Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,481 of 8,232
My understanding is that both FW's were designed with the WM1A in mind

Hey, that's not correct - the modified firmware were not designed with the WM1A in mind.

Imagine WM1A and WM1Z both with stock firmware, something like this:
1612442865657.png

And this is how WM1A/WM1Z would both look like if both would have DMP-WM1 FEv2/Project Z:
1612442915747.png

Because that software part is now common, which makes up for about 90-95% of the difference between a stock 1A and a stock 1Z, it means that the only difference is now the different hardware parts.

I was thinking Project Z for the WM1Z, but wondering if that might be redundant or overkill, since it's a WM1Z I'll be adding it to, rather than a WM1A?

With a tuning mod, a WM1Z would still have different sounding bass/soundstage for example, and a WM1A would be more neutral sounding, without that wide extending soundstage of the WM1Z for example. However, with one of these two custom firmware, these main differences are gone, so Project Z on a WM1Z wouldn't sound 2x warm for example, when compared to a WM1A with Project Z.

This would be a good representation on how the custom firmware works on these players, in regards to the sound quality:
1612443723037.png

And this would be one for how tuning mods work:
1612444170014.png

All this comes down to what I've been saying lately - these custom firmware versions are not working like tuning mods.

Am probably going to use DMP WM1 FE v2 on my hardware-modded WM1A, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the DMP WM1 FE v2 vs Project Z :D

It would be best if you would manage to try them both and see what you like.

I have a Nayparm extreme modded WM1A and a stock WM1Z.
The WM1A is currently running DMP WM1 II FW (according to the 'unit information')
The WM1Z is running DMP WM1 (version 1 I assume, since it doesn't say 'II' like on the WM1A).

I think that Project Z would be a treat on the Nayparm hardware modded WM1A, but it also depends if you like warmer sound signatures or not.

As WM1Z has a little better hardware than a stock WM1A, you could maybe use it with DMP-WM1 FEv2. Ironically, this would make the 1A be the warmer player, but I would say that Project Z would surely benefit from your 1A's modded hardware.

My WM1Z running plus is just over 10 hours with 50+% are DSD or hi-res FLAC. Same as you with minimal screen usage but enable Battery Care. Are you only play with 16/44.1 FLAC? I just did a battery calibration, will see if there is any improvement.

When I did the test, I let it play some albums from the beginning of my card, which are mostly 16/44.1 FLACs.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,482 of 8,232
Hey, that's not correct - the modified firmware were not designed with the WM1A in mind.

Imagine WM1A and WM1Z both with stock firmware, something like this:
1612442865657.png

And this is how WM1A/WM1Z would both look like if both would have DMP-WM1 FEv2/Project Z:
1612442915747.png

Because that software part is now common, which makes up for about 90-95% of the difference between a stock 1A and a stock 1Z, it means that the only difference is now the different hardware parts.

With a tuning mod, a WM1Z would still have different sounding bass/soundstage for example, and a WM1A would be more neutral sounding, without that wide extending soundstage of the WM1Z for example. However, with one of these two custom firmware, these main differences are gone, so Project Z on a WM1Z wouldn't sound 2x warm for example, when compared to a WM1A with Project Z.

This would be a good representation on how the custom firmware works on these players, in regards to the sound quality:
1612443723037.png

And this would be one for how tuning mods work:
1612444170014.png

All this comes down to what I've been saying lately - these custom firmware versions are not working like tuning mods.

It would be best if you would manage to try them both and see what you like.

I think that Project Z would be a treat on the Nayparm hardware modded WM1A, but it also depends if you like warmer sound signatures or not.

As WM1Z has a little better hardware than a stock WM1A, you could maybe use it with DMP-WM1 FEv2. Ironically, this would make the 1A be the warmer player, but I would say that Project Z would surely benefit from your 1A's modded hardware.

When I did the test, I let it play some albums from the beginning of my card, which are mostly 16/44.1 FLACs.

Such a helpful and comprehensive reply, thank you so much! And hopefully will be helpful to other Head-Fi'ers too, now or in future :)

Having read all that, I think I'm indeed going to follow your suggestions and put DMP WM1 FE v2 on my WM1Z, and Project Z on my WM1A :D
Oh, and I've just put DMP-300 FE v2 on my ZX300.
I seem to have become something of a Sony (and MrWalkman) fanboy somehow, haha.

Cheers and all the best. Will post some impressions when I get the chance! :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,483 of 8,232
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,485 of 8,232

Sure, but it's gonna take more time.

A50 will be next again, then A40 and A30.

I'm not sure if I want to continue with the ZX300-based port for the A30/A40/A50 though. Sometimes it's buggy (even causing boot loops on certain players), and I would also have to work on about 11 additional releases...

A50: DMP-A50 FEv2 (ZX based, stock-based was already released) & Project Z (stock & ZX based)
A40: DMP-A40 FEv2 (stock & ZX based) & Project Z (stock & ZX based)
A30: DMP-A30 FEv2 (stock & ZX based) & Project Z (stock & ZX based)

With the stock A50-based port, the smaller players will get the FM Radio back, as well as the WM-port line out, for example, as well as the BT Receiver/USB DAC functions, and DSEE AI/DC Phase Linearizer/Vinyl Processor/VPT Surround.

