Sony Qualia vs HD800?
Apr 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #46 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well MacedonianHero you seem to support them like those "Apple Computer" people. Why has there been at least 2 HD800 in the for sale section that are either nicked or tarnished from what I have seen? Once the paint starts wearing off what do you think they will look like? I don't know why you don't think I can't afford them? I am taking a course for my apprenticeship at the moment but before that I was working 24 days on and 4 off in the oil sands up here in Alberta. A full week was $1850. One job in early 2008 was $2650 for a week. It's not the money its the value for the money and a company that looks to be stealing its innovation from another. Look at the Qualia and the HD800 or SA5000 side by side. Sennheiser has been around a long time have they ever had a headphone similar to the HD800? It doesn't matter how new or green friendly HD800 plastic is its still low class and cheap for the money and probably won't look very good after a few years with use. Even plastic with the same color that goes 100% through will hold up with time. A couple other things that disgust about Sennheiser is look at the HE60 doesn't look like they hold up well. Also how the HD600 use to be worshiped and now its considered veiled and middle of the road. Senneheiser is a hype machine and I believe other brands that have as good or even better headphones are talked down so they are a level below. The most expensive Sennheiser I have heard is the HD555 and I thought it was very veiled and even Ksc75 was better.

Well thanks for stating that you've never heard the HD800s (let alone actually seen or touched them)! Now I know that your just trolling to bash Sennheiser whenever possible.

FWIW, my HD800 is in MINT condition, and many thousands have been sold and where are the hundreds of Head-fiers complaining about the build quality?

I often drop by Bay Bloor Radio here in Toronto to listen to their "wall of headphones" and most of their demos are pretty beat up, but the HD800s look like new (and they are the ones most people want to demo according to the sales agent).

And sorry, just because both the Qualia and HD800 are unique looking for headphones, they look nothing like each other...I'm not sure what the heck you're trying to get at.

If the HD555 is your ONLY experience with Sennheisers, how on earth can you comment on the HD600/650/800 HE60s!
angry_face.gif

How can you comment on any headphone that you haven't even been in the same room with?

Finally, how can I be considered a Senn fan boy? Have you seen the headphones that I own and have owned? I'm on the record several times saying that the beyer T1s are my favourite headphone and I've own more Grado's than any other manufacturer. Look's to me like your the poor PC guy trying to keep up with the hip young Apple dude.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #47 of 122
Do you even know what a troll is? A troll does not care about a subject they are only out to piss people off. So I am not a troll and I resent your insinuation! I think you may need glasses. Heres a pic of both the HD800 is thicker probably because it is more plasticy and need the support . If there was a name for a type of design they would be in the same category. Even the driver angle is probably the same. I figured you would take the easy route and simply say because I haven't heard either my observations wood be moot.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #48 of 122
A picture tells it all,Pure Class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww, this is my first pair and i'm still bummed I sold it. Terrible mistake that was.
frown.gif

Heres a pic of the driver on my current pair:

nyi4qb.jpg

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #50 of 122
Quote:

Well MacedonianHero you seem to support them like those "Apple Computer" people. Why has there been at least 2 HD800 in the for sale section that are either nicked or tarnished from what I have seen? Once the paint starts wearing off what do you think they will look like? I don't know why you don't think I can't afford them? I am taking a course for my apprenticeship at the moment but before that I was working 24 days on and 4 off in the oil sands up here in Alberta. A full week was $1850. One job in early 2008 was $2650 for a week. It's not the money its the value for the money and a company that looks to be stealing its innovation from another. Look at the Qualia and the HD800 or SA5000 side by side. Sennheiser has been around a long time have they ever had a headphone similar to the HD800? It doesn't matter how new or green friendly HD800 plastic is its still low class and cheap for the money and probably won't look very good after a few years with use. Even plastic with the same color that goes 100% through will hold up with time. A couple other things that disgust about Sennheiser is look at the HE60 doesn't look like they hold up well. Also how the HD600 use to be worshiped and now its considered veiled and middle of the road. Senneheiser is a hype machine and I believe other brands that have as good or even better headphones are talked down so they are a level below. The most expensive Sennheiser I have heard is the HD555 and I thought it was very veiled and even Ksc75 was better.

Well well, and ain't that Alberta all the way down. Never let facts get in the way of a strongly-held opinion, pardner.

Here's an idea: go back to the oil sands, and put a little aside each week, say 10.00 or so. In 140 weeks, pick up a pair of HD800s and write up a review for the rest of us. And in the meantime stay away from anything Lambda -- full of all kinds of nasty plastic, those varmints are.

resignedly,

o

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #51 of 122
Jason:
If your up to host a mini meet Id be superhappy to bring my HD800 into the city. I want to hear the 010 on my balanced OTL monster still.
Quote:

Look at the Qualia and the HD800 or SA5000 side by side. Sennheiser has been around a long time have they ever had a headphone similar to the HD800?

