Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 3, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #316 of 8,230
I mean, after your A55L got its radio back, what a shame to lose it again...

It's interesting that nobody thought of changing the region to possibly get FM radio/an additional missing feature working before. The firmware is the same for A55L and other A55 players, so the region had to be it, and it seems it was.

besides, every phone can do radio

That would be nice, but later Samsung flagships, including S10e which I own, doesn't have FM radio :frowning2:

A55's DSEE doesn't apply to radio right

I think no effects are applying to the FM radio, but the general sound signature should apply.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #317 of 8,230
Did a bit more A/B testing between the DMP & WM1Z DMP-WM1...

It's very close. However the DMP-Z1 does still have the edge in a few key areas to my ears. The soundstage expansion and instrument separation is still superior on the DMP. The DMP has an incredibly black background, and unfortunately the WM1Z just can’t replicate it. The DMP-WM1 sounds more intimate, appearing more forward and in your head, compared to the DMP which sounds more open and holographic.

There’s also a certain naturalness and “completeness” to each instrument with the DMP. The DMP-WM1 can sound a little forced and digital in comparison.

But in terms of overall tonality, the DMP-WM1 is pretty much identical. It’s remarkable what can be done with firmware. Plus the ability to have the DMP tonality and use sensitive IEM’s with the WM1Z’s lower impedance is a game changer.

These differences aren’t huge and it took fairly concentrated listening to pick up. If you just want to enjoy your music with the incredible dmp sound, then the DMP-WM1 is all you’ll ever need. I’m sure hardware mods would close the gap even further. :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #318 of 8,230
Did a bit more A/B testing between the DMP & WM1Z DMP-WM1...

It's very close. However the DMP-Z1 does still have the edge in a few key areas to my ears. The soundstage expansion and instrument separation is still superior on the DMP. The DMP has an incredibly black background, and unfortunately the WM1Z just can’t replicate it. The DMP-WM1 sounds more intimate, appearing more forward and in your head, compared to the DMP which sounds more open and holographic.

There’s also a certain naturalness and “completeness” to each instrument with the DMP. The DMP-WM1 can sound a little forced and digital in comparison.

But in terms of overall tonality, the DMP-WM1 is pretty much identical. It’s remarkable what can be done with firmware. Plus the ability to have the DMP tonality and use sensitive IEM’s with the WM1Z’s lower impedance is a game changer.

These differences aren’t huge and it took fairly concentrated listening to pick up. If you just want to enjoy your music with the incredible dmp sound, then the DMP-WM1 is all you’ll ever need. I’m sure hardware mods would close the gap even further. :)
I did 3 hours of listening very intensely.I like how it shows that everyone has different experiences per what they perceive. Cheers to that!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #319 of 8,230
@Maxx134 you just simply gave me a new idea, I will try to retune this new “system” if I don’t like it

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #321 of 8,230
That was August, now it's October, what do you mean by 'Sony will be knocking real soon'? Anyway, this is a win-win through and through. There's nowhere to knock on.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #322 of 8,230
C'mon. We all know the most important thing about this is the cool orange logo when you power up! :wink: Seriously, a great bonus is that I had several album covers that I just could not find the proper file type for. Now bingo, all my album art shows up.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #324 of 8,230
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #327 of 8,230

Look, now Japan market is talking about your mod, Sony will be knocking real soon.....
Someone on a Chinese forum for Walkman went as far as to make a tool called 'IceCream1.1' to streamline the installation of custom FWs. I noticed they used some of FWs made by @MrWalkman. They even had an option to change firmware to DMP-Z1, which cannot be the one made by @MrWalkman because the picture was posted last month.

IceCream1.1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #329 of 8,230
I mentioned it in a post somewhere that with the first installation, the player should go into update mode and restart, and then you'll see "DMP-Z1" and "DMP-WM1" in the Unit information screen.

If this didn't happen, the second part won't work.

Cheers man 🍻, I'm glad you like it, as well as others!
Thanks my friend. Enjoy the beers!!

One question, I thought you mentioned something about colors on the menu. Is the coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

• DNVN
Back