Sony SA3000 vs SA5000 vs Qualia 010
Mar 4, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 80
Maybe that's why I gravitated towards the SA5K - I likes my bass.
Too bad about the SA3K sounding thin in the bass region. Bah.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 80
I just nicknamed my SA5000s....

"Thumper"

eggosmile.gif
The bass performance is unreal!! SA3K may have thinner bass but if the SA5Ks do bass so well then maybe the SA3K wont be too bad at all...cant wait for them to show up.

Meanwhile the burn-in continues. I am using my SA5Ks for their targeted application - testing amplifiers...they are now invaluable to me.

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 80
So is the SA5000 anything like a CD3000 with killer bass? That would be awesome.

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
So is the SA5000 anything like a CD3000 with killer bass? That would be awesome.

my memories of the CD3K are fading rapidly, but from what I remember, they are like two totally different animals. The SA5K being the superior, bassier animal.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 80
thanks a lot for your impressions so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

IMO the Qualia's soundstage is narrow in that it presents central vocal images and instruments in a very well defined and focused central place. I've come to feel my Senns spread these central images too far, creating artificial breadth.

if you have time, how would you compare the instrument separation between the sa3k and the senn hd6x0? one of the characteristics i really liked about the hd600 was its ability to place each instrument within its own separate space of "air", so things rarely sounded congested. does the sa3k have the same characteristic, or do instruments tend to "melt together" when more playing added simultaneously?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
my memories of the CD3K are fading rapidly, but from what I remember, they are like two totally different animals. The SA5K being the superior, bassier animal.

Woah! The SA5000's have MORE bass than the CD3000's?

-Ed

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Jeebus!

What's the impedance of those Sony's there? You're listening at 80 on the m902?!

-Ed

I thought I saw somewhere that they have an impedance of 70 with a sensitivity of 102db.

My pair of SA5000 arrived today thanks jjcha's 2nd group buy (thanks again Jason). I'll post some impressions later.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 80
I still enjoy my cd3k's.. They are the best headphones I've heard with electronica music, in other categories I think HD650 beats them. It's just the way the cd3k's sound.. their big sound stage, detailed highs, quick and airy bass that makes them perfect for that kind of music. I'm really interested in hearing SA5k's, hope they drop in price because the current price tag is bit over my budget... And I already have two pair of what I would call expensive headphones, but some people spend 10 times more on theirs so who am I to talk
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #25 of 80
I hereby dub the SA5K the FOTM for March. Last month's winners were the SR325i and MS-2i "Fatboys."

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
My pair of SA5000 arrived today thanks jjcha's 2nd group buy (thanks again Jason). I'll post some impressions later.

Damn thats fast....Mine are still in customs out in San Francisco....
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #28 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by phlavorman
Damn thats fast....Mine are still in customs out in San Francisco....
frown.gif

I'm on the east coast I guess customs at JFK works a little faster.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #29 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I hereby dub the SA5K the FOTM for March. Last month's winners were the SR325i and MS-2i "Fatboys."

Really? I didn't get mine yet!

This whole exlusive high society Alessandro "musicians only" club is starting to get on my nerves!
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Jeebus!

What's the impedance of those Sony's there? You're listening at 80 on the m902?!

-Ed

Heh, well, the Grace is in "LO" gain mode...

The SA3k is slightly less efficient than the SA5k/Qualia - so for the same volume, I gotta bump up the Grace to 83 or so when swapping phones.

I started Head-Fi listening to a HD600 straight out of an iPod. So I'm one of those nuts that thinks the iPod may not drive the Senns to anywhere near their potential but for a beginner, it's a damn fine listening experience. It's only later that you get used to better that the Senns become "unlistenable" straight out of an iPod.

I've been listening to the SA3k straight out of my iRiver, and two thoughts come to mind.

1. SA3k are pretty damn power hungry (as are the SA5k) and the iRiver is near max to get any decent volume out of the SA3k - just like the iPod/HD600.

2. I prefer the SA3k/iRiver combo over the HD600/iPod combo. Not bad at all as an entryway into headphone audiophilia.

Ok, I gotta shut up and let these burn-in and post some informed impressions instead of just "off the hip" initial ones.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back