Sony Qualia vs HD800?
Apr 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qualia are amazing headphones, even I never tried them through the right system.

Very interesting point... So, how was your experience with the Qualia on not the right system?

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #17 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<..>
The only problem I have with Qualia is their price tag, so, K1000 were cheaper, however, hmm, never mind...

Let us assume that Q010 is quite brilliant with mid-fi amp
biggrin.gif

There is no question about it, that one has to own a very good speaker amp to make K1000 shine
wink.gif

To conclude: maybe the final price for K1000 + amp combo would be the same as Q010 + mid-fi amp ?

P.S. for someone who appreciates beauty:
QUALIA 010
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 122
It was my present portable rig and the results were more than just nice, I even thought for a second that they are very close to K1000 presentation.

I don't think that Qualia rig will cost you the same as K1000, depends on how much you paid for either of them and in my situation K1000 wins hands down, but not only price wise, I simply adore them and the fact that I had the opportunity to try Qualia, made my world more colourful, cos I really liked them, but USD4k+ price tag, hmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting point... So, how was your experience with the Qualia on not the right system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us assume that Q010 is quite brilliant with mid-fi amp
biggrin.gif

There is no question about it, that one has to own a very good speaker amp to make K1000 shine
wink.gif

To conclude: maybe the final price for K1000 + amp combo would be the same as Q010 + mid-fi amp ?

P.S. for someone who appreciates beauty:
QUALIA 010
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #20 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever had the chance to hear both? I ask because by looks it looks like Sennheiser stole there design from Sony and they just used cheap plasticy materials to replicate this older design. Is there any similarity's in sound? I will read up more on the Sony Qualia it seems to be very rare that there has not been any really for sale 2nd hand. Are they about $2k?

Jay, here you go again....

Again, owning the HD800s is not a right! Get over it!

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How soft are the Q10 pads? Do the headphones seal to your head?

The pads themselves are soft leather but are not padded. The flat leather is simply stretched around the earcup opening.

As for the actual seal since there is no padding, you need to find the correct placement on your head to contour the pads around your ears. This can be tricky as your facial shape, and the amount of pull at the top of your head(dictated by the headband size) will affect whether or not you can get an adequate seal.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 122
Qualia 010 vs. HD800 is a pretty good fight.

Appearance-wise, you might think from looking at photos that these two headphones share similar designs and maybe materials. But when you hold them, you'll see that they are very different.

The HD800 may be silver-coated plastic, but it seems to be a high quality plastic. There's a sense of solidity to it. In contrast, the Q010 can seem too lightweight and even plasticky. The light weight contributes to comfort, but it can seem fragile, as if some part could snap and break anytime. I suspect that it is indeed quite fragile, especially the headband parts, but haven't been inclined to test the theory. I handle it very carefully.

The Q010 is also very finicky about fit. There's no allowing for variability in user anatomy, it either fits right or it doesn't. The driver housings can slide up or down a little bit, but once you adjust them to a setting and the screws on either side are fixed, that's it, no more adjustments. Well, the driver housings flex in and out a little bit to allow you to put them on or take them off.

Its earpads are also thin leather with no padding. They may look sexy in photos, but without any padding there's not much buffer between the hardness of the driver housing and the skin around your ears. It's not uncomfortable for me, but it's not very comfortable either and I would prefer at least some earpad padding. For example, the thick and cushiony R10 or O2 earpads are nice thick buffers and very comfortable.

The HD800 earpads are also quite thin, with a little more padding than the Q010's but still not a lot. They're reasonably comfortable, but I would also prefer some more padding.

I think the Q010 and HD800 share some similarities in sound. Driven by a Zana Deux, they are both neutralish-sounding and not colored. Both have large soundstages, though the Qualia's is particularly large, huge even.

Both have excellent details and clarity. No Sennheiser veil here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I think the Qualia has a bit better details, but when I listen to the HD800, I think it is very detailed too. It's hard to say which is more detailed, I think. Both have excellent imaging. The Qualia seems to do notes separation a bit better while the HD800 does sense of 3D layering a bit better. But this is kind of being nit-picky, both are very good here. They're both not very full-bodied, but this is a good thing. Bass is accurate, tight and fast, no flabbiness here.

Overall I think the Qualia is a little bit better than the HD800, but it's a small gap and I'm very happy with the HD800 too. Given the Qualia's other issues, fragility, finicky fit, less comfortable, can't wear them with glasses, less-than-ideal earpads, high cost of replacement of said less-than-ideal earpads, and I'll reach for the HD800 more often than the Qualia. Pricewise, the HD800 may be expensive, but I think it's a relatively good value. And in current production.

I think that these are two of the best dynamic headphones I've heard, there aren't very many others competitive at this level. A well-driven K1000 perhaps. The R10. Hmm... well, that's about it.
tongue.gif
(I haven't heard the Beyer T1 or Edition 8/9, some others). The HP2 is also very good, and has a similarly good neutralish type of tonality, but I don't think it can compete in other areas such as details, soundstage, imaging, etc.