Do you mean a ring radiator? Nobody (AS far as I know) has made a ring radiator headphone. Not even re-purposed tweeters as a DIY effort like has been done with various planar tweeters.

Or do you mean angled drivers? guess what kiddo, the HD555 has angled drivers. So does the HD595.
Quote:

The most expensive Sennheiser I have heard is the HD555 and I thought it was very veiled and even Ksc75 was better.

(this quoted part came first, but it looks better second.)
Quote:

Also how the HD600 use to be worshiped and now its considered veiled and middle of the road. Senneheiser is a hype machine and I believe other brands that have as good or even better headphones are talked down so they are a level below.

So just to be clear, you are referencing the sound of one of the most common headphones made by sennheiser, yet you have not actually heard them. They are quite common and accessible after all.

Secondly, you have heard and owned one of senn's previous experiments in angled drivers but didnt know it.

Could you be a little more specific about when you are talking out of your bumm?
Quote:

Do you even know what a troll is? A troll does not care about a subject they are only out to piss people off. So I am not a troll and I resent your insinuation!

I disagree. You have been given several logical reasons that the HD800's do not fit into your preconceived notions as to their lack of any quality and yet you keep up this freshman ****.
Quote:

If there was a name for a type of design they would be in the same category.

Whatever name describes headphones that dont look like normal hemespheres or elepsoids?
Quote:

Even the driver angle is probably the same.

It isnt. The 010 have more of an angle relative to the ear.
Quote:

I figured you would take the easy route and simply say because I haven't heard either my observations wood be moot.

You have not made any observations, you have made ASSERTIONS. They are not incorrect because you haven't heard or seen in person anything you are flapping your moth about. Your ASSERTIONS (you are stating as fact, not as something you noticed and are offering for debate) are incorrect because people who have seen and felt and heard EVERYTHING you are talking out of your ass about say you are wrong.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #52 of 122
Quote:

It's not the money its the value for the money and a company that looks to be stealing its innovation from another. Look at the Qualia and the HD800 or SA5000 side by side. Sennheiser has been around a long time have they ever had a headphone similar to the HD800?

Go back to my post at the beginning of the thread about the ring radiator. It's not just about external cosmetics.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #53 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly correct. I love my 010. I have pictures though of where the carbon fibre snapped. Fortunately Sony was cool enough to replace the headband for me for free but its pretty rediculous how fragile these are.

I imagine I would be more than pleased as peas with the HD800 in the right setup. But as it is, haven't been that tempted to get a pair. Elephas is right though about how crappy the 010 are if you happen to wear glasses or if they don't fit you right.

Best,

-Jason

Good to see you posting! I didn't realize you were still in the hobby
tongue.gif
Glad to hear you are still enjoying that 010 of yours! Are you still running it from the grace?

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #54 of 122
Quote:

Do you even know what a troll is? A troll does not care about a subject they are only out to piss people off. So I am not a troll and I resent your insinuation! I think you may need glasses. Heres a pic of both the HD800 is thicker probably because it is more plasticy and need the support . If there was a name for a type of design they would be in the same category. Even the driver angle is probably the same. I figured you would take the easy route and simply say because I haven't heard either my observations wood be moot.

I believe making outlandish comments about things you know nothing about consistently, even when everyone tells you that you are wrong is indeed trolling.

If by similar, you mean they both have 2 drivers that go over your ears and play music, then yes they are similar. Do they look the same? Nope....not even close.

You do realize that the beyer T1s also have angled drivers (along with a few other headphones).

I believe that we did have a conversation about polymers a few months back and you still have a simplistic and quite frankly out of date view of polymers. They can be (like in the case of the HD800) a highly engineered material that often have the best properties that engineers (like myself) would select over many other materials.

Would you suggest a poorly sounding and very heavy headphone made of steel? I really don't understand what you are trying to get at here....
mad.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #55 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qualia 010 vs. HD800 is a pretty good fight.

Appearance-wise, you might think from looking at photos that these two headphones share similar designs and maybe materials. But when you hold them, you'll see that they are very different.

The HD800 may be silver-coated plastic, but it seems to be a high quality plastic. There's a sense of solidity to it. In contrast, the Q010 can seem too lightweight and even plasticky. The light weight contributes to comfort, but it can seem fragile, as if some part could snap and break anytime. I suspect that it is indeed quite fragile, especially the headband parts, but haven't been inclined to test the theory. I handle it very carefully.

The Q010 is also very finicky about fit. There's no allowing for variability in user anatomy, it either fits right or it doesn't. The driver housings can slide up or down a little bit, but once you adjust them to a setting and the screws on either side are fixed, that's it, no more adjustments. Well, the driver housings flex in and out a little bit to allow you to put them on or take them off.

Its earpads are also thin leather with no padding. They may look sexy in photos, but without any padding there's not much buffer between the hardness of the driver housing and the skin around your ears. It's not uncomfortable for me, but it's not very comfortable either and I would prefer at least some earpad padding. For example, the thick and cushiony R10 or O2 earpads are nice thick buffers and very comfortable.