This way, there would be only 5 more:

A50: Project Z
A40: DMP-A40 FEv2 & Project Z
A30: DMP-A30 FEv2 & Project Z

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,486 of 8,232
I just installed Project Z, under Unit Information it shows both Project Z and 3.02, is this correct? Previous FW it didn't have the 3.02.

IMG_3349.JPG

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,487 of 8,232
I just installed Project Z, under Unit Information it shows both Project Z and 3.02, is this correct? Previous FW it didn't have the 3.02.

IMG_3349.JPG

Yes, it's all good.

Did you also install the Project_Z_Ext_Tuning? The player should restart, and the update bar on the player's screen should reach the end before restarting again.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #3,488 of 8,232
Yes, it's all good.

Did you also install the Project_Z_Ext_Tuning? The player should restart, and the update bar on the player's screen should reach the end before restarting again.

Yep! Listened to 2 songs so far, and it definitely sounds different from FE+... will listen for a few hours before more impressions :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #3,489 of 8,232
The info is basically the same, so I'm gonna use the same format.

Project Z (for ZX300)

A custom firmware for the ZX300/ZX300A players, combining
sound characteristics of the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures.

Features:
- a lushy warm, organic, analogue sound signature, with harshless highs, improved
detail retrieval, full and balanced sound, more airy vocals, and a holographic stage presentation
(especially in the Plus mode) - these are some characteristics of both the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures;
- two boot modes: "Classic" and "Plus";
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output;
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1);
- visualizations in sync with the music;
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported;
- showing a battery "charging/needs charging" image when the player cannot turn on anymore if the battery is too low.

Boot modes:
"Classic" (down Hold position at startup) - provides the normal Project Z sound signature;
"Plus" (up Hold position at startup) - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate
and balanced sound, with better controlled bass, improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography,
more present mids), at the expense of additional battery consumption.

• From personal experience, the best sound is achieved with the region J. However, feel free to experiment with other regions as well.

For download and for more info, click here (please read all the info).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,490 of 8,232
Really liked your writeup about the differences in SQ in terms of firmware, MrWalkman. One thing that's been confusing me about the difference between the 1A and 1Z though is exactly what is different hardware wise. It seems like no matter how far the 1A gets taken people still praise the 1Z for something little it does despite it apparently offering only like a 5%-10% increase from the 1A.

So which specific components of the 1Z are different, and how do they affect sound that much? I've seen talk that a modded 1A pretty much surpasses a stock 1Z, so it was my guess the mods essentially replace the hardware that's different with components that are even higher quality. But despite that there will still be people saying the 1Z sits at top. Is it the copper chassis really helping it that much?

The fact that the PCB boards say 1A/1Z on them implying they're essentially the same thing is what makes me feel like they've got to be more similar than people are letting on, whether it be the human nature to always find things different through contrasting things or I don't know what.

We have lots of software talk so someone, go over the hardware :deadhorse:

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,491 of 8,232
Really liked your writeup about the differences in SQ in terms of firmware, MrWalkman. One thing that's been confusing me about the difference between the 1A and 1Z though is exactly what is different hardware wise. It seems like no matter how far the 1A gets taken people still praise the 1Z for something little it does despite it apparently offering only like a 5%-10% increase from the 1A.

So which specific components of the 1Z are different, and how do they affect sound that much? I've seen talk that a modded 1A pretty much surpasses a stock 1Z, so it was my guess the mods essentially replace the hardware that's different with components that are even higher quality. But despite that there will still be people saying the 1Z sits at top. Is it the copper chassis really helping it that much?

The fact that the PCB boards say 1A/1Z on them implying they're essentially the same thing is what makes me feel like they've got to be more similar than people are letting on, whether it be the human nature to always find things different through contrasting things or I don't know what.

We have lots of software talk so someone, go over the hardware :deadhorse:
Feel free to find everything about your Sony Walkman here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/
Thank you #Redcarmoose for link.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #3,492 of 8,232
Currently listening to this, via BT Receiver from my smartphone, to my Sony Z7M2 via the balanced connector, volume at around 80 on high gain:​

Everything is warm and very clear sounding, and I really enjoy the more present lows in general, especially that bass. :boom:

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,493 of 8,232
@MrWalkman , so with your latest FWs , the sonic/quality difference between wm1a and wm1z is just 5-10% ?

did i understand correctly ?

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #3,494 of 8,232
@MrWalkman , so with your latest FWs , the sonic/quality difference between wm1a and wm1z is just 5-10% ?

did i understand correctly ?

Exactly, somewhere around that. We could say 5-15%, just to have a bigger error margin for example.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #3,495 of 8,232
Such a helpful and comprehensive reply, thank you so much! And hopefully will be helpful to other Head-Fi'ers too, now or in future :)

Having read all that, I think I'm indeed going to follow your suggestions and put DMP WM1 FE v2 on my WM1Z, and Project Z on my WM1A :D
Oh, and I've just put DMP-300 FE v2 on my ZX300.
I seem to have become something of a Sony (and MrWalkman) fanboy somehow, haha.

Cheers and all the best. Will post some impressions when I get the chance! :)
I'm planning on doing the same. But since I have 2 1A's I'll compare FEv2 and Project Z on them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back