I said I think they're two of the best dynamic headphones...
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah he's on a roll this week. I hope he will call me a "lair" and a slanderer again. I haven't laughed so hard in quite awhile.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Appearance-wise, you might think from looking at photos that these two headphones share similar designs and maybe materials. But when you hold them, you'll see that they are very different.

The HD800 may be silver-coated plastic, but it seems to be a high quality plastic. There's a sense of solidity to it. In contrast, the Q010 can seem too lightweight and even plasticky. The light weight contributes to comfort, but it can seem fragile, as if some part could snap and break anytime. I suspect that it is indeed quite fragile, especially the headband parts, but haven't been inclined to test the theory. I handle it very carefully.

The Q010 is also very finicky about fit. There's no allowing for variability in user anatomy, it either fits right or it doesn't. The driver housings can slide up or down a little bit, but once you adjust them to a setting and the screws on either side are fixed, that's it, no more adjustments. Well, the driver housings flex in and out a little bit to allow you to put them on or take them off.

Its earpads are also thin leather with no padding. They may look sexy in photos, but without any padding there's not much buffer between the hardness of the driver housing and the skin around your ears. It's not uncomfortable for me, but it's not very comfortable either and I would prefer at least some earpad padding. For example, the thick and cushiony R10 or O2 earpads are nice thick buffers and very comfortable.

The HD800 earpads are also quite thin, with a little more padding than the Q010's but still not a lot. They're reasonably comfortable, but I would also prefer some more padding.

I think the Q010 and HD800 share some similarities in sound. Driven by a Zana Deux, they are both neutralish-sounding and not colored. Both have large soundstages, though the Qualia's is particularly large, huge even.

very_evil_smiley.gif
I think the Qualia has a bit better details, but when I listen to the HD800, I think it is very detailed too. It's hard to say which is more detailed, I think. Both have excellent imaging. The Qualia seems to do notes separation a bit better while the HD800 does sense of 3D layering a bit better. But this is kind of being nit-picky, both are very good here. They're both not very full-bodied, but this is a good thing. Bass is accurate, tight and fast, no flabbiness here.

Overall I think the Qualia is a little bit better than the HD800, but it's a small gap and I'm very happy with the HD800 too. Given the Qualia's other issues, fragility, finicky fit, less comfortable, can't wear them with glasses, less-than-ideal earpads, high cost of replacement of said less-than-ideal earpads, and I'll reach for the HD800 more often than the Qualia. Pricewise, the HD800 may be expensive, but I think it's a relatively good value. And in current production.

I think that these are two of the best dynamic headphones I've heard, there aren't very many others competitive at this level. A well-driven K1000 perhaps. The R10. Hmm... well, that's about it.
tongue.gif
(I haven't heard the Beyer T1 or Edition 8/9, some others). The HP2 is also very good, and has a similarly good neutralish type of tonality, but I don't think it can compete in other areas such as details, soundstage, imaging, etc.

biggrin.gif

That is one incredibly informative post. Thank you very much for taking your time to type that up and share it with us Elephas.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes it is. Owning any headphone is my right. If I can't afford it, it must be a piece of crap.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 122
Oh Michael...we all know that your "best" dynamic is still bottom of the barrel in your rig.
wink_face.gif
I believe a certain amp of the electrostatic nature has proceeded to consume your headphone interests as of the current?

But in retrospect, my audition with the Qualia on the Zana Deux proved to be a less than ideal match to my ears. I don't think OTL amps are suitable for driving the low Z Qualia. The sound was bad enough for me not to want to listen to the Qualia on it anymore.

Btw, don't you also have a balanced cable for your Qualia as well? Hopefully you're not completely spoiled by your stats to not reinvest in a better dynamic amp. Its time you even the odds and give that BH some competition....or at least try.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Hi Elephas. I always appreciate your posts. They tend to be balanced, never over or under estimating the characteristics of a particular phone, with absolutely no evidence of fanboyism.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 122
Gah, please stop quoting entirely, it's embarrassing!

Anyone is of course entirely welcome to say awesome things about the Qualia, HD800 and elephants.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, don't you also have a balanced cable for your Qualia as well?

What the...? How do you know this?
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree it's likely that the ZD isn't the best match for the Qualia, a balanced B22 probably is (which I haven't heard).

I did own the AT-HA5000, and thought it drove the Qualia reasonably well. But I think the ZD does about as well, so sold off the HA5000. Without having heard a better reference such as a balanced B22 driving the Qualia, I'm wallowing blissfully in my ignorance.

I use the Qualia + APS v3 balanced cable with a CEC HD53N balanced amp. But it isn't really better than the ZD, using the same cable and a dual XLR to 6.3mm plug adapter. Left-right separation seems more distinct to me with the balanced amp, with correspondingly better-defined soundstage and imaging.

I think I can imagine somewhat how good a balanced Beta22 will sound driving the Qualia or HD800, relative to the CEC HD53N and ZD, and it's not worthwhile to get since I'm mainly an electrostatic user. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back