The HD800 earpads are also quite thin, with a little more padding than the Q010's but still not a lot. They're reasonably comfortable, but I would also prefer some more padding.

I think the Q010 and HD800 share some similarities in sound. Driven by a Zana Deux, they are both neutralish-sounding and not colored. Both have large soundstages, though the Qualia's is particularly large, huge even.

Both have excellent details and clarity. No Sennheiser veil here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I think the Qualia has a bit better details, but when I listen to the HD800, I think it is very detailed too. It's hard to say which is more detailed, I think. Both have excellent imaging. The Qualia seems to do notes separation a bit better while the HD800 does sense of 3D layering a bit better. But this is kind of being nit-picky, both are very good here. They're both not very full-bodied, but this is a good thing. Bass is accurate, tight and fast, no flabbiness here.

Overall I think the Qualia is a little bit better than the HD800, but it's a small gap and I'm very happy with the HD800 too. Given the Qualia's other issues, fragility, finicky fit, less comfortable, can't wear them with glasses, less-than-ideal earpads, high cost of replacement of said less-than-ideal earpads, and I'll reach for the HD800 more often than the Qualia. Pricewise, the HD800 may be expensive, but I think it's a relatively good value. And in current production.

I think that these are two of the best dynamic headphones I've heard, there aren't very many others competitive at this level. A well-driven K1000 perhaps. The R10. Hmm... well, that's about it.
tongue.gif
(I haven't heard the Beyer T1 or Edition 8/9, some others). The HP2 is also very good, and has a similarly good neutralish type of tonality, but I don't think it can compete in other areas such as details, soundstage, imaging, etc.

I said I think they're two of the best dynamic headphones...
biggrin.gif

Interesting observation.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #56 of 122
Hahaha. This "troll" happens to be right about a few things.

1. Sennheiser is a name that has an excessive amount of hype attached to it
2. Sennheiser is outperformed in a lot of price brackets (in everything up to the HD800 and above IMO, which I personally havent heard so wont comment on)
3. A large portion of Sennheisers headphones are either dull sounding or just out right crap sounding

Anyway, this thread is pretty interesting

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #57 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting observation.
wink.gif

If it's that close and there's hardly anything between them soundwise, i would say the hd800 is a better bang for the buck headphone then the qualia, especially taking other things into account.
biggrin.gif

in europe the hd800 can be had for around 900 euro's the qualia will set you back way, way more. If you have a good hd600-650 rig, then the hd800 will scale very well accordingly...

If i read your comments about those two headphones, it all comes down to preference...
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #58 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's that close and there's hardly anything between them soundwise, i would say the hd800 is a better bang for the buck headphone then the qualia, especially taking other things into account.
biggrin.gif

in europe the hd800 can be had for around 900 euro's the qualia will set you back way, way more. If you have a good hd600-650 rig, then the hd800 will scale very well accordingly...

If i read your comments about those two headphones, it all comes down to preference...
wink_face.gif

I know the Law of Diminishing Returns thank you. His comments got me thinking specifically in reference to its finicky fit for folks w/ glasses.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #59 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, I agree the HD800 is a better value than the Qualia.

But I didn't mean that they sound very similar. Re-reading what I wrote, I can see how people might think that, since I didn't say much about their differences. But that was just one single post.

I do think they share some similarities and are about the same level of sound quality. They are closer to each other than they are to a Grado, for example, or the L3000.

But when you're listening to either headphone, you're not going to mistake one for the other. They are both very distinctive. Listening to the Qualia especially is a very unique experience, one is unlikely to mistake it for another headphone.
smile.gif

We might talk about the Qualia's superb details, large soundstage, and excellent notes separation and imaging. But the HD800 has those exact same qualities, too. The problem is the degree of their differences and the fact that the sum total of how a headphone sounds is difficult to describe.

One might say that one is unlikely to mistake the HD800 for another headphone too. It does remind me of some headphones, such as the Qualia and also the HE60, 4070 and HP-2, in some ways. But it has a completely distinctive and unique sound. For example, the HD800 has a sense of layering, of the sense of depth and distance, of sounds behind each other, that to me sounds quite unique. Other headphones can do a 3D soundstage too (the Qualia can), but the HD800's way is distinctive and quite unmistakable.

The problem is when we're talking about the Qualia's soundstage depth versus the HD800's, I'll end up saying something like, well, they're both very good, and while the Qualia's soundstage seems bigger, the HD800 does depth layering better, and I think they're competitive with each other in this area. Oh, I did say something like that.
tongue.gif

Which really was just a very poor and completely inadequate description of their soundstages. It is a complicated subject, and we could go on and on for hundreds of posts about the strengths and weaknesses of just one aspect of their soundstages.

Ah, well, I would rather go listen to some music.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back