can now play Flac files and I believe that means gapless for that file type... you probably missed the previous update as Sony rushed this one out a few days later which restored the bass depth, the highs have been tweaked slightly they're better defined imo.... Purk is the guy to ask, he's real helpful on the technical side.

I use SonicStage to upload my music but this will mean your uploading music into Sony's own format Atrac... I'm going to re-rip all my music into both Flac & Wav in the new year and will probably use DB-Poweramp to do it.

Now-What is a genius at what are the best programs etc. so I'd pm him on that topic... if all else fails hunt down Turokrocks, hth.

Can somebody maybe put up a download link to the Japanese 2.01 firmware? Somehow I only manage to find the old 2.0 firmware..thanks!

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #144 of 182
Found it here: http://www.sony.jp/walkman/update/

Mediago didn't do it for me,maybe because I have been refusing any update from Gingerbread till now:wink:

My second NWZ, due in any moment,will be upgraded though as i am curious for the new sound after the May update. Hope it has same bass depth as in the original Gingerbread with a bit more detail.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #145 of 182
  Now-What... have you seen & tried this?... is it the same as the Japanese version you use for the Z1070?... any advice would be great

http://www.sony.net/Products/x-Application/eu/x-Application_Launcher/

Ah, so this thread has revived!  Greetings OK!  No I haven't tried this.  Looking at the link, it says it is a trail version.  Perhaps they are gauging interest for an English version of the Japanese X-App.  Since X-App is my favorite software, period, I think it would be nice for others to get an English version.  I'll stick with the Japanese version.  It holds a certain "stick it up your app, English software writing pigs!" charm for me.
biggrin.gif
  I still use the often irritating MGo for my US version Z.

If I find the time, I might take a look at this trial version and report back...

Happy New Year to all !

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #146 of 182
  Ah, so this thread has revived!  Greetings OK!  No I haven't tried this.  Looking at the link, it says it is a trail version.  Perhaps they are gauging interest for an English version of the Japanese X-App.  Since X-App is my favorite software, period, I think it would be nice for others to get an English version.  I'll stick with the Japanese version.  It holds a certain "stick it up your app, English software writing pigs!" charm for me.
biggrin.gif
  I still use the often irritating MGo for my US version Z.

If I find the time, I might take a look at this trial version and report back...

Happy New Year to all !

Now... great to see you posting & a Happy New Year to you as well.

I was hoping you'd send me a English version of the X-App, the 'Now X-App', has a great ring to it lol.

I now got me a ZX1 & F887 but I miss my Z1070 so will probably invest in another before they're all gone.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the X-App.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #147 of 182
  Your welcome.
I had to do a bit of search for it too myself. First of all, MediaGo will convert the files to 320 kbs MP3 when you want to upload them, whether you want it or not.  (This drove me crazy.) The trick is, you have to highlight the files you want to upload, and drag them (by right-click) to the device on the left panel. Let go the mouse and comes a menu where it says "advanced transfer" and you can chose "never convert" :))) Hallelujah  

After doing this, have you looked at the files in your device to verify that they weren't converted to MP3 anyway?  Perhaps going to Preferences in the Tools menu is another way to do this.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #148 of 182

Now... great to see you posting & a Happy New Year to you as well.

I was hoping you'd send me a English version of the X-App, the 'Now X-App', has a great ring to it lol.

Sorry, no Now X-App !     
beerchug.gif

ZX1 ?  What's that?
confused_face_2.gif
   I just heard of those today for the 1st time!  The world's been turning without me.

My Media Go is asking if I want to upgrade to version 2.6 with uncompressed FLAC and DSD 5.6 MHz. Does ZX1 allow DSD?   Sheesh, I need to retire so I'll have time to keep up...

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #149 of 182
ZX1 is the new Sony flagship.... you may want to keep your Z1070 as well.

It is better than the WM-Z in almost every area but it doesn't have  the soul of the Z1070 if you get my drift... on certain genres the WM-Z outclasses the ZX1 because it has less detail which makes it such a joy with older recordings from the 60/70's.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #150 of 182
the Sony PHA-2 allows for DSD playback, not too sure about the ZX1.

the ZX1 has the new S-Master HX amp, think the player itself needs slight tweaking but that's subjective to SQ.

Changed the thread title to encompass all Japanese Walkmans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back