Sony SA3000 vs SA5000 vs Qualia 010
Mar 4, 2005 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
sony1.jpg

It's surprising how different each of them sounds from each other. Give me time, but I have to say out of the rig in the picture, playing the crappy jpop I listen to (think Britney Spears, but, um, younger and less talented), the SA5k take the prize.

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to work a whole lot harder to get the best sound out of the Qualia. As for the SA3k, well give me time to develop more informed impressions, but right now, I have to say I like them enough, but they don't blow my socks off. Unfortunately, I will say the differences are big enough that I can't chalk it up to just preconceived notions based on price.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 80
You got another SA5000, Jason?
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
You got another SA5000, Jason?
biggrin.gif

What can I say - I've bought a dozen SA5k in the last month, what's one more for myself..
biggrin.gif

So I went back and listened some more, and yep, if Grado is known for Rock, I'd have to say the same for SA5k/JPop.
tongue.gif

Which isn't to say I'm disappointed in the Qualia, quite the contrary. I think in my current configuration it struggles - the SA5k just presents the sound in a more confident and controlled manner, but I hear a precise soundstaging and more intricate sound from the Qualia, but it's just struggling to bring the sound fully forward. Like it's shy or something
confused.gif
. Anyway, I ordered a Black Dragon replacement cable, but I have a feeling a better matched amp is in order. My gut is that there really is more potential depth with the Qualia with better system matching.

You ought to come over before I send the SA3k off to another reviewer (I'm not planning on keeping them, but will forward them on for other people's opinions.)

-J

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 80
Wow what a nice triad of headphones. They really nailed the look (general concept) with these headphones...and the Qualia is really well put together isnt it?

Would you rather have the SA5K earpads on the Qualia?

Do you hear the "sea-shell hollow" effect with the Qualia?

Do you hear the same effect with the SA5K?

Waiting for more impressions Jason.

Best regards,

gs

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Wow what a nice triad of headphones. They really nailed the look (general concept) with these headphones...and the Qualia is really well put together isnt it?

Hey man, how's it going.

Regarding the concept - well, I hate to keep on harping on this, but physically I really like the Qualia and SA5k... not so fond of the SA3k. I'll take some closer shots to show why (though I think Zemo's better than me with the camera for this kind of thing.)

Quote:

Would you rather have the SA5K earpads on the Qualia?

Surprisingly, no. I love the fit of the SA5k (I like the "vice-grip") but my Qualia are fitted right, so they are nice and snug. Nik calls it a seal, and while there isn't suction or anything, it does hug the face quite nicely.

Quote:

Do you hear the "sea-shell hollow" effect with the Qualia?

Do you hear the same effect with the SA5K?

Ah, I'm not going to touch this until I've had a moment to gather my thoughts. For now I'll say I appreciate why a lot of people auditioning the Qualia have issues with its soundstage, which can sound hollow and echoey. But having lived with the Qualia for a while, I think its soundstage is one of its biggest strengths. This is one of the areas where I say the Qualia's got more depth than the SA5k.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Just a few words on the SA3k - one of the strengths of the SA5k is its bass, and the SA3k just isn't in the same league here.

Initial impressions are that the SA3k has nice clarity and detail, but the bass just isn't as full or as controlled as the SA5k, which makes the sound just a bit thin - a thinness that seems to reach into the midrange, unfortunately. It's not horrendous (though some will complain) but just not as good.

The SA5k has more bass than the Qualia, but I don't find the Qualia as lacking in bass as the SA3k, because (1) there still is more quantity than the SA3k and (2) the quality of the bass of the Qualia is still very controlled and rich, something I can't say about the SA3k.

BTW, I am really talking about the mid-bass that you hear in pop music and not true "deep bass" you get with other genres.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 80
Are the new sony phones truly closed? How is their soundstage?(to help I think that the senn soundstage is fairly small). Thanks.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Are the new sony phones truly closed? How is their soundstage?(to help I think that the senn soundstage is fairly small). Thanks.

None of these phones are closed. They're all "semi-open", which means in the photo, the angled circle in the middle of the earcup is as open as a Sennheiser HD580/600/650, but the larger circular mesh (easiest to see on the Qualia in my pict) is a woven plasticky material that is closed. Sound leaks in, sound leaks out, and most importantly, they sound airy like open phones.

