Sony Qualia vs HD800?
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall I think the Qualia is a little bit better than the HD800, but it's a small gap and I'm very happy with the HD800 too.

Well you might give the nod to the Qualia now however as soon as the HD800 is no longer in production it will sound so much better, the price will more than double and it will be one of the most sought-after headphones.

On another note are there any pics of the insides of the Qualia, I'd like to peak at the driver!

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's two different things - the statement could be a judge of worth relative to other products on the market (value), and that concerns more the quality of the product. Or the statement could based on a personal financial judgment, where it has as much to do with the person - his financial situation and his willingness to pay - as with the quality of the product. It seems to me KBL is talking about the later.

Some of my notes on interpreting how people speak.

Yes. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@KBI:you should really get out to a meet and listen to a pair then. It really does seem to be what you're looking for and i'm sure you might really end up enjoying it, but its best for you and the sake of others to keep comments that lack points of experience away from discussions that look for valid insight. Also, its not Q10, but Q010 as in Qualia 010.

I do agree. Basing an opinion on something I never heard is pretty absurd.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #33 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you might give the nod to the Qualia now however as soon as the HD800 is no longer in production it will sound so much better, the price will more than double and it will be one of the most sought-after headphones.

LOL! So true!! Which is what makes limited edition headphones sound better from the get go since you know they will someday be discontinued
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #34 of 122
Quote:

On another note are there any pics of the insides of the Qualia, I'd like to peak at the driver!

I have no doubt the price on the HD800s will rise once they are discontinued, but we are talking about years from now. Also, it would be pretty difficult for them to miraculously "sound so much better" when they are already at the top of the dynamic food chain along with the likes of the R10, 010, HP1000, PS1, L3000, etc.

As far as pics of insides of the Qualia goes, you probably won't find much. The pics in the three for sale threads linked below are about the best you're going to find on the forum. The link from earlier in the thread to the EIFL page is also a good one and shows the driver disassembled. Looks like a typical dynamic driver with a large magnet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...-010-a-457057/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/ic...-010-a-269560/

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 122
Well was hoping I was going to get a good deal on these K1000 on ebay.

AKG K1000 K-1000 headphones in EXCELLENT condition. - eBay (item 110518249644 end time Apr-17-10 14:39:08 PDT)

They jumped in price quite drastically today though. To me it looks like they are at or
over there value. It must be the excellent condition but they are the higher bass light
version. There seems to be a real big demand for the K1000. I have Lambda Signatures
on there way and when asking about 404LE compared to K1000 the response I got was the 404LE was a big step up.

Actually looking at the bid history it looks like something may be going on there.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #36 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aww, this is my first pair and i'm still bummed I sold it. Terrible mistake that was.
frown.gif

Quote:

Heres a pic of the driver on my current pair:

nyi4qb.jpg

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #38 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Lambda Signatures on there way and when asking about 404LE compared to K1000 the response I got was the 404LE was a big step up.

Big step up from the Lambda Signatures? I doubt it. Big step up from the K1000? Definitely not.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

From all the pictures I've seen it doesn't look any different from the Sony SA series. Someone needs to take these apart and inspect the goings on.
wink.gif

Ssshhh! People will start manufacturing CF headbands and selling SA5000s for $3k.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The light weight contributes to comfort, but it can seem fragile, as if some part could snap and break anytime. I suspect that it is indeed quite fragile, especially the headband parts, but haven't been inclined to test the theory. I handle it very carefully.

This is exactly correct. I love my 010. I have pictures though of where the carbon fibre snapped. Fortunately Sony was cool enough to replace the headband for me for free but its pretty rediculous how fragile these are.

I imagine I would be more than pleased as peas with the HD800 in the right setup. But as it is, haven't been that tempted to get a pair. Elephas is right though about how crappy the 010 are if you happen to wear glasses or if they don't fit you right.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #42 of 122
Quote:

From all the pictures I've seen it doesn't look any different from the Sony SA series. Someone needs to take these apart and inspect the goings on.
wink.gif

Regardless of how they look or even if they are the same drivers, I was stunned at how different the SA5k sound from the 010.

Other than sharing the general characteristic of being very fast and treble happy headphones, tonally and in nearly every other respect the two sound completely different. I love both of them for that.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #43 of 122
Stuble
"Big step up from the Lambda Signatures? I doubt it. Big step up from the K1000? Definitely not."

Well I would definitely like to own a pair of K1000 But the price is pretty high right now. I was going to big again on a ebay pair but the price jumped from $450 to $1255 today and there is still a day left. I think there may be a game being played with the bidding on that one though. Looking at the serial number range there must be a whole lot of K1000 out there. They are unique and innovative as compared to a design like the HD800 that looks as though it was stolen from Sony. The idea that the headphone never touches the ear that must add something. I think thats why I never liked buds.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #44 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stuble
"Big step up from the Lambda Signatures? I doubt it. Big step up from the K1000? Definitely not."

Well I would definitely like to own a pair of K1000 But the price is pretty high right now. I was going to big again on a ebay pair but the price jumped from $450 to $1255 today and there is still a day left. I think there may be a game being played with the bidding on that one though. Looking at the serial number range there must be a whole lot of K1000 out there. They are unique and innovative as compared to a design like the HD800 that looks as though it was stolen from Sony. The idea that the headphone never touches the ear that must add something. I think thats why I never liked buds.

Again, Jay, here you go again...

The HD800s have to be one of the most unique and best sounding headphones I've ever heard. Their build quality is outstanding and please stop trying to make yourself feel better by slagging something just because it is out of reach....sheesh.
mad.gif

FWIW, the K1000s would never go for under $500 unless the seller was a complete idiot. Nice try though.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #45 of 122
Well MacedonianHero you seem to support them like those "Apple Computer" people. Why has there been at least 2 HD800 in the for sale section that are either nicked or tarnished from what I have seen? Once the paint starts wearing off what do you think they will look like? I don't know why you don't think I can't afford them? I am taking a course for my apprenticeship at the moment but before that I was working 24 days on and 4 off in the oil sands up here in Alberta. A full week was $1850. One job in early 2008 was $2650 for a week. It's not the money its the value for the money and a company that looks to be stealing its innovation from another. Look at the Qualia and the HD800 or SA5000 side by side. Sennheiser has been around a long time have they ever had a headphone similar to the HD800? It doesn't matter how new or green friendly HD800 plastic is its still low class and cheap for the money and probably won't look very good after a few years with use. Even plastic with the same color that goes 100% through will hold up with time. A couple other things that disgust about Sennheiser is look at the HE60 doesn't look like they hold up well. Also how the HD600 use to be worshiped and now its considered veiled and middle of the road. Senneheiser is a hype machine and I believe other brands that have as good or even better headphones are talked down so they are a level below. The most expensive Sennheiser I have heard is the HD555 and I thought it was very veiled and even Ksc75 was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back