Sony Qualia vs HD800?
Apr 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #61 of 122
Your right if I would have never didn't feed into MacedonianHero's comments it would have not ruined a good thread. I can express my observation by what I see in photos. I didn't comment on how the headphone sounds so I don't understand why he rages about that. I try not to comment on the sound of my own headphones very much. I got a good lol when the other guy had to edit his own comment just to say nothing and be a spelling Nazi. I also never said anything about the Hd800's ring piece. High end Sony like the Qualia have build quality that a headphone like the HD800 does not be compared to. I am sure it can be taken as fact. I may pick up a pair of HD800 in a couple years I don't mind if a headphone looks worn and tarnished as long as it works properly. I would like to hear what the layering is about and spatial sound-staging. Obviously some attributes come of as more important than others that's why I am trying many headphones. Stax Lambda are in the lead so far. I don't think there is any other brand in headphones that attracts as many raging fanboys as Sennheiser does and that makes it sad for the honesty of the site.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #62 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is any other brand in headphones that attracts as many raging fanboys as Sennheiser does and that makes it sad for the honesty of the site.

You mean comments like the one below?

Quote:

High end Sony like the Qualia have build quality that a headphone like the HD800 could not be compared to. I never heard any but I am sure it can be taken as fact.

It's comments like that, that makes the site "sad." Good luck on your headphone ventures.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #64 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Sennheiser is a name that has an excessive amount of hype attached to it
2. Sennheiser is outperformed in a lot of price brackets (in everything up to the HD800 and above IMO, which I personally havent heard so wont comment on)
3. A large portion of Sennheisers headphones are either dull sounding or just out right crap sounding

Interesting stance to take for someone who's put in effort to be in the running for a HD800 competition at the moment. If they're so crap and overhyped, why do you want one? Just to resell for profit?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #65 of 122
Quote:

I don't think there is any other brand in headphones that attracts as many raging fanboys as Sennheiser does and that makes it sad for the honesty of the site.

Actually I don't find that there are many Sennheiser fanboys around here. I do find that there are a lot of recent AKG K70x fanboys. Myself, I really prefer beyer's and Grado's in general. I was never enthralled with the HD650s (now sold), but I do think that Sennheiser really knocked it out of the park with the HD800s (about the only Sennheiser headphone that I really like).

Now with that stated, I do find that there are many Sennheiser bashers around here (kind of like "anti-Sennheiser fanboys). I think I can name a few.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #66 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I don't find that there are many Sennheiser fanboys around here. I do find that there are a lot of recent AKG K70x fanboys. Myself, I really prefer beyer's and Grado's in general. I was never enthralled with the HD650s (now sold), but I do think that Sennheiser really knocked it out of the park with the HD800s (about the only Sennheiser headphone that I really like).

Now with that stated, I do find that there are many Sennheiser bashers around here (kind of like "anti-Sennheiser fanboys). I think I can name a few.
wink.gif

Funny, Sennheiser knocked it out with the 800, that are more close in the sound presentation to the K701/2 then to the HD-650. lol, very suspicious point.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #67 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, Sennheiser knocked it out with the 800, that are more close in the sound presentation to the K701/2 then to the HD-650. lol, very suspicious point.

See what I mean my AKG K70x fans.
icon10.gif

But seriously, you are right that their presentation is more in line with the AKGs than the HD650s. But with a superior presentation and sonic clarity and bass presence. I know Acix you don't agree with me, but with my ears that is simply what I hear.

You know that I have often stated that I preferred the AKG K701s to the HD650s...I don't see what's suspicious with this?

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #68 of 122
Quote:

Well was hoping I was going to get a good deal on these K1000 on ebay.

AKG K1000 K-1000 headphones in EXCELLENT condition. - eBay (item 110518249644 end time Apr-17-10 14:39:08 PDT)

They jumped in price quite drastically today though. To me it looks like they are at or
over there value. It must be the excellent condition but they are the higher bass light
version. There seems to be a real big demand for the K1000. I have Lambda Signatures
on there way and when asking about 404LE compared to K1000 the response I got was the 404LE was a big step up.

Actually looking at the bid history it looks like something may be going on there.

From who?

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #69 of 122
Quote:

Your right if I would have never didn't feed into MacedonianHero's comments it would have not ruined a good thread. I can express my observation by what I see in photos. I didn't comment on how the headphone sounds so I don't understand why he rages about that. I try not to comment on the sound of my own headphones very much. I got a good lol when the other guy had to edit his own comment just to say nothing and be a spelling Nazi. I also never said anything about the Hd800's ring piece. High end Sony like the Qualia have build quality that a headphone like the HD800 does not be compared to. I am sure it can be taken as fact. I may pick up a pair of HD800 in a couple years I don't mind if a headphone looks worn and tarnished as long as it works properly. I would like to hear what the layering is about and spatial sound-staging. Obviously some attributes come of as more important than others that's why I am trying many headphones. Stax Lambda are in the lead so far. I don't think there is any other brand in headphones that attracts as many raging fanboys as Sennheiser does and that makes it sad for the honesty of the site.

I know the hd650 pretty well and it's like you hit a wall backwards, i guess the staging is much bigger and more spacious with the hd 800 wider and deeper, i guess...

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #70 of 122
Quote:

Aha! We can now invoke Godwin's Law...

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #72 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not at all i would say...

The better the headphones get and more real, the more simularities they share with eachother...As do the qualia and the hd800 apperently, yet they still have their own sound signature...as all brands do, in the speaker world a brand has usually also their home sound signature, as grado's do, as sony's do and sennheiser does...

That's why i think it's a good thing there's more then one brand, you can choose the one you like most or has the better synergy with your rig setup...

The headphone is always as good as your rig is!

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #73 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the HD800, there's no way you're getting the Qualias anyway :p

Not for a normal price anyway, and you'd still have to find one fitting your head!
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #74 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! We can now invoke Godwin's Law...

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know - I feel that the whole "spelling/grammar nazi" dig is just too common and should be exempt. Either way, we're certainly almost there in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, first time I saw the photos of the HD800 I thought "wow, they blatantly ripped off the design of the Qualia 010". I'm sure there is a LOT of their own design & interpretation in the headphones, but it does seem uncanny, as previously the Sony SA and Qualia headphones were the only ones remotely like that.

The diaphragm of the Qualia is definitely in a ring/wave shape.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #75 of 122
One of the bigger differences is that the HD800 is a current production, profitable flagship offering, the Qualia is a discontinued "statement" product. Senn made the commitment to tooling for production of 5000 units a year for a multi year run, and it appears the demand/price is there to make it financially viable. Many, many more people will be exposed to the HD800 than will ever listen to a Qualia. Sony discontinued the Qualia (and more importantly the R10) and no longer produces "statement" headphone products. It was cool that Sony once had that direction in their headphone offerings, but they no longer do. Senn also once produced the Orpheus and the HE60, but they no longer have the commitment for that type of statement product. Threads about contrasting any phones are interesting, but when you get into some kind "my brand is cooler than your brand" pizzing contest, the more fair match up is the R10 verses the Orpheus, not the Qualia verses the HD800.

I like Senn products, at least the ones I've heard. The HD800 is a fairly big milestone product, and that isn't my opinion, that is a marketplace fact. Like it or not, the HD800 currently defines the top end of the marketplace by virtue of price and sales volume. Hopefully, when it gets knocked from that perch it will be because a phone with a better mix of performance, price and availability does it rather than the K1000-esque waning of marketplace interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back