As for soundstage - my concept of soundstage is going through changes right now. I think we may be talking about soundstage differently (or have different experienes with it) because I find the Senn soundstage to be fairly wide?

Heck, I'll jump in - the Qualia's soundstage is what's impressing me a LOT about them lately. IMO the Qualia's soundstage is narrow in that it presents central vocal images and instruments in a very well defined and focused central place. I've come to feel my Senns spread these central images too far, creating artificial breadth. The Qualia instrument placement is just more "laser precise" to me. It feels like there's a jack directly into my brain, and the images are being created that way, rather than drivers an inch or so away from my ears. And surprisingly, despite the generally more narrow feel of the Qualia soundstage, once in a while that soundstage just seems to reach out nearly to the walls of my room. But this last part is relatively infrequent, so don't expect to hear it in all your recordings all the time.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 80
I am also perceiving more bass impact and a gradually flourishing midrange after around 150 hours of burn-in. The imaging is SPOT ON!! Listening to Eric Clapton - Unplugged and the placement of artists around the head is PERFECT!!

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 80
I believe I'm over 800 hours. I cannot conceive judging these headphones unless you're about 300+ hours in. Plug SA5000 and SA3000 in Grace for a week or two and let us know
biggrin.gif

edit: since you only have two jacks, send me the qualia and i'll burn it in for you
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I believe I'm over 800 hours. I cannot conceive judging these headphones unless you're about 300+ hours in. Plug SA5000 and SA3000 in Grace for a week or two and let us know
biggrin.gif

edit: since you only have two jacks, send me the qualia and i'll burn it in for you
tongue.gif

lol

The SA5k is brand spanking new and needs burning-in, so I am trying to avoid real making any real specific statements regarding it. Still, even out of the box, it has a lot of the characteristics that I remember from my prior pair, which had 250+ hours on it (I stopped counting after that).

Honestly, for me, I think burn-in has more to do with my ears and brain getting used to something more than anything else. Like the brightness that I complained so much about from my first pair - not there anymore, straight out of the box.

The SA3k are used, so I have no idea how much time there is on them.

Either way though, for a multitude of reasons (burn-in, exposure to lots of different music, different listening conditions, etc.) I ought to keep my trap shut and let these burn-in and listen to them before saying too much. But of course I probably won't though
icon10.gif

It is weird though, about a month ago I was comparing fresh Qualia to burned-in SA5k, and now it's the reverse...

Best,

-Jason

Edit: The Qualia's well over 250 hours as well, for the first 10 days, it was on 24/7...

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Honestly, for me, I think burn-in has more to do with my ears and brain getting used to something more than anything else. Like the brightness that I complained so much about from my first pair - not there anymore, straight out of the box.

Ahh... interesting observation.

Has anyone considered that maybe some audiophile headphones are pre-burned in at the factory so that they are at full spec right out of the box? This would seem to make sense, IMO.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Honestly, for me, I think burn-in has more to do with my ears and brain getting used to something more than anything else.

Edit: The Qualia's well over 250 hours as well, for the first 10 days, it was on 24/7...

I can see the problem about getting acclimated to the sound. But I usually don't listen much during burnin but occasionally checkup on the "progress". If you listen to any headphone, it starts sounding better as you go on. I have trained myself not to fool myself otherwise I really wouldn't be making progress especially when tweaking or DIY things.
tongue.gif

Ah, so I guess you're not going to send me the Qualia?
tongue.gif

I was going to ask about getting a SA3000 to compare but I didn't want to pay full price for headphones I knew weren't going to be mine in the end.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Initial impressions are that the SA3k has nice clarity and detail, but the bass just isn't as full or as controlled as the SA5k, which makes the sound just a bit thin - a thinness that seems to reach into the midrange, unfortunately. It's not horrendous (though some will complain) but just not as good.

that's exactly how I felt when I tried both of them on...and I also felt that the SA1k was even 'thinner' sounding than the SA3k.

however, I still think the sa3k is the prettiest looking one of the three